Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action – helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future. In Nigeria, Mercy Corps has worked since 2012 by focusing its programming on adolescent girls’ empowerment, economic development, conflict mitigation, and humanitarian response.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Consultant (Editing, Copyedit, Proof Reading and Design of Life Skills Manual for ENGINE II)
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
The Educating Nigerian Girls in New Enterprises (ENGINE II) programme seeks to transform the future of marginalized girls who are now between ages 17 to 23 by fulfilling their potential in education and work. The project is funded by the UK Department for International Development’s Girls’ Education Challenge (GEC) and is being implemented by a consortium which includes Mercy Corps – lead implementer, Civil Society Organisations, private and public sector organisations.
The state level implementing partners are Action Health Incorporated (AHI) – Lagos State; Tabitha Cumi Foundation (TCF) – Federal Capital Territory; Kindling Hope Across Nations (KHAN) – Kaduna State and Society for Women Development and Empowerment of Nigeria (SWODEN) – Kano State. The project will follow-up on over 21,000 girls who graduated across the four states in the first phase of the project.
The key approach to working with beneficiaries on the project is the Safe Space methodology deployed in their learning centres. Instructional materials to be used within the learning centres include the Life Skills manual which is a build-up on the one used on ENGINE I.Following series of reviews by expert stakeholders, the manual is ready for the final edit and proof reading prior to printing.
Objectives of the Assignment
The specific objectives of the assignment are to:
- Edit, copyedit and proofread the draft Life Skills manual.
- Design and layout of the Life Skills manual.
- Make necessary revisions of the manual.
Scope of Work
The consultant is responsible for and will deliver on the following tasks:
- Edit, proofread, fill in in gaps in the information provided in the manuals.
- Appropriate use of italicized and bolded words.
- Thorough review of annexes (people consulted, bibliography, etc) to highlight incomplete areas along with consistency in presentation.
- Prepare a complete table of Contents and Acronym List in the manual.
- Proof read designed layout files to ensure a complete print ready file.
- Layout and design the Life Skills manual.
- Correct spelling and appropriate use of words with correct grammar and syntax.
- A consistent style and format throughout the document.
- Correct use of English (United Kingdom).
- Elimination of repetition and inconsistencies.
- Appropriate positioning and numbering of boxes, figures and tables where necessary.
- Consistent use of font (s) – as relevant to headings and text.
The consultant is expected to provide the following deliverables:
- One edited, copyedited, proofread and designed Life Skills manual in electronic copy. The final version should adhere to Mercy Corps and ENGINE II’s logo, branding and templates.
- A face to face meeting with ENGINE II staff for presentation of the final results.
Consultant’s Qualification and Profile
Prospective consultants must have:
- Master’s Degree in Social Sciences or related field.
- Demonstrate strong written communication, research and analytical and ability to rapidly integrate information from various sources.
- Familiar with the concept of life skills in particular is an advantage.
- Proven record/samples of edited and/or written publications, reports and technical documents.
- Ability to work in track changes in Word and PDF files.
- Technical skills in production, editing, and ability to write quickly, clearly and concisely in English (United Kingdom).
- Ability to deliver on time as committed and be responsive to all communications from ENGINE II Programme.
- Minimum 5 years of relevant professional experience in editing and proof reading of reports and technical documents in the areas of adolescent girls and gender.
- Understanding of life skills for adolescent girls and young women.
- Proven record of edited reports, publications or documents;
- Competencies and special skills requirement:
- Excellent command of written and spoken English (United Kingdom).
Timeframe and fee
- The assignment is estimated for 7 working days from 30th May 2018. The final report/deliverables should be delivered no later than 7th of June, 2018. The consultancy fee will be paid as a lump sum amount after acceptance of all deliverables.
- The consultant shall work with the ENGINE II Programme under the direct supervision of the Deputy Programme Manager.
Adherence to Mercy Corps principles and policies:
- Once hired, the consultant shall operate under the principles governing Mercy Corps ways of working including adherence to policies and procedures of Mercy Corps with regards to such key issues as non-partisan, neutrality, gender sensitivity, impartiality and accountability, mainstreaming of Gender and Child and Vulnerable Adults Protection as well as other policies governing Mercy Corps confidentiality of information collected.
- All materials and data furnished by or on behalf of ENGINE II in connection with this assignment, created or produced shall be treated as confidential information.
- The Consultant shall not, during the continuance of this assignment or at any time thereafter, disclose to any person any confidential information.
Interested and qualified candidates should send an expression of interest (Maximum 4 pages) demonstrating their suitability for the tasks, samples of previously edited and proof read documents/reports, past experience of conducting similar tasks. The consultants should also send a financial proposal/ budget, including a breakdown of consultants’ daily rates to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Job Title: Partner – ECOSAT Project
Locations: Kano, Kaduna, Lagos, and FCT, Abuja
- Mercy Corps Nigeria announces the availability of funding for local Civil Society Organizations as partners to implement the ECOSAT project in selected local government areas of Kano, Kaduna, Lagos, and FCT, Nigeria.
