INTERSOS is an independent humanitarian organization that assists the victims of natural disasters, armed conflicts and exclusion. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable people.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Protection Project Manager
Location: Monguno LGA with frequent travels to Kukawua LGA and Maiduguri, Borno
Reporting to: Project manager, Project coordinator
Supervision of: Around 20 local staff
Contract duration: 11 months
Start Date: 1st May, 2018.
General context of the Project
PUI, ACTED/REACH, INTERSOS, SI, and TDH will join their efforts to comprehensively address the needs of the most vulnerable populations affected by the conflict in North East Nigeria following a holistic, evidence-based, principled and integrated multi-sector approach.
Significant added value to the quality of the intervention will be enabled through the leverage of the complementarity between the different organizations’ technical expertise, and the different stage of experience in the targeted areas of interventions. Most importantly, the creation of the consortium is born from the joint analysis that after 8 years of protracted crisis, the humanitarian response in North East Nigeria suffers from major shortcomings in terms of coordination, evidence-based analysis of the needs, integrated approach and resources rationalization. By providing an integrated approach, consortiums’ partners aim at ensuring an
Optimized and comprehensive coverage of the most critical needs of the affected population, particularly in hard-to-reach areas where the humanitarian response is little developed. With REACH, a multi-sector needs assessment was conducted that highlighted critical gaps in three LGA of Borno State: MMC, Kukawa and Mobbar LGA. Along with an integrated response, the consortium will ensure protection mainstreaming and will address cross-cutting protection needs (Gender-based violence and Child protection). The objective of this action will be both the delivery of essential services and the strengthening of a protection focused response as a whole, in order to provide the basis for a principled comprehensive intervention, increase sustainability of actions and enhance synergies among implementing partners. In parallel and emergency preparedness and response has been planned, particularly in reaction of epidemic outbreak.
General purpose of the Position
- The Protection Focal Point will technically oversee the protection activities INTERSOS will carry out in the framework of the whole project, ensuring operations quality. S/he must be able to motivate and lead a diverse staff.
- Relevant degree and/or equivalent GBV working experience.
- Relevant working experience of at least 3 years and previous Humanitarian experience.
- Strategic vision, leadership, people management, teamwork and flexibility, ability to work under pressure in a highly complex emergency context
- Practical and problem-solver
- Excellent ability to establish inter-personal relations and good negotiation skills
- Good knowledge of MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Good knowledge of the international standard on GBV and Protection
- Excellent organizational skills in highly complex emergency operation
- Able to ensure quick quality delivery in stressful environment
- Very strong interpersonal skills: strong communication and diplomatic skills
- Fully proficient in written and spoken English
- Ability to deal with stress and demanding working environment
- Readiness to commit and adhere to the values, mission and vision of INTERSOS
Main Responsibilities and Tasks
- Supervise implementation of protection activities in a timely manner
- Develop and manage the implementation of/adherence to work plan and M&E plans
- Contribute to ensure that reports are submitted to the leading agency as per the agreed reporting schedule
- Ensure data is collected regularly to respond to agreed indicators
- Contribute to develop project proposals for the GBV sector in Borno State, in close coordination with the technical team, protection focal point and under the supervision of the Coordination of INTERSOS Nigeria;
- Carry out rapid assessments to investigate further programming opportunities inside Borno State;
- Contribute, in strict collaboration and under the supervision of the protection coordinator, to build capacity of INTERSOS in GBV sector, to meet minimum standards for GBV programme in Emergency, including training and mentoring of the staffs with the technical support of the Advisors.
- Technical support for GBV activities throughout the programme providing insights to national and international staff on the standards including tools and methodologies.
- Contribute, in strict collaboration and under the supervision of the protection coordinator, to strengthen the INTERSOS Nigeria protection sector
- Contribute, in strict collaboration and under the supervision of the protection coordinator, to ensure 5W matrices are submitted to the State Clusters as per the agreed reporting schedule
- Contribute, in strict collaboration and under the supervision of the protection coordinator, to represent the program with national authorities, non-state actors, UN agencies, NGOs, donors, etc. in Borno State and in Abuja;
- Recruit and train national staff as required to achieve the project protection objectives.
Application Deadline 11th April, 2018.