Stanbic IBTC Bank is a leading African banking group focused on emerging markets globally. It has been a mainstay of South Africa’s financial system for 150 years, and now spans 16 countries across the African continent.
Standard Bank is a firm believer in technical innovation, to help us guarantee exceptional client service and leading edge financial solutions. Our growing global success reflects our commitment to the latest solutions, the best people, and a uniquely flexible and vibrant working culture. To help us drive our success into the future, we are looking for resourceful individuals to join our dedicated team at our offices.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Credit Evaluation Manager
Job ID: 32173
Location: Lagos Island
Job Sector: Banking
- Group Risk Management: understanding all risks from the economic to the political that could affect our global business, and offering guidance to all parts of the bank
- To provide effective value adding risk management to assist Business Banking in achieving their asset growth targets, whilst maintaining a quality-lending book, through effective underwriting, evaluation and approval of credit applications.
- The delivery of a professional service to all business units, by assessing and evaluating credit facilities (new and/or existing) based on sound credit & financial principles, whilst adhering to the Bank’s group credit risk standards, maintaining credit independence and managing risk reward balance.
Preferred Qualifications and Experience
- First Degree in Business Commerce/ Finance and Accounting/Mathematical Sciences
- Business Banking 7 – 10 years in managing commercial banking and other Strategic Business Units’ relationships.
- Professional qualification (ACIB), ACA, ACCA, ACIS
- Master’s Degree is an added advantage
- Risk Management: 7 – 10 years experience, 5 of which must have been in Credit Risk, credit analysis/evaluation, risk management, business development and portfolio management
- Loan assessment and approval:
- The ability to assess the financial status of a customer or client to determine if they qualify for a loan based on established parameters and criteria.
- Financial Statement Analysis:
- The ability to review balance sheets, income statements, cash flow statements and tax returns to determine the credit risk of the client.
- Operating cashflow analysis:
- Understanding of the elements of a lender’s cash flow and how it will impact the lender’s ability to repay the loans granted.
- Debt Consolidation:
- Knowledge and application of the requirements for loan restructuring, amendments to terms and conditions and the calculation of new repayment amounts.
Evaluation and approval of applications:
- Evaluate accurately credit proposals to ensure they meet sound business criteria and credit risk fall within acceptable parameters within approved turnaround times.
- Identify, quantify and evaluate credit risks in relation to profitability of business proposals and financial viability of Business banking credits.
- Process credit applications and ensure timely and quality credit assessments and decisions are made.
- Good quality asset book in the Business Banking space.
- Asset growth in the Business Banking space.
- Monitor the risk grading of all Business Banking customers using BBRS, Spreadpac and CRS
- Ensures that the Bank’s need to provide adequate controls over the risks encountered in the post-credit granting stage of the credit process are satisfied by ensuring the appropriateness, consistency, validity and enforce-ability of all collateral confirming that all collateral and legal documentation in respect of banking facilities and advances granted have been obtained’ are in legal order and properly housed.
- Ensures all identified credit control events and payment defaults are managed, in order to reduce the roll rate of non-performing loans into lock up portfolio by providing a prompt and orderly turnaround environment in which controls can be exercised to ensure that the Bank is not faced with avoidable losses.
- Minimised losses within budget.
- No adverse audit or CART findings
Governance, risk and compliance:
- Ensures compliance with country adopted standards, policies, mandates and procedures governing activities within the credit space
- Actively participates in Credit Risk Management Committee meetings and watch list committee meetings and provides meaningful input into risk appetite discussions, portfolio management and collections strategies as well as detecting and evaluating shifts or changes in key risk parameters and the effects of such changes on portfolios and relationships.
- Satisfactory ratings from all internal and external audit and similar functions
- Satisfactory capabilities assessment and review from Head Office (CART reviews)
Portfolio Management :
- Effective management of the zonal portfolio to deliver the desired result along asset growth, risk, delinquency and cost containment.
- Ensures that all internal and external reporting is completed accurately, on time and that appropriate value adding insights into the portfolio are provided so that both internal and external users of information have a deep and appropriate insight into the quality of the portfolio and the appropriateness of the processes
- Ensure there are effective controls in place to rectify any identified gaps/risks in the portfolio
- Cost of Credit target not exceeded.
- Accurate and Timeous reporting at all times.
Application Deadline 1st June, 2018.