Mercy Corps has been present in Nigeria since 2012, focusing its interventions on adolescent girls’ empowerment, economic development and conflict mitigation. With the insurgency spilling over from the North East of Nigeria and causing displacement of millions of individuals, Mercy Corps has decided to address the rising humanitarian needs among displaced households and vulnerable host communities by starting its humanitarian program in July 2014. The Human resources function is discharged by the operation support. The Operations department functions to ensure effective systems that support strategy for healthy, robust and integrated functions of local team members.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Human Resource Assistant
Ref No: MDG/HUMOPS/2018/00006
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Position: Human Resource Assistant
General Position Summary
- Mercy Corps is looking for a Human Resource Assistant who will support the HR Officer in deployment of HR business operation and strategic support services for Maiduguri, Ngala, Dikwa, Damboa, Gwoza, Bama and MCN as a whole.
Essential Job Functions
- Assist in:
- Updating of recruitment tracker
- Under direct supervision, carry out any work required within any talent management or recruitment software
- Handle the recruitment process in liaison with hiring managers and under the instruction of the Human Resource Officer including drafting and placing of adverts, downloading of applications, conducting of prescreening interviews and supplying of shortlists
- Work with other personnel within the Human resource department and relevant managers & other employees to set and deploy the MCN Onboarding matrix for new hires as and when required
- Administer the new hire documentation collation process including filling of all signed Mercy Corps Nigeria paperwork.
HR Business Operations Support:
- Follow Mercy Corps Policies and Procedures for Human Resource Management as stipulated in the Mercy Corps field Administration and National Policy manual.
- Maintain staff personnel files in an MC standardized filing system, making sure all necessary HR paperwork is consistently filed and/or updated as required.
- Under the instruction of the Human Resource Officer and/or Senior Human Resource Officer, receive and file all personnel documentation including pre hire and post hire paperwork, signed personnel forms and any documentation received during the course of employee life cycle. All documentation must be filed in line with the official filing and database management system
- Assist with the collection of monthly timesheets and ensuring original copies are sent.
- Ensure monthly tracking’s staff attendance, hires and terminations
- Conduct him/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to mercy corps and not to jeopardize its humanitarian mission
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by Mercy Corps Country Program.
- Ensure staff fill all medical forms, update staff medical database and provide medical database for review every two weeks
- Maintain confidentiality of all national staff personnel issues including disciplinary procedures and contracts/pay rises.
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
Training and Development Support:
- Track all performance reviews/probationary evaluations and notify supervisory staff accordingly.
- Supporting the Senior HR Officer and HR Officer to monitor all agreed Monitoring all agreed learning & training interventions agreed from Performance or probationary reviews
- Assist the HR Officer in managing of the informal performance evaluation tracker
- Create and run all required monkey surveys to deploy informal performance reviews
- Ensure that staff undertake mandatory trainings including code of conduct, safety, etc.
Employee Engagement Management:
- Participate in any disciplinary meetings and hearings as and when required
- Support the creation of the HR Newsletter and any other staff communication
- Provide support during roll out of general monthly meetings
- Provide support during the management of any MCN cooperative & employee driven welfare schemes.
Finance & Compliance Management:
- Ensure compliance with donor and Mercy Corps regulations related to emergency programming.
- Ensure compliance with all Mercy Corps finance regulation in carrying out activities.
Influence & Representation:
- Identify, build and manage collaborative partnerships with consortium partners, sub-grantees, donors, local governments and other stakeholders.
- Communicate effectively to ensure overall project targets and donor obligations are met.
Accountability to Beneficiaries:
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
Reports Directly To:
- Human Resource Officer and indirectly to the Senior Human Resource Officer.
Works Directly With:
- All program and operations teams.
Knowledge and Experience
- A Degree in Accounting, Economics, Logistics and Procurement Management, Business Management, or related field.
- 1 -2 years’ experience in Administration, logistics and procurement with strong organizational skills, ( with international NGOs is an asset)
- Ability to maintain the procurement and logistics filing system,
- Ability to interact effectively with international and national personnel
- Adaptability to unanticipated circumstances,
- Microsoft Office computer skills and experience with using email.
- Ability to communicate in English, and Hausa
- Proven ability to solve problems independently without supervision.
- The successful candidate will be proactive, creative and a problem solver.
- S/he will be conscientious with an excellent sense of judgment.
- S/he will be able to thrive in a fast-paced environment and will be capable of multitasking.
- S/he will demonstrate strong understanding of cultural and social environment in the region and have the willingness and ability to work effectively with a wide verity of people.
Living /Environmental Conditions:
- This position will be based in Maiduguri with estimated 30% travel, primarily to program locations anywhere within Borno including the currently insecure locations in Borno state.
- Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and Mercy Corps’ policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Deadline: 30th March, 2018.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send not more than 4 page CV and Cover Letter in one document, addressing the position requirements and location to: email@example.com
- All applications must include the position title in the subject line and should not be more than 4 pages.
- Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview and we are an equal opportunity organization so women are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.