FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in health, education, nutrition, environment, economic development, civil society, gender, youth, research and technology – creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today’s interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 70 countries and all U.S. states and territories.
We are currently seeking qualified candidates for the position below:
Job Title: Assistant Technical Officer, Environmental Health
Job ID: 2018200262
Location: Damasak, Borno
Supervisor: WASH Coordinator
- Northeast Nigeria is currently facing a growing humanitarian crisis with a vast number of Internally Displaced Persons in need of emergency assistance
- FHI360 has been working in Nigeria for over 30 years and is now expanding activities in Borno state to respond to the IDP crisis.
- FHI360 is expanding its expertise by responding to this humanitarian crisis through integrated WASH, Health and Protection interventions
- These IDPs are living among host communities, lacking access to livelihoods and resources, ultimately leading to unprecedented levels of malnutrition and food insecurity
- The Assistant Technical Officer, Environmental Health Officer will provide technical and programmatic support in one of the three field sites. Under the supervision of the WASH Coordinator, the Environmental Health Officer will monitor and train Community Volunteers on their hygiene promotion to IDPs
- Other responsibilities will also include training volunteers and community/camp leaders on safe waste management practices, and providing support on activities related to environmental health at the health clinic.
Qualifications and Requirements
- B.A/B.S in field related to WASH
- 1 to 3 years relevant experience with a sound understanding of hygiene in humanitarian relief settings.
- Familiarity with Humanitarian NGOs.
Knowledge, Skills & Attributes:
- Knowledge of WASH and humanitarian programming in emergency situations.
- Ability to manage tight deadlines and deliver high volumes of work with minimal supervision.
- High degree of proficiency in written and spoken English & Hausa communication.
- WASH technical expertise especially in regards to waste management and hygiene promotion.
- Ability to work well with others and to develop and maintain compatibility among project staff, subcontractors, consultants and recipients of assistance.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide day to day operational and programmatic support to all WASH & Health activities.
- Works closely with assigned team to ensure activities are implemented according to standard operating procedures (SOP’s).
- Oversee activities related to hygiene and environmental health promotion at field site and additionally, at the health facilities.
- Build capacity of Community Volunteers (CHWs) through waste management trainings and hygiene promotion.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online