Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we collaborate to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within, now and for the future. In Nigeria, Mercy Corps operates in over 13 states focusing on key thematic areas of humanitarian response, conflict mitigation and adolescent girls’ empowerment.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Logistics Officer
Reference Number: MDG/HUMOPS/2018/00013
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Position Status: Full-time Regular Employee
Program / Department Summary
- With the insurgency affecting North East Nigeria and displacing millions of people, Mercy Corps is expanding its humanitarian programming to support the conflict-affected population
- As a result of the wide-scale needs, Mercy Corps is scaling-up food security, non-food items, nutrition, protection, livelihoods, and water sanitation hygiene (WASH) activities in Dikwa, Ngala, and Jere Local Government Areas in Borno State to address emergency needs.
General Position Summary
- Mercy Corps is looking for a strong Senior Logistics Officer Position who will be required to perform program support logistic duties in a timely and effective manner.
Essential Job Functions
- Ensure that logistical support is delivered to multiple hubs in different geographical areas in Borno.
- Ensures that procedures outlined in the Mercy Corps Asset Management Manual will be implemented in Mercy Corps Offices.
- Advises colleagues on guidelines of Mercy Corps asset and equipment use guidelines.
- Ensures all lost, damage, sold, stolen (or other) items are properly recorded in with an approved Disposal of Assets form. Ensure any necessary, supplement documentation is completed;
- Advises supervisor on any broken, damaged or destroyed equipment;
- Ensures that all movement of items should go through the Logs, on “GRNs or an Asset Movement Form”.
- Assists and coordinate project staff on inventory issues. Assist in providing end of project reports on inventory and equipment lists, locations and status;
- Maintain inventories of all Mercy Corps premises (non-expendable properties) conduct regular checks (quarterly).
- Responsible for logging all new Mercy Corps assets in the asset register and ensuring the appropriate coding and tags are placed on each item. Regularly updates asset register with changes and new acquisitions;;
- Responsible for coordinating with the procurement and finance office in identifying all details of assets such as buying price, ledger reference, PR, PO and GRN number etc. The asset register should be accurate and complete;
- Responsible to maintain the stock of Mercy Corps assets that are not checked out and in use;
- Responsible for checking in/out Mercy Corps owned equipment to authorized staff using the standard Mercy Corps procedures and forms outlined in the Asset Management Manual;
- Responsible for the timely preparation of documentation of any movement of assets in Mercy Corps formats;
- Schedules and conducts physical count of assets on different locations, projects and sites;
- Provides a monthly physical count/check where all assets are located and their status confirmed; coordinate with the responsible officer for tracking assets in other offices to ensure the locations and status of assets that have moved between offices;
- Updates the electronic database monthly and provides an electronic copy to Operations Manager; A hard copy is printed, signed and filed in the assets folder;
- Responsible for oversight of vehicle rentals including tracking of service agreements and payments.
- Ensures trip tickets are used by program staff and approved by necessary persons.
- Administrates movement of sat phones, ensuring phones are always charged and operational
- Maintains vehicle movement board daily.
- Oversees and ensures proper use of the vehicles.
- Oversees fuel consumption and tracking; prepares fuel reimbursement payments
- Participate in disciplinary measures for drivers.
- Coordinate with communications department to ensure regular vehicle communications.
- Ensure that security incident reports are completed and filed (if related to vehicles).
- Ensure that accident reports are completed and filed.
- Ensures that all vehicles are safe and road-worthy.
- Ensures that all vehicles have proper on-board vehicle documentation.
- Maintains administrative vehicle files for each vehicle.
- Continuous tracking of vehicle log-sheets; responsible for monthly compilation and submission of log-sheets.
- Coordinates weekly movement plans and schedules vehicle use to meet programmatic and operational needs.
- Booking UNHAS flights to different MC filed offices.
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission in country of operation;
- Other duties as assigned
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
- Logistic Assistant
- Reports Directly To: Senior Operations Officer
- Works Directly With: All program, M&E team and operations team
Knowledge and Experience
- A Degree in Accounting, Economics, Logistics and Procurement Management, Business Management, or related field (with international NGOs is an asset)
- Three to four years’ experience in logistics and procurement with strong organizational skills.
- A demonstrated ability to multi-task and process information into action as to not delay program activities.
- A clear understanding of procurement ethics and donor compliance is essential.
- Ability to maintain the procurement and logistics filing system,
- Ability to interact effectively with international and national personnel
- Adaptability to unanticipated circumstances,
- Microsoft Office computer skills and experience with using email.
- A willingness to travel throughout the project areas in the assigned Area of Responsibility
- Proven ability to solve problems independently without supervision
- Conscientious with as excellent sense of judgment
- Ability to work simultaneously on multiple tasks.
- Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours
- Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and Mercy Corps’ policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues
- Willingness and ability to work effectively with a wide variety of people.
- Ability to work as part of a team and coordinate with project personnel.
- Good spoken and written English
- Computer literate and strong organizational skills.
- Successful Mercy Corps team members have a strong commitment to teamwork and accountability, thrive in evolving and challenging environments, and make effective written and verbal communication a priority.
How To Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send not more than 4-page CV’s and Cover Letters in one document, addressing the position requirements and location to: email@example.com
Application Deadline 24th April, 2018.
- All applications must include the position title and reference number in the subject line and should not be more than 4 pages.
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview and we are an equal opportunity organization so women are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.