UN Women – In July 2010, the United Nations General Assembly created UN Women, the United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women. In doing so, UN Member States took an historic step in accelerating the Organization’s goals on gender equality and the empowerment of women. The creation of UN Women came about as part of the UN reform agenda, bringing together resources and mandates for greater impact. It merges and builds on the important work of four previously distinct parts of the UN system, which focused exclusively on gender equality and women’s empowerment.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Policy Specialist, Humanitarian, Peace and Security
Type of Contract: Individual Contract
Post Level: International Consultant
Languages Required: English
Starting Date: 1st June, 2018.
Duration of Initial Contract: 8 Months
Expected Duration of Assignment: 8 Months
Required Skills and Experience
Education and certification:
- Master’s degree or equivalent in Peace and Security, human rights, international relations or other social science fields is required.
- At least 5 years progressively responsible experience in designing and implementing programmes on humanitarian and women’s participation in politics and peace and security processes ideally with some experience in Africa
- Experience in project implementation, monitoring and evaluation
- Experience in proposal development, policy analysis, and strategic planning;
- Experience working with, and building partnerships with governments, donors and civil society organizations internationally and in the field;
- Technical experience of implementing women’s economic empowerment and livelihood projects
- Experience in working with women in politics is an asset
- Experience working with the UN is an asset;
- Experience working in Nigeria is an asset.
- Fluency in English is required;
- Knowledge of any other UN official working language is an asset;
Duties and Responsibilities
Functions/ Key results expected:
- Facilitate the launch, initial consultative dialogue meetings and other processes to kick-start implementation of the UN Women PERD project
- Develop an implementation plan of the PERD project with timelines and milestones to be achieved within the project implementation period
- Establish the requisite project oversight management structures in Borno and Yobe States and develop Terms of Reference for their effective operation, including ensuring synergies with other humanitarian and development programmes
- Support the recruitment process of new staff for the project
- Develop TORs for the recruitment of consultants for the following studies: the assessment of the formal and informal judiciary system, a research on preferred and economically empowering livelihoods activities by women, and Mapping the level of representation of women in leadership committees
- Support consultants with the requisite documents to facilitate desk reviews on the above studies
- Provide technical support to the project team to facilitate the roll-out and implementation of project activities
- Support project monitoring activities and delivery of reporting requirements
- Facilitate the process of developing an MOU to be signed between UN Women and The ECOWAS Commission
- Elaborate an Action Plan for the operationalization of the MOU between UN Women and The ECOWAS Commission
- Develop a proposal for resource mobilization for the ECOWAS Female Parliamentarians Association (ECOFEPA)
- A detailed costed concept note and plan for the launch of the PERD project
- An implementation plan of the PERD project with timelines and milestones to be achieved within the project implementation period
- TOR for project oversight management structures in Borno and Yobe States
- TORs for the recruitment of consultants for the following studies: the assessment of the formal and informal judiciary system, a research on preferred and economically empowering livelihoods activities by women, and Mapping the level of representation of women in leadership committees
- A signed MOU between UN Women and The ECOWAS Commission
- An Action Plan for the operationalization of the MOU between UN Women and The ECOWAS Commission
- A Resource mobilization proposal for the ECOWAS Female Parliamentarians Association (ECOFEPA).
Key Performance Indicators
- Timely and quality technical advice and support
- Leadership in area of expertise in the region
- Quality reports and other strategic documents drafted and submitted in a timely manner
- Strong relationships with various partners and stakeholders
- Timely and quality resource mobilization and knowledge products
- Quality monitoring and reporting
- Increased awareness about UN Women’s work
- Increased cooperation and communication between UN Women and the humanitarian partners in Borno and Yobe States
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example.
- Excellent knowledge of Gender, Humanitarian, Peace and Security issues, including in Nigeria
- Excellent project implementation, monitoring and Evaluation skills
- Excellent networking skills
- Excellent writing skills including the writing of policy papers, speeches, briefing notes
- Ability to interact with donors, identify and analyze trends, opportunities and threats to fundraising
- Ability to advocate and provide policy advice
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills;
- Strong knowledge of programme development, implementation, results based management and reporting
- Ability to develop detailed operational plans, budgets, and deliver on results
- Ability to lead formulation of strategies and their implementation.
Application Deadline 14th May, 2018
Job Title: Communications Consultant for UN Women PERD Project
Additional Category: Gender Equality
Type of Contract: Individual Contract
Post Level: National Consultant
Languages Required: English
Starting Date (date when the selected candidate is expected to start): 01-Jun-2018
Duration of Initial Contract: 6 Months
Expected Duration of Assignment: 6 Months
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
UN Women, with the support of the Government of Japan, is implementing a project on Protection, Empowerment and Resilience Building in Borno and Yobe States. The project will empower communities and build resilience through promoting social and behavior change including women’s empowerment to mitigate and address the root causes of GBV as well as promote access to information and services. It will support need-based and market driven income generating activities (IGAs) for vulnerable women with the necessary technical and financial support to empower women economically and reduce the risk of GBV. The project will also support male involvement and participation to promote positive behavior change to reduce GBV and put a strong focus on the collection of gender disaggregated data for evidence based planning.
