Helen Keller International (HKI), established in 1915, works to save the sight and lives of the most vulnerable and disadvantaged. We combat the causes and consequences of blindness and malnutrition by establishing programs based on evidence and research in vision, health and nutrition. Headquartered in New York City, HKI currently conducts programs in 22 countries in Africa and Asia as well as in the United States.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Nutrition Program Officer
HKI works closely with the government of Nigeria to ensure high coverage of more than 80% of the target population with vitamin A. HKI also supports the training of health workers, program monitoring, community education and the delivery of vitamin A capsules. In 2001, HKI integrated Vitamin A Supplementation (VAS) into Community Directed Treatment with Ivermectin (CDTI) as a cost-effective, sustainable strategy and a strong platform for community mobilization. Vulnerable groups, including children 6-59 months old and post-partum women within 8 weeks of delivery, were targeted.
However, since 2009, HKI aligned with the Federal Government of Nigeria and adopted the bi-annual Maternal Newborn and Child Health Weeks (MNCH Weeks) as a high impact strategy to distribute Vitamin A capsules alongside other low-cost interventions that have been proven to be highly effective in reducing mortality rates and improving maternal and child health. HKI Nigeria currently supports the implementation of the MNCH Week in 3 states of the federation (Bauchi, Cross River and Kano) with funding from Nutrition International (formerly, Micronutrient Initiative).
Requirements & Qualifications
- Minimum of Master’s degree in Nutrition, Food and Dietetics Or Bachelor’s in Nutrition plus a Master’s in Public Health or similar related field
- Minimum of 4 years’ experience in nutrion implementation
- Demonstrates technical knowledge pertaining to job requirements
- Ability to use computer software such as Microsoft office, internet
- Must possess good interpersonal skills and a good team player
- Demonstrated excellent personal integrity and confidentially
- Prior experience working in the field of VAS will be an added advantage
- Able to work under pressure minimal supervision and able to meet up deadlines
- Under the supervision of the Nutrition Program Manager, the Nutrition Program Officer implements, monitors and evaluate HKI Nigeria’s nutrition programs and projects in accordance with national protocols and policies.
- Liaise with the nutrition unit of the State Ministry of Health (SMOH) or State Primary Health Care Development Agencies (SPHCDA) to develop costed nutrition strategic work-plans
- Provide technical assistance to and support implementation of nationwide bi-annual VAS through Maternal Newborn and Child Health Weeks
- Participate in research to increase VAS coverage and other nutrition interventions
- Support the capacity building of nutrition program officers on relevant nutrition interventions
- Support the implementation of other relevant nutrition activities such as healthy lifestyle project, infant and young child feeding e.t.c.
- Perform any other duty as assigned
- Maintain regular communication with other state nutrition program partners
- Facilitate program planning and review meetings on vitamin A supplementation
- Collaborate with partners to develop /roll out IEC / SBCC strategies and tools to support nutrition programs
- Actively participate in key relevant national and state level nutrition technical forums
- Work closely with State Nutrition Officers to strengthen technical reporting in accordance with defined reporting schedule and program indicators
- Track program progress using mutually agreed indicators, targets, and recommend remedial action to keep programs on course
- Contribute to and support the maintenance of an updated data base of technical program reports including site visits, monthly reports, quarterly and annual reports
How To Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their comprehensive Resumes and Cover Letter as ONE MS Word document to: firstname.lastname@example.org Using the position title as the subject of the email.
Application Deadline 9th May, 2018.
Note: There are no relocation allowances available for this position.