The Association of Vice-Chancellors of Nigerian Universities (AVCNU), invites applications from suitably qualified candidates into the vacant position below:
Job Title: Secretary General
- The Secretary General’s main duty is to administer the AVCNU secretariat, foster and promote the aims of the Association as defined by its statute.
- Also, the Secretary General works to attain the strategic vision and objectives of the Association, providing representation and advocacy for AVCNU’s mission, interacting with leaders of the various member-institutions, senior government officials, business leaders, and others within partner-organisations and NGOs, and ensuring that AVCNU is best placed to respond to the 21st century challenges while retaining the strength and values that have underpinned the Organisation and her peers over the years.
- In this role, he serves as the Chief Executive Officer of a rather complex and growing Organisation, with specific duties of ensuring financial stability and efficient management of resources by providing internal leadership to the entire Organisation; strengthening existing revenue streams and developing new ones, developing services of relevance and value to member- institutions, overseeing the strategic partnerships with other organizations that benefit AVCNU members directly or indirectly.
Each applicant must be a distinguished Professor (preferably a former Vice-Chancellor of any Nigerian University) with several years of teaching and administrative experience at the University level. In addition, a potential candidate must readily radiate, and will be required to provide evidence of achievement, in the following areas:
Leadership and Vision:
- An outstanding record of leadership in a large, complex and innovative organisation; the ability to develop, articulate, and deliver an institutional vision and supporting strategic plans and initiatives for the future of the AVCNU; the ability to motivate and engage member-universities, staff university proprietors, stakeholders, and government agencies; a track record of successfully leading and managing change, and engaging staff in the process; a sophisticated understanding of changing economic, political, and social environments as they affect universities and the AVCNU; an inspiring leader with the ability to think wittily and act creatively.
Ambassadorial and Networking Capabilities:
- The ability to form and foster networks of international connections in disparate geographic and economic regions of the nation, the developed and developing global regions; ability to establish credibility with university leaders, government agencies, NGOs, and industry; ability for national, regional and global advocacy; outstanding interpersonal, communication, and negotiation skills, as well as demonstrable evidence of broad international perspectives of higher education and development.
Managerial and Financial Acuity:
- A strong and demonstrable record of excellent management of staff; a proven record of enhancing processes and systems in major Organisation through continuous improvement Programmes; a strong and demonstrable record of successful financial management and accountability; a highly energetic manager with ability to identity and exploit opportunities; experience in managing organizational complexity; a strong understanding of modern corporate governance; experience in driving change, balancing cultural needs and ethos against operational imperatives.
Compelling Personal Qualities:
- The ability to lead and inspire others, fostering an environment that is proactive, accountable, ennobling, and consensual; the ability to motivate others to perform at their best, both individually and as a team; the gravitas and credibility to influence both within and beyond the higher education space and institutions; an avid goal-better, with high energy level and resilience, and ability to initiate and drive decisions; ability to work well under pressure and take considered and measured position, with emotional stability and composure; a very high level of self-awareness, commitment, and integrity; and a proven commitment to excellence, fairness, equity and equality, diversity, transparency and firmness in decision making.
Very attractive, not below UASS7 or its equivalence.
Conditions of Service
- Similar to the Conditions of Service in the Nigerian University System.
- The appointment shall be for 3 years in the first instance and renewable for another 3 years subject to the terms of appointment.
How To Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should forward fifteen (15) copies of application together with a statement of the candidate’s vision for the running and development of the organization, Curriculum Vitae (giving full details of age, educational background, institutions attended, names of three (3) referees, etc). Applications should be addressed and forwarded to:
Association of Vice-Chancellors of Nigerian Universities (AVCNU),
4, Parakou Street,
The envelope should be marked at the top “The Post of Secretary-General”. Referee’s Report: Applicants should request their referees to send their reports (under separate confidential cover) to the above address.
Application Deadline 2nd July, 2018.
Note: Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.