African Development Bank Group (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Banks development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Disbursement Assistant – FIFC.3
Position N°: 50000786
- The Vice Presidency for Finance oversees the financial management of the Bank Group. This encompasses the Bank Group’s treasury activities including borrowings from the capital markets and investment activities; controllership functions including financial reporting and loan administration; strategic resource mobilization and the strengthening of the non-statutory financial resources and instruments; the overall asset/liability management for the Bank Group.
The Hiring Department/Division
- The Financial Control Department of the African Development Bank (The Bank) is responsible for accounting for the financial consequences of the Bank Group’s transactions and decisions, and for the preparation, fair presentation and overall integrity of the internal financial reports and published financial statements
- The department is also responsible for loan administration and accounting and related fiduciary responsibilities, including disbursement of funds to projects and programs financed by the Bank Group. Lastly, the department provides decision support and expertise in the development and implementation of financial control policies, operational and financial strategies and related information systems.
- The primary objective of the Loan Disbursement Division is to ensure compliance with key fiduciary related articles in the Agreement Establishing the African Development Bank and Fund. Ensure that adequate controls are maintained around the disbursement of Bank Group financed project.
- Under the general supervision of the Disbursement Officer, the Disbursement Assistant is primarily responsible for determination of the completeness of borrowers’ requests in accordance with the Bank’s policies and procedures, Verification of documentation and processing of disbursements or special commitment requests
- The Incumbent provides support to negotiations, mission preparation, and disbursement seminars and ensure timely disbursements of proceeds from Bank Group and co-financed projects in accordance with relevant loan and protocol agreements and Bank Group policies.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Disbursement Assistant functions will include the following:
Disbursement Transactions Processing:
- Analyze and determine the appropriateness of borrowers’ requests for disbursements and the supporting documentation.
- Determine whether they should be approved, reduced or rejected in accordance with Bank’s policies and procedures. This requires the identification of irregularities and non-compliance with Bank procedures and policies, as well as highlighting circumstances for further investigation where the Bank may be exposed to financial risk .
- Review and recommend changes to disbursement systems, policies and procedures to promote timeliness, accuracy and efficiency in processing while maintaining appropriate internal controls.
- Draft clear and concise correspondence to borrowers of operational staff on disbursement-related issues.
- Process special commitment amendments and prepare amendment letters.
- Respond to questions from Task Team Leaders, borrowers, commercial banks, and suppliers on payments, balances, and application status.
- Cooperate with concerned departments and stakeholders to resolve disbursement issues promptly.
- Monitor borrowers’ utilization of special account funds, ensuring that the funds are properly accounted for and used in accordance with Bank procedures.
- Participate in loan disbursement missions to verify use of resources and resolve disbursement issues.
- Contribute to improving the efficiency of disbursement operations by ensuring that records and reports are properly maintained and updated at all times.
- Participate in technical discussions and loan negotiations to ensure that disbursement arrangements are compliant with Bank Group disbursement policies.
- Provide input on audit reviews, and monitor borrower compliance with audit findings, as requested by the Disbursement Officer.
- Provide input into the training of Executing Agencies, Projects, and Bank Staff.
- Participate in the design of materials for disbursement seminars.
- Respond to questions regarding disbursement procedures.
- Answer questions from Task Team Leaders, borrowers, commercial banks, and suppliers on payments, balances, and application status.
- Coach and mentor new Disbursement Assistants (DAs) on disbursement procedures.
- Participate in departmental/divisional task forces.
- Identify issues relating to disbursement policies, procedures and guidelines and propose actions or enhancements.
- Undertake ad-hoc assignments at the discretion of the Division Manager.
- Participate in the review of project documents such as Appraisal Reports, Country Strategy Papers, and Project Completion Reports and provide input to supervisors.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
- Hold at least a Bachelor’s Degree or its equivalent in Accounting or Business Administration and preferably membership of an internationally recognized professional accounting body.
- Have a minimum of five (6) years of direct relevant experience preferably in accounting in a large organization.
- Audit experience would be an advantage.
- Familiarity with disbursement policies, guidelines and procedures of multilateral development institutions
- Good understanding of basic general accounting concepts and principles, and their application.
- Analytical, systematic, strong numerical skills, attention to details.
- Ability to plan and coordinate schedules in order to meet tight deadlines
- Good understanding of internal control concepts and business aptitude for figures and attention to detail
- Ability to adopt new policies, systems and processes in a timely fashion.
- Good Client Orientation, Achieving Results and Problem Solving, Communication and Knowledge Sharing, Innovation and Change.
- Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English or French preferably with a good working knowledge of the other language.
- Proficient in the use of standard MS Office software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project Knowledge of SAP would be an advantage.
Job Title: Senior Power Engineer – RDGS1
Location: South Africa
Position N°: 50000992
- The Vice Presidency for Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery is responsible for operational relevance, efficiency and effectiveness of the Bank Group’s operational programs, and activities.
- This will ensure that the Bank operates successfully across its Regional Member Countries and oversee the full implementation of all aspects of the Bank’s Regional Directorates.
The Hiring Department
- Within the Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery Complex (RDVP), the Bank has five (5) Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery (RDIBD) Directorates, one in each region of Africa: North, South, East, West, and Central.
- Each Regional Directorate is headed by a Director General (DG) and is staffed with the relevant sectoral functions and administrative capabilities for rapid delivery of services to client countries.
