The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to people affected by war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Stabilization Center Matron
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Job Purpose Objective
- Under the direct supervision of the Stabilization center Clinical Manager, the Matron will be overall responsible of the daily administration and running of the IRC Stabilization center.
- Professional qualification in Nursing (BSN or Diploma in nursing)
- Registered with the Nigerian Nursing Council
- At least 3years professional experience preferably in a supervisory/in-charge position
- Postgraduate training in public health, health services management or any relevant field is an added advantage
Required Experience & Competencies:
- Good clinical knowledge and skills
- Ability to write clear, concise reports and well developed communication skills
- Excellent organizational, communication, inter-personal, writing, and communication skills required
- Good computer skills (Complete MS Office package and any database management and analysis)
- Must be a team player, flexible and culturally sensitive
- Ready to work in difficult environmental conditions with displaced communities
- Ability to accept the possibility of insecurity in the project areas and obey security rules and standard operating procedures
- In coordination with the Manager, formulate program goals, objectives and intervention strategies and participate in the budgeting process
- Ensure that all center activities are implemented as outlined in the project documents
- Review the program activities and priorities on a regular basis updating the stabilization center Manager on gaps and/or provide recommendations on how to improve quality of services
- Participate in planning and implementing health assessments, surveys and campaigns
- Overall supervision of all nursing staff working at the center, both IRC and MOH as well as the help mothers, registrars and cleaners in both centers.
- Routinely monitor staff performance according to their job description and provide written feedback in a timely manner.
- Manage leave and OFF Duty plans of nursing staff working in the hospital to ensure adequate coverage of the hospital, including nights and weekends
- Compile and submit the call list to the stabilization center Manager at the end of every month for the beginning of the next month
- Convene and attend monthly meetings with the stabilization center Manager, IRC staff and with MOH staff to exchange information and problem solving
- Handle all disciplinary issues as they arise with support of the stabilization center Manager and HR Manager
- Participate in the recruitment process of all nursing positions, including participating in the interview process.
- The matron will work in close coordination with the stabilization center doctor in the daily running and planning of the centers.
- Ensure all stabilization center activities run smoothly and services are provided timely and efficiently
- Ensure quality of care is given to all patients accessing the stabilization center.
- Ensure universal precautions and infection prevention guidelines are followed in service provision
- Organize and conduct regular in-service training and refresher courses for the nursing staff, both IRC staff and MOH.
- Ensure all the centers have written Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) that guide the day to day activities
- Ensure quality of care is maintained through sharing of updated guidelines and protocols in line with MOH, WHO, UNICEF guidelines
- Assist in ordering of medical supplies on a trimester basis, in line with the projected consumption and available funding; and follow up on delivery of the same through the logistics department
- Ensure all medical items for the centers use in the warehouse are released in a timely manner with proper documentation of the same
- Keep an inventory of all of the IRC stabilization center assets, and update this on a monthly basis. Share the same with the stabilization center manager and logistics manager on a monthly basis
- Attend and participate in weekly Continuous Medical Education (CME) sessions at the stabilization center.
- Attend and chair the daily morning stabilization center handover meetings.
- Co-ordinate referrals of in-patients in a timely manner, through the referral officer and stabilization center Manager.
- Identify and follow up on center facility and equipment repairs, with the assistance of the stabilization center manager.
Reporting and Coordination:
- Review, authorize and keep accurate records of all requisitions, duty rosters and applications for leave
- Ensure that all HIS statistical reports are accurate and submitted on a weekly basis
- Evaluation of services through monitoring morbidity and mortality rates through monthly statistical reports.
- Forward hospital daily categorized patients bed occupancy to the stabilization center Manager.
- Keep the stabilization center Manager informed of major issues at the stabilization center without fail
- Maintain an updated record and submit regular inventory reports of center equipment and furniture.
- Carry out other relevant duties as may be required or assigned by your supervisor.
- Key Result Areas
- Overall supervision and coordination of nursing activities
- Ensuring quality of care is given to all patients accessing the stabilization center
- Ensuring proper coverage of all the departments through proper off duty/ leave management
Specific Security Situation/Housing
- The security situation in the NE continues to be volatile at level 3 (orange). Security level as it’s one of the three states of emergency (SoE) in the NE of the country. The candidate should be prepared to implement programming in insecure environments
Monthly salary, 13Month Salary Inclusive, Health Insurance Coverage for Family, Pension, Creche Facilities available for Women with babies under 24 Months.
Deadline: 10th April, 2018.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their Applications addressed to the “Senior Human Resource Manager” via Email: IRCNigeria.Recruitment@rescue.orgSubject of the application should read: Stabilization Centre Matron, Maiduguri
Note: IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability. However, Nigeria nationals are encouraged to apply.