FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in health, education, nutrition, environment, economic development, civil society, gender, youth, research and technology – creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today’s interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 70 countries and all U.S. states and territories.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Accountant
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Reports to: Finance Manager
- To provide accounting and financial support to the FHI 360 Nigeria state programs.
- Capable of performing responsibilities of a Senior Finance & Administrative Officer, Grade 10.
- High School/GED and 11 – 13 years relevant experience; or AA and 9 – 11 years relevant experience;
- BS/BA in Accounting or Finance or related field, and 7 – 9 years combined experience in accounting/budgeting management; or MS/MA/MBA with 5 – 7 years combined experience in accounting/budgeting management.
- Ensure that financial accounting and management practices and procedures in assigned projects are consistent with those of FHI 360 and the respective donors.
- Perform appropriate payment previews to ensure that they are adequately supported, allocated, valid and in compliance with FHI 360 and the specific donor rules and regulations.
- Review the travel expense reports and other advances accounting with the objective of ensuring appropriate accountability of the advances provided.
- Ensure that accurate and appropriate accounting is adhered to by the sub-recipients through comprehensive financial reviews of the submitted monthly financial reports.
- Assist in drafting responses to finance related questions, audits and requests from donors of assigned projects and secure management approval before submission
- Manage and review financial functions (check requests, wire transfers, and journal entries) related to assigned projects Provide direction, oversight, and interpretation of accounting polices and procedures that guide the day- to-day operations related to assigned projects.
- Advise FHI 360 Nigeria Management on issues and concerns relating to the financial management and status of assigned tasks and responsibilities.
- Manage and provide complete and updated FHI 360 Nigeria state Office inventory details as required by FHI 360 and the respective donors.
- This would involve obtaining additional relevant information from the poerations unit regarding inventory location/end-user distribution. Ensure timely submission of accurate reports to all funders of assigned projects.
- Analyze, develop, and monitor accounting/fiscal control procedures and program budgets for assigned projects.
- Address any challenges encountered with the country office cash advance and/or other financial discrepancies.
- Maintain detailed records for audit purposes, and provide support on budget development and implementation. This includes the analysis of project budgets.
- Manage costs proposals in response to RFA’s, RFP’s and unsolicited proposals for new funding opportunities as needed.
- Prepare financial guidance memos with special attention to recurring problems.
- Supervise the reconciliation of accounts by accounting staff both in the country office and zonal offices.
- Initiate and participate in the resolution of outstanding balances based on reviewed reconciliation of accounts.
- Prepare financial reports to monitor and track fund obligations and expenditures.
- Ensure proper funding sources are charged and necessary approvals obtained by reviewing travel authorizations
- Ensure availability of funds by reviewing Final Cost Objective (FCO) requests and enter budgets into the general ledger system.
- Provide overall leadership and guidance related to financial management of assigned projects to ensure day-to-day operations of accounting functions are addressed in a timely, efficient, and proactive manner.
- Supervise, coach, and mentor, to include assigning of responsibilities, conducting performance reviews, assessing and identifying development opportunities that strengthen the organizational role of Finance.
- Work with Management to ensure coordinated organizational responses for standardization of practices and problem resolution.
Expertise and Complexity:
- Knowledge of Global Fund and USAID grants, accounting, reporting, contracting and auditing standards as they apply to effective management of multi-year grants.
- Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles, internal control systems, budgeting and fiscal control theory and practices. Budget development skills with multi funding sources and general ledger skills.
- Relevant software skills to include automated accounting software, database software, spreadsheets and Management Information Systems.
- Work independently with initiative to manage high volume work flow, may structure work of staff members.
Type and Nature of Contacts:
- Routine coordination with FHI 360 employees and consultants, on-site and in the field.
- Work with and relate to scientific/technical personnel who may have little or no knowledge of fiscal control procedures and practices. Interact with country offices and regional staff members.
- Knowledge of Global Fund, USAID or other client funded programs, including procedures and regulations.
- Resourceful through technology, research skills, and relationship building among several organization teams and units and professional organizations.
- Perform detail-oriented work with a high level of accuracy. Has strong written and verbal communication skills. Interact with diplomacy and tact and follow-up on requests in timely and efficient manner.
- Maintain confidentiality for sensitive issues or projects and use judgment and decision-making to execute duties and responsibilities. Knowledge of FHI 360 and organizational groupings.
- Work independently with initiative to manage high volume and sensitive work flow, may structure work of staff members.
The following is a summary of fringe benefits provided by FHI 360 to eligible employees:
- Comprehensive medical plans (PPOs)
- Dental insurance
- Vision coverage
- Group life and AD&D insurance
- Health savings account
- Long-term disability
- Medical and dependent care flexible spending accounts (FSAs)
- Dependent life insurance
- Business travel insurance
- Supplemental personal accident insurance
- Supplemental disability
- Life insurance
- Paid vacation, sick and parental leave
- 403(b) retirement plan
- Pension plan
Other benefits (will vary depending on work location):
- Public transportation program
- On-site fitness center
- Local credit union membership
- Health and wellness program
- Employee assistance program
- Qualified tuition programs (529 plans)
- Bicycle subsidy
- Legal assistance plan
- Pet insurance
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online