Vacancy for Senior Accountant at FHI 360
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Accountant
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Reports to: Finance Manager
- To provide accounting and financial support to the FHI 360 Nigeria state programs.
- Capable of performing responsibilities of a Senior Finance & Administrative Officer, Grade 10.
- High School/GED and 11 – 13 years relevant experience; or AA and 9 – 11 years relevant experience;
- BS/BA in Accounting or Finance or related field, and 7 – 9 years combined experience in accounting/budgeting management; or MS/MA/MBA with 5 – 7 years combined experience in accounting/budgeting management.
- Ensure that financial accounting and management practices and procedures in assigned projects are consistent with those of FHI 360 and the respective donors.
- Perform appropriate payment previews to ensure that they are adequately supported, allocated, valid and in compliance with FHI 360 and the specific donor rules and regulations.
- Review the travel expense reports and other advances accounting with the objective of ensuring appropriate accountability of the advances provided.
- Ensure that accurate and appropriate accounting is adhered to by the sub-recipients through comprehensive financial reviews of the submitted monthly financial reports.
- Assist in drafting responses to finance related questions, audits and requests from donors of assigned projects and secure management approval before submission
- Manage and review financial functions (check requests, wire transfers, and journal entries) related to assigned projects Provide direction, oversight, and interpretation of accounting polices and procedures that guide the day- to-day operations related to assigned projects.
- Advise FHI 360 Nigeria Management on issues and concerns relating to the financial management and status of assigned tasks and responsibilities.
- Manage and provide complete and updated FHI 360 Nigeria state Office inventory details as required by FHI 360 and the respective donors.
- This would involve obtaining additional relevant information from the poerations unit regarding inventory location/end-user distribution. Ensure timely submission of accurate reports to all funders of assigned projects.
- Analyze, develop, and monitor accounting/fiscal control procedures and program budgets for assigned projects.
- Address any challenges encountered with the country office cash advance and/or other financial discrepancies.
- Maintain detailed records for audit purposes, and provide support on budget development and implementation. This includes the analysis of project budgets.
- Manage costs proposals in response to RFA’s, RFP’s and unsolicited proposals for new funding opportunities as needed.
- Prepare financial guidance memos with special attention to recurring problems.
- Supervise the reconciliation of accounts by accounting staff both in the country office and zonal offices.
- Initiate and participate in the resolution of outstanding balances based on reviewed reconciliation of accounts.
- Prepare financial reports to monitor and track fund obligations and expenditures.
- Ensure proper funding sources are charged and necessary approvals obtained by reviewing travel authorizations
- Ensure availability of funds by reviewing Final Cost Objective (FCO) requests and enter budgets into the general ledger system.
- Provide overall leadership and guidance related to financial management of assigned projects to ensure day-to-day operations of accounting functions are addressed in a timely, efficient, and proactive manner.
- Supervise, coach, and mentor, to include assigning of responsibilities, conducting performance reviews, assessing and identifying development opportunities that strengthen the organizational role of Finance.
- Work with Management to ensure coordinated organizational responses for standardization of practices and problem resolution.
Expertise and Complexity:
- Knowledge of Global Fund and USAID grants, accounting, reporting, contracting and auditing standards as they apply to effective management of multi-year grants.
- Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles, internal control systems, budgeting and fiscal control theory and practices. Budget development skills with multi funding sources and general ledger skills.
- Relevant software skills to include automated accounting software, database software, spreadsheets and Management Information Systems.
- Work independently with initiative to manage high volume work flow, may structure work of staff members.
Type and Nature of Contacts:
- Routine coordination with FHI 360 employees and consultants, on-site and in the field.
- Work with and relate to scientific/technical personnel who may have little or no knowledge of fiscal control procedures and practices. Interact with country offices and regional staff members.
- Knowledge of Global Fund, USAID or other client funded programs, including procedures and regulations.
- Resourceful through technology, research skills, and relationship building among several organization teams and units and professional organizations.
- Perform detail-oriented work with a high level of accuracy. Has strong written and verbal communication skills. Interact with diplomacy and tact and follow-up on requests in timely and efficient manner.
- Maintain confidentiality for sensitive issues or projects and use judgment and decision-making to execute duties and responsibilities. Knowledge of FHI 360 and organizational groupings.
- Work independently with initiative to manage high volume and sensitive work flow, may structure work of staff members.
The following is a summary of fringe benefits provided by FHI 360 to eligible employees:
- Comprehensive medical plans (PPOs)
- Dental insurance
- Vision coverage
- Group life and AD&D insurance
- Health savings account
- Long-term disability
- Medical and dependent care flexible spending accounts (FSAs)
- Dependent life insurance
- Business travel insurance
- Supplemental personal accident insurance
- Supplemental disability
- Life insurance
- Paid vacation, sick and parental leave
- 403(b) retirement plan
- Pension plan
Other benefits (will vary depending on work location):
- Public transportation program
- On-site fitness center
- Local credit union membership
- Health and wellness program
- Employee assistance program
- Qualified tuition programs (529 plans)
- Bicycle subsidy
- Legal assistance plan
- Pet insurance
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online