- The purpose of this Expression of Interest (EOI) is to disseminate information about the ECOSAT project and to identify Civil Society Organization (CSO) interested in working with Mercy Corps Nigeria as an Implementing Partner on the aforementioned project.
The initiative is part of the Educating Nigerian Girls in New Enterprises (ENGINE) Programme developed by Mercy Corps through partner organizations to:
- Improve the learning outcomes in literacy and numeracy of marginalised out of school girls aged 17 to 23 years within a supportive environment.
- Support the transition of marginalised out of school girls to the next phase of education and/or economic opportunities.
- Improve the employment readiness skills of boys and men through the provision of financial literacy and life building skills training.
The ECOSAT project is a sustainable capacity-building project tailored to use evidenced based learning activities and delivery models. The ECOSAT partnership aims to achieve the following:
- Improve the learning outcomes of 600 out-of-school girls (OSGs).
- Establish girls/young women clubs across the four project states for peer-to-peer leaning.
- Provide scholarships for 150 marginalised girls to enable them return to school or successfully pass their school leaving examinations – WAEC (West Africa Examination Council) and NECO (National Examinations Council) in Kano, Kaduna, FCT and Lagos.
- Provide financial literacy and life skills training to 400 boys and youths from the implementing states through existing boys/men/youth clubs.
- Provide Strategic Behaviour Change Communication (SBCC) to the gatekeepers (parents, husbands, community/religious leaders) in raising awareness to promote girls education and economic empowerment.
Provide Literacy and Numeracy classes to Out-of-School Girls through the Safe Space approach:
- ECOSAT aims at improving the learning outcomes of out-of-school girls (OSGs) in Kano, Kaduna, FCT and Lagos. The CSO will target 600 marginalized girls across project locations and set up safe spaces for improving literacy and numeracy of the beneficiaries
- Beneficiaries who have never been to school will be linked to Agency for Mass Education and/or other education agencies available in the state to access adult literacy classes.
Establish Girls/Young women clubs across all Project States:
- In an effort to ensure sustainability, the CSO will establish girls/young women clubs across the four project states. These clubs will serve as platforms for providing peer-to-peer learning and will facilitate transfer of knowledge among marginalised girls within the implementation communities
- The clubs will be established in year 1 and strengthened throughout life of the project. Through the girls/young women clubs, educational materials will be distributed to enhance the girls learning experiences.
Provide Scholarship to Beneficiaries:
- ECOSAT will provide scholarships for 200 OSGs (100 in year 1 and 100 in year 2) to enable them return to school or successfully pass their school leaving examinations – WAEC (West Africa Examination Council) and NECO (National Examinations Council)
- Extremely marginalised girls who are unable to pay their examination fees will be selected to receive this scholarship. The CSO will facilitate the selection of beneficiaries for the scholarship within the implementation communities.
Deploy Financial literacy and life skills training to boys:
- The project aims to mainstream gender by addressing key barriers to boys’ education and empowerment along with the girls. Through ECOSAT project, the CSO will facilitate financial literacy and life skills training for 400 boys and youth (200 in year 1 and 200 in year 2) through existing boys/men/youth clubs across implementation states.
Advocate for Girls’ Education and Empowerment:
- The project will work with an array of diverse actors at the state and federal levels to remove barriers to girls education through an innovative advocacy and behavior change communication approach tagged “SHEro”. Through targeted strategic BCCs, awareness on existing gender, education and child protection policies will be created
- This approach will be implemented in line will local context and state existing gender/girls education policies. Key issues that affects marginalised girls per state will be highlighted and addressed through SHEro approach.
The organization to be considered should meet the below criteria:
- Only a legally registered non-governmental organization (NGOs), community based organisations (CBOs) and faith-based organization (FBOs) that is currently implementing activities in Girl Child Education with focus on marginalised in and out of school girls in the focused states are eligible.
- The organization should have the capacity of mainstreaming gender through the involvement of marginalised boys and men.
- The organisations must have a physical presence in these focused states.
- Partnerships between NGOs/FBOs/CBOs and/or NGOs networks are strongly encouraged to respond to this call for expression.
Interested and qualfied candidates (Civil Society Organizations) should follow the Application Procedure below:
- Complete organizational Questionnaire Form. Click Here to Download Form (PDF)
- Attach a Covering Letter from your organization according to the following guidelines:
- Title “Partnership application for ECOSAT project.
- Mandate of the organization
- History of the organization
- Statement on commitment for:
- The proactive incorporation of delivery of the Program into the organization;
- A multi-year collaboration;
- Commitment to ensure financial sustainability of the project through a viable business plan and,
- Signed by the head of organization
- Total file size should not exceed 10MB
Please scan your Covering Letter and registration certificate and e-mail it to: email@example.com with your completed EOI form. If possible, combine them into one pdf document.
Send a hardcopy of the Cover Letter and completed Expression of Interest to:
Mercy Corps Nigeria,
35 Patrick O. Bokkor Crescent,
Off Ebitu Ukiwe Street,
Application Deadline 25th May, 2018.