Recent HR Manager Job at the International Rescue Committee (IRC)
We are recruiting to fill the vacant position below:
Job Title: HR Manager
- The IRC has been present in Nigeria since 2012 when the organization responded to flooding in Kogi state.
- In February 2014 the IRC moved into Adamawa State in NE Nigeria to provide humanitarian interventions through a multi-sectoral, integrated approach for conflict affected populations.
- IRC Nigeria now operates a country office in Abuja and field offices in Mubi and Yola of Adamawa State, Maiduguri and Monguno of Borno state and Damatru of Yobe State.
- Currently, IRC Nigeria implements programs primary health care, nutrition, environmental health, women’s protection and empowerment, protection, child protection, education, food security & livelihoods
- The HR Manager manages a team of HR staff based in Maiduguri to ensure high quality and efficient staff recruitment, contracts management, orientation, learning and development, performance management, compensation and benefits, code of conduct compliance, employee engagement and staff care.
- The HR Manager reports directly to the HR Lead and Sr. HR/Admin Manager.
- The HR Manager will support the HR lead to adapt and implement Global HR initiatives and practices and serve as an advisor to maximize staffing resources and performance, promote a positive organizational culture, minimize risk and ensure economy and efficiency of work processes.
- Bachelor’s required. Master’s university Degree is a plus.
- Minimum of 5 years, preferably 8 years as an HR generalist, including recruitment, performance management, compensation, training and development and HR Administration.
- Minimum 2 years staff management experience in a fast-paced environment.
- At least 1 year of experience with an international organization or international experience.
- Demonstrated Skills and Competencies:
- A commitment to IRC’s mission and vision
- Knowledge and experience with payroll, benefits administration, compensation benchmarking and utilizing HR metrics to inform decision-making
- Strong training and development skills; experience conducting Training of the Trainer
- Experience and knowledge of recruitment process and practice, including marketing and branding
- Proven ability to plan long-term, organize priorities and work under administrative and programmatic pressures with detail orientation and professional grace.
- Proven sense of professional discretion, integrity, and ability to manage complex HR situations diplomatically and to effective resolution.
- Top-tier written and verbal communication skills;
- Excellent management, interpersonal and negotiation skills and a demonstrated ability to promote harmonious/cohesive teamwork, in a cross cultural context.
- Ability to demonstrate a supportive and consultative approach with direct reports and staff at senior and junior levels
- Very strong proficiency in MS Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint is required.
- Working knowledge of Nigeria labor law.
- English fluency required.
- Travel: 30% of time spent in the field.
- IRC staff must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way – Global Standards for Professional Conduct.
- These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability.
- In accordance with these values, IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti-Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
HR Leadership & Management:
- In collaboration with the Senior Recruitment Officers, analyze Maiduguri approach to attracting, developing, inspiring and retaining the right people with the right skills and make recommendations and implement short-term solutions to improve recruitment time to fill and quality.
- Conduct monthly and quarterly HR metrics and analysis to inform HR Lead decision-making.
- Review job position requests and submit to HR Lead with accurate form, job descriptions and make recommendations, ensuring accuracy, consistency and use of IRC JD and salary benchmarking.
- Manage benefit plans and communicate updates and conduct information campaigns for national staff.
- Oversee HR-related administrative duties and ensure compliance with existing legal and governmental reporting requirements. Ensure all legal obligations are fulfilled.
- Manage employee relations issues and conflicts with professional grace with the aim of empowering employees and supervisors to have the tools and resources necessary to resolve conflicts with mutual respect.
- Escalate code of conduct issues with HR Lead and co-lead investigations and ensure issues are resolved and appropriate follow-up is carried out, in collaboration with the Ethics and Compliance Unit.
- Advise supervisors in determining appropriate disciplinary plans of action. Follow-up disciplinary measures and related employment law matters. Act as impartial mediator in disciplinary procedures and ensure it is administered in an equitable and fair manner and meets all legal and labor regulations and requirements.
- Lead exit management procedure to ensure seamless and positive transition for departing employees; apply learning gained from exit interviews.
- Implement IRC Way Training on Quarterly basis for All Field Program staff.
- Carry-out daily HR-related administrative duties such as updating contracts, generating employee reports and executing compliance-related activities with all existing legal and government reporting requirements
- Other duties assigned by supervisor
Staff Performance Management and Development:
- Coach, train, and mentor staff with the aim of strengthening their technical capacity, exchanging knowledge within the team and providing professional development guidance
- Supervise and mentor direct-report staff, including communicating clear expectations, setting performance objectives, providing regular and timely performance feedback, and providing documented semi-annual performance reviews.
- Provide constructive feedback and counsel on appropriate career paths and professional development.
- Promote and monitor staff care and well-being; approve and manage all leave requests to ensure adequate coverage.
- Support HR Lead to continue to pursue nationalization of senior and management positions.
- Conduct online learning campaigns to tangibly increase the percentage of staff benefiting from e-Cornell and LINGOs courses.
- Communicate frequently and regularly on HR changes, initiatives, programs and offerings.
- Model and encourage active practice of the principles of the “IRC Way – Global Standards for Professional Conduct” throughout the country program.
- Maintain a healthy and empowering office environment that encourages open, honest and productive communication among IRC staff.
Key Working Relationships:
- Position Reports to: HR Lead and Sr. HR Admin Manager
- Indirectly Reports to:
- Position directly supervises: HR Officer and HR Assistant.
- Key Internal Stakeholders: Head of Units, All Maiduguri Based Staff
- Key External Stakeholders: The INGO HR forum; INGO and UN HR staff; Legal counsel
- Monthly salary, 13Month Salary Inclusive, Health Insurance Coverage for Family, Pension, Creche Facilities available for Women with babies under 24 Months.
Deadline: 22nd March, 2018.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Cover Letters and CV’s to “The HR Coordinator IRC” via: IRCNigeria.Recruitment@rescue.org
Hand delivered application should be sent only to the IRC field office in Gwoza or Maiduguri.