Stakeholder Democracy Network (SDN) Job for Financial Accountant
Stakeholder Democracy Network is an International non-governmental organization that helps facilitate community development from a rights-based perspective. SDN operates in the Niger Delta where it is trying to help the communities affected by oil exploitation and the challenges of resource curse.
SDN has five pillar issues that represent significant long held grievances and acute problems that we are trying to resolve. These are: Access to Energy, Democratisation, Environment, Resilient Communities, and Resource Governance.
SDN is advertising for the vacant position to work in our Nigerian Office:
Job Title: Financial Accountant
Location: Port Harcourt, Rivers
Reporting To: Finance & Administration Manager
Direct Reports: Finance Officer, Finance Assistant
- To create, implement and maintain strong financial systems, processes and controls for the Nigeria organisation to ensure accurate and transparent record keeping and transaction processing.
- This role will require the individual to take responsibility for all financial operations and lead on the company auditing requirements.
- The role will have a strong emphasis on setting and following robust processes and controls with a commitment to integrity, transparency, learning and continuous improvement.
Key Areas of Responsibility
- Systems, Processes and Controls 30%
- Financial Operations 30%
- Financial Review and Performance 20%
- External and Internal Audit 20%
- Minimum education of a degree plus partial qualification of ICAN or other relevant finance qualification
- Spoken and written fluency in English with strong communication skills
- At least 5 years of professional experience, ideally 3+ years of broad financial accounting and operations experience
- Experience of working in a team and managing and developing staff
- Experience of delivering financial transactions through strong internal processes and controls
- Experience of maintaining a control environment through following policies, processes and internal controls
- Experience in financial reporting, audit coordination and liaising with regulatory bodies (e.g. tax)
- Experience of managing funds requests, disbursements, retirements and managing cash operations
- Experience of managing an accounting system and maintaining transparent and appropriate transaction processing
- Ideally a track record in NGO financial accounting
- Strong IT skills with Microsoft packages and a recognised accounting software package (ideally QuickBooks)
- Commitment to instilling a culture of integrity, transparency, learning and continuous improvement
Systems, Processes and Controls:
- Ensure the Chart of Accounts and Project Codes structure is adhered to for recording transactions within the accounting system
- Ensure that documentation for all accounting transactions are complete, transparent and robust
- Ensure monthly controls and reconciliations are performed with petty cash and bank accounts
- Ensure company-wide compliance to grant conditions and internal financial policies and highlighting areas of concern to the Finance & Admin Manager
- Support the review and development of financial policies and make sure they are implemented to maintain integrity and transparency throughout the organisation
- Take responsibility for the posting of financial transactions into the accounting software in an accurate, timely and transparent manner
- Ensure that our paper filing records for accounting transactions, banking and taxes are fully documented, well structured, transparent and easily accessible
- Ensure fund requests for advances, payments and retirements fulfil all requirements as per grant conditions and SDN policies and that they are supported with adequate receipts and documentation
- Ensure that advances are retired promptly and completely
- Oversee the processing of payroll and all relevant pension, taxes and other associated costs
- Ensure consultants, vendors and other stakeholders are paid on time
- Maintain relationships with banking, tax and regulatory authorities to ensure we are up to date and complete for all requirements
- Maintain a fixed asset register and ensure alignment between the accounting system and inventory
Financial Review and Performance:
- Prepare the Nigeria company cash flow projections, monitor variances in actual results and highlight important issues as relevant
- Produce and review balance sheet, income statement and other financial statement reports and send monthly summary reports to SDN Management highlighting issues and trends
- Complete monthly project cash reconciliations and bring any discrepancies to a resolution in order to fully account for donor funds
- Monitor staff advances and send monthly report to SDN Management for review
- Liaise with the UK office to ensure financial operations, transactions and results adhere to company policies and practices
External and Internal Audit:
- Lead on all of the external statutory and programmatic audit processes by preparing the accounts and providing all required financial information, documentation and analysis.
- Lead the SDN internal audit process in Nigeria by liaising with the UK office and providing all documentation as required.
- Review, propose and implement solutions for taking corrective actions for all audit recommendations and findings
Salary for the role is commensurate with experience and education, with excellent benefits.
Deadline: 10th April, 2018.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their cover letter and Curriculum Vitae to: firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com
- Please also indicate on your application where you found out about this job advertisement.
- Your application will be reviewed but only shortlisted candidates will receive further correspondence.