- The Regional Directorates provide overall strategic direction to country offices within the regions and are responsible for the Bank’s operations, business development, project management and overall effective delivery of the Bank’s High 5s of ‘Light up and Power Africa,’ ‘Feed Africa,’ ‘Industrialize Africa,’ ‘Integrate Africa,’ ‘Improve the Quality of Life for the People of Africa.’
- The position is situated in the Southern Africa Regional Development and Business Delivery Office.
- The Senior Power Engineer is responsible for the origination, processing, supervision and general portfolio management of energy sector projects.
- In this work, the incumbent interacts closely with other staff members in the following complexes; Private Sector, Infrastructure and Industrialization; Agriculture, Human and Social Development; and Power, Energy, Climate and Green Growth.
- The incumbent is directly involved in the development cycle from identification of opportunities in line with the High 5s to their approval by the Bank’s Boards of Directors.
- As part of the Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery (RDVP) Complex, the incumbent contributes to the delivery of the ‘Power and Light Up Africa’, ‘Integrate Africa’, ‘Improve the Quality of Life of the People of Africa’ and the ‘Industrialize Africa’ Strategies.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall supervision of the Manager, Energy and Infrastructure (RDGS1), the Senior Power Engineer will perform the following:
Business Development and Pipeline management:
- Provide support to the Regional Member Countries (RMC) and bank teams in the origination, preparation, structuring and implementation of complex and innovative projects.
- Work with Region / Hub-based staff and relevant governance / risk / compliance units, in the process of identification, preparation and execution of Sovereign (SO) and Non-Sovereign (NSO) operations, as well as in conducting policy / result based operations and technical assistance related to the above topics;
- Contribute to solving issues related to energy sector development including advice to RMCs for promoting policies conducive to strong growth/development of the energy sector as well as other areas of activity of the Division (creation of an enabling environment for private sector investments in energy projects, corporate governance);
- Review the various proposals and communications sent to the Bank by its partner, clients and RMCs; and take appropriate action, including issuing of technical opinion on government submissions to the Bank, drafting of responses and/or reports / presentations and internal or external follow-up. This includes, inter alia, preparation of bidding documents, bid evaluation reports, quarterly progress reports, request for extension of contracts or LDD (Last Disbursement Date);
- Provide the required technical skills to design national and multinational projects that respond to the needs of the RMCs and regional economic communities based on their priorities and selectivity;
- Liaise with other development partners in order to identify opportunities for co-financing and other partnerships;
- Provide inputs for the power sector into the Bank’s pipeline of projects;
- Provide sector expertise for quality assurance in: preparation of terms of reference (TORs), requests for proposals (RFPs), tender documents to procure goods and/or services in line with the Bank’s procurement rules: e.g. Recruitment and supervision of expert advisors (and Bank staff) regarding execution of socio-techno-economic (pre-) – feasibility studies and utility performance diagnostics;`
- Undertake the supervision of the Bank’s portfolio of power sector investments, review of relevant monitoring, evaluation reports, and field inspections as necessary; and proffer measures for resolving material operational weaknesses.
- Ensure timely procurement and disbursement of active power projects in the Bank’s portfolio, liaising with Government departments and project implementation units to address blockages in project execution, using the Bank Portfolio Dashboard as main monitoring tool.
Knowledge Production and Coordination:
- Contribute to the preparation of energy sector assessments and other upstream analytical and diagnostic work to inform Country Strategy Papers (CSP) ; provide support to country/regional departments on policy dialogue with RMCs relating to energy sector and related issues; and provide back-up to country offices to ensure provision of quality advisory service to RMCs ;
- Contribute to the preparation of policy statements, papers, briefs and various reports on energy sector issues and other areas relevant to the Energy, Environment & Climate Change Department;
- Represent the Bank in national and regional partnerships, networks, conferences, workshops, and training seminars on issues related to energy sector development and related issues;
- Undertake any other tasks as assigned by the Manager.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience:
- Hold at least a Master’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Civil Engineering or Electromechanical Engineering. Additional training in management and / or economics is an asset.
- Demonstrate at least five (5) years of relevant professional experience and proven track record and analytical skills in the following areas: power sector strategy formulation; financing of energy projects; management and operation of power generation, transmission and distribution utilities; electrical system planning and design; preparation of bidding documents; project management; contract administration; costing of infrastructure projects; monitoring and supervision of work on the construction of major power plants, transmission and distribution infrastructure / electrical works
- Demonstrable analytical skills in the following areas: power sector strategy formulation; financing of energy projects; management and operation of power generation, transmission and distribution utilities; electrical system planning and design; preparation of bidding documents; project management; contract administration; costing of infrastructure projects; monitoring and supervision of work on the construction of major power plants, transmission and distribution infrastructure / electrical works. Knowledge and understanding of project financing/ financial and economic appraisal would offer an advantage.
- Experience in implementing projects with public sector institutions and / or bilateral and multilateral development finance institutions will give an added advantage for this position.
- Proven ability to interact competently with the staff of government and donor agencies on issues relating to aid coordination, as well as with the private sector;
- Proven ability to build and lead a team of professional staff, and utilize talent and expertise of team members in a productive way;
- Good listener with demonstrated ability to present and win support for ideas as well as make effective and timely decisions; Capacity to initiate and manage innovations and change
- Familiarity with project management and project identification procedures in Development Finance Institutions multilateral organizations, and in particular of the African Development Bank, an added advantage.
- Good command of standard software (e.g. Microsoft Office Suite for word processing, spreadsheets, databases and presentations). Knowledge of SAP is desirable.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English. Good working knowledge of Portuguese and French will be an added advantage.
Application Deadline 31st May, 2018.