Federal College of Education, Kano – The Governing Council of Federal College of Education, Kano, invites applications from suitably qualified candidates for appointment to the position below:
Job Title: Provost
- Candidates for the post must demonstrate evidence of strong academic and administrative leadership, initiative and creativity in policy formulation, good human relations, positive managerial attributes and ability to attract funds to the College, both locally and internationally.
- The Provost is the Chief Executive Officer of the College. He or she is required to provide sound academic, administrative and professional leadership to the College in executing the policies laid down by the Governing Council towards the attainment of the mission and vision of the College. Among others, some specific duties of the Provost include being:
- The Chief Academic, Administrative and Accounting Officer of the College
- The Chairman of the Academic Board that directs and oversees academic activities of the College
- A member of the Governing Council of the College in charge of providing periodic reports on the progress of the College in terms of personnel finances and infrastructure and ensuring that the decisions of Council are carried out promptly.
- Responsible for approving and authorizing all payments and expenditures of the College in accordance with the financial regulations, treasury circulars and Governing Council’s decisions/directives under sound financial discipline and management.
- He or she shall foster good rapport with the Federal Ministry of Education. National Commission for Colleges of Education (NCCE), Tertiary Education Trust Fund (TetFund) and other bodies that the College relates with for the smooth conduct of its affairs.
- Candidate should possess a Doctorate Degree from a recognized University in a field relevant to at least one programme in the College. He/she should be a registered and active member of a Professional Association in the field of Education.
- The possession of a Professional Teaching qualification, a minimum of Nigeria Certificate in Education (NCE) or Post Graduate Diploma in Education (PGDE), is MANDATORY. Registration as a professional teacher with the TRCN will be an added advantage.
- Candidate must not be above sixty (60) years of age at the time of taking up the appointment.
- Candidate must possess a minimum of fifteen (15) years post qualification teaching/research experience in an Institution of higher learning; and in addition must have also held senior teaching, research and high administrative posts in a Tertiary Institution as evidence of ability to manage human and material resources.
- Candidate must be a Chief Lecturer with at least five(5) years cognate experience.
- Candidate must be of good conduct and character, and possess high sense of discipline and dedication. He or she must be able to command the respect and loyalty of the members of staff and students of the College. He or she must be someone who is not likely to promote personal, social, ethnic, political, religious and other sectional interests.
- Candidate must he proficient in ICT skills and packages.
- Candidate must be a person of vision, a goal setter who can produce and execute a strategic plan for the College. In addition, he/she must have drive and resourcefulness in attracting funds to the College
- Candidate must have evidence of community service both at local and national level.
Terms of Appointment
- The appointment is for an initial period of four (4) years in the 4’irst instance and may be eligible for re-appointment for a second term of four (4) years and no more.
- The salary attached to the post is according to a special scheme of service and is consolidated.
Job Title: Bursar
- A candidate for the post should be resourceful and conversant with current federal government financial rules and regulations as is applicable in particular to Federal Colleges of Education in Nigeria.
- He should be honest, transparent and capable of providing sound leadership in financial management and administration.
- The Bursar is a Principal Officer of the College. He is the Chief Financial Officer of the College and is responsible to the Provost for the day-to-day Administration and control of the financial affairs of the Institution,
- Among others, sonic specific duties of the Bursar include:
- Planning, organizing, coordinating and executing the financial affairs of the College in accordance with the Government financial regulations. treasury circulars and the Governing Council’s decisions/directives tinder sound financial discipline and management.
- Maintaining proper books of account and financial records on income and expenditure, as well as assets and liabilities of the College.
- Advising the Provost on all College financial matters.
- Providing regular and special reports to the Governing Council on the College financial matters.
- Coordinating the preparation, submission and defence of the College annual personnel, overhead and capital budget estimates,
- Maintaining an up to date record of Federal Government Financial regulations, directives and circulars.
- Maintaining good rapport with the Government Financial regulatory bodies/agencies to ensure appropriate compliance with Government financial rules and regulations.
- Preparation of the college annual financial statements for statutory audit by external auditors.
- A candidate for the post of Bursar must possess:
- A good honours degree or its equivalent in Accounting or Finance from a recognized Institution, with at least 15 years post qualification cognate experience. Or
- A Masters Degree in Accounting or Finance with at least 15 years post qualification cognate experience.
- Registration with a recognized Professional Body, i.e. ICAN, ANAN, ACCA or recognised equivalent is mandatory
- Candidate must be proficient in ICT skills and packages especially Excel.
- Candidate must not be above fifty nine (59) years of age at the time of taking up the appointment.
Terms of Appointment
The Appointment shall be for a period of 5 years in the first instance and may be renewed for an additional 5 years thereafter.
Deadline: 24th April, 2018.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should submit in twenty (20) copies with up-to-date Curriculum Vitae which must include the following information:
- Full names, Surname underlined.
- Date and Place of Birth.
- Marital Status
- Number and Age of Children
- Geo-Political Zone
- State of Origin
- Current Postal Address
- Permanent Home Address
- Phone Number
- E-mail Address
- Name and Address of Next of Kin
- Educational institutions Attended with Dates
- Academic and Professional Qualifications Obtained with Dates
- Work Experience in chronological sequence with dates
- Membership of Professional Associations/Bodies
- Honorary or Fellowship of Learned Society(ies) (if any)
- Extra-Curricular Activities/Hobbies
- Publications in Relevant Areas/Fields in Standard APA Format
- Names and Addresses of three (3) Referees one of which must be the present employer
Applications should be forwarded to the Registrar/Secretary to Council in a sealed envelope labelled “Post of Provost” to:
The Registrar/Secretary to Council,
Federal College of Education,
In addition, candidates are required to ask their three (3) referees to send Confidential Reports on them to the Registrar/Secretary to Council to be received on or before the closing date.
Note: Only shortlisted candidates will be invited for interview.