In the context of the project, UN Women is recruiting a Communication Consultant to set up the communication components of the PERD Project.
Reporting to the Program Coordinator, the Communication Consultant will be responsible for the development of the project communication and advocacy strategy and a detailed communications and monitoring plan which is geared towards awareness raising of gender equality and the empowerment of women, promote public and media outreach, and increase visibility of key programmatic results and UN Women Country Office Program initiatives in Nigeria. The Consultant will work closely with UN Women’s communication officer in Nigeria and UN Women Communication teams at both regional and HQ level.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
- Formulate a communications, advocacy and outreach strategy for UN Women PERD Project including a knowledge management strategy, as per the project proposal that is aligned to the Country office, UN Women global communications strategy and the donor’s expectations.
- Develop an elaborate a communications plan and Monitoring and Evaluation framework for tracking and assessing progress and performance of the implementation of communications and advocacy activities of the project
- Lead and coordinate the project launch event: develop a strategy for the launch that details activities before, during and after the event and cover the launch of UN Women PERD Project (including briefing materials, press release and dissemination of the information via multiple channels (print, radio, TV, social media)
- Provide technical support to other communication activities of the Country Office
- A full-fledged communication, advocacy and outreach strategy for the PERD project including the roll-out of the HeForShe Campaign at the State level to involve traditional male leaders in the project. The strategy should detail the messages, target audience, channels, social media plan and a budget.
- A detailed communications plan, Monitoring and Evaluation Framework for tracking the implementation of the communication components of the project.
- Project launch strategy leading to a successful coverage of the launch of the PERD project; detailed activities for before, during and after the event.
- Branding of the project in line with UN Women branding and Government of japan guidelines. Behavior change communication material designed and available
- Create a contact database for the project that is updated on a quarterly basis.
- A knowledge-management strategy for the PERD project
- Weekly media monitoring report on project relevant news; and shared with the key audience (contact database)
- Understands advanced concepts of communication
- Continues to seek new and improved methods and systems for accomplishing his/her work
- Keeps abreast of new developments in communication and seeks to develop him/herself professionally;
- Demonstrates comprehensive knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments.
- Integrity: Demonstrate consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct
- Professionalism: Demonstrate professional competence and expert knowledge of the pertinent substantive areas of work.
- Cultural sensitivity and valuing diversity:Demonstrate an appreciation of the multicultural nature of the organization and the diversity of its staff. Demonstrate an international outlook, appreciating difference in values and learning from cultural diversity.
- Ethics and Values: Demonstrate and safeguard ethics and integrity
- Organizational Awareness: Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Development and Innovation: Take charge of self-development and take initiative
- Work in Teams: Demonstrate ability to work in a multicultural, multi ethnic environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
- Communicating and Information Sharing: Facilitate and encourage open communication and strive for effective communication
- Self-management and Emotional Intelligence: Stay composed and positive even in difficult moments, handle tense situations with diplomacy and tact, and have a consistent behavior towards others
- Conflict Management: Surface conflicts and address them proactively acknowledging different feelings and views and directing energy towards a mutually acceptable solution
- Appropriate and Transparent Decision Making: Demonstrate informed and transparent decision making
Knowledge Management and Learning:
- Shares knowledge and experience and contributes to UN Women Practice Areas
- Develops knowledge in Practice Areas
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more Practice Areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills
Development and Operational Effectiveness:
- Ability to implement communications and publications strategies
- Advocates effectively
- Communicates sensitively and effectively across different constituencies
- Excellent communication skills, excellent writing skills
- Ability to conceptualize issues and analyze data
- Demonstrates strong IT skills
- Sharing knowledge across the organization and building a culture of knowledge sharing and learning. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member;
Management and Leadership:
- Focuses on impact and result
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Ability to remain calm, in control and good humored even under pressure and tight deadlines
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities
- Responds positively to critical feedback and differing points of view
- Solicits feedback about the impact of his/her own behavior
Required Skills and Experience
Education and Experience:
- Master’s Degree in Media/Communication Studies, Journalism, Public Relations or other related Social Sciences with at least 5 years of relevant experience at the national or international level in public relations, communications or advocacy, preferably in gender issues.
- Fluency in English both in speaking and writing
- Knowledge of another UN working language is an asset.
Application Deadline 4th May, 2018.