Current Job Openings at Medecins Sans Frontieres
Médecins Sans Frontières is a private, non-profit international humanitarian organization dedicated to providing medical assistance to populations in crisis, without discrimination and regardless of race, religion, creed or political affiliation.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Medical Doctor
- Provide outpatient and/or inpatient medical care to patients/beneficiaries according to adapted and updated medical knowledge, MSF protocols, values and universal hygiene standards to improve the patients /beneficiaries health conditions.
Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Apply medical knowledge and skills to diagnose and prevention. Carry out outpatient and inpatient consultations, prescribing the necessary treatment respecting MSF protocols.
- Keep the patient and/or his/her family informed about the illness and provide appropriate explanations about the treatment to follow, checking they have understood.
- Follow up the evolution of the hospitalized/IDP patients, through daily visits , consultations and examinations, prescribing the necessary treatment following MSF protocols, deciding whether they can be discharged or transferred to other departments – in collaboration with other doctors- and informing their family about the patient’s evolution.
- Check and control the rational distribution of medicines and equipment under his/her responsibility and take care the quality, disinfection and sterilization of the medical material. Assure general compliance with standing hygiene standards.
- Participate in the collection and analysis of epidemiological data, checking its validity and informing the line manager or project coordinator about any problem or complication of the patients’ illness, medical error and monitors the proper functioning of the department, equipment or material.
- Ensure ongoing training of the medical/paramedical multidisciplinary team in order to optimize the quality of care.
- Knows and ensures all MSF medical protocols are followed and implemented, checking universal precautions are followed at all times and reducing bio-hazard risks and improving infection control. Ensures professional confidentiality is respected.
- Manage the team under his/her direct responsibility according to MSF HR policies and procedures, supervising their performance, organizing and scheduling shifts and rotations, directly participating in emergencies and on calls if necessary.
- Permit to work in Nigeria
- Medical Doctor Degree Desirable
- Degree in Tropical Medicine Essential,
- Licence to practice medicine in Nigeria
- 2 year experience minimum as a Medical Doctor or in clinical work (can be within medical training)
- Desirable in tropical medicine, or post-registration experience in Public Health , obs and gynae, paediatrics, infectious diseases, HIV/AIDS/STDs, TB, general practice, general medicine or minor surgery
- Desirable working experience with MSF or other NGOs, in developing countries.
- Knowledge of Hausa & Kanuri are an asset
- Essential computer literacy (word, excel)
- Rann is a very resource-poor environment with a volatile security context and strict movement control: thus, MSF-SW looks for a candidate with the following characteristics: hands-on, high problem solving skills, adaptability, flexibility, very motivated about MSF work and principles, able to implement Medical protocols and MSF standards in a hostile context.
Job Title: Nurse
- Providing nursing care, treatment and follow-up of patients, according to doctors’ prescriptions, protocols applied in service and universal hygiene standards/precautions, in order to ensure the quality and continuity of care for the targeted population
- Knowing, promoting, implementing and following up the universal hygiene standards/ precautions, bio-hazard prevention and infection control, security rules and other protocols and procedures in the medical premises and ensuring high standards of hygiene of his/her working environment. Respecting medical secrets and confidentiality at all times.
- Organizing and carrying out care and treatments according to medical prescriptions, and assisting during con-sultations, daily rounds and other medical procedures. Participating in health education of the patient (and family) when necessary
- Identifying Sexually Gender Based Violence victims and referring them to the medical team so they can receive the necessary treatment. Knowing and is aware of the importance and appropriate use of the Post Exposure Prophylaxis (PEP) Kit
- Ensuring patients are properly received and installed and that those with lack of autonomy are assisted, especially regarding their feeding, personal hygiene, movements and comfort. For ER and OPD nurse, ensuring triage of patients in waiting areas, wards or during emergencies, detecting the priority acute/emergency cases, carrying out first aid care and referring them to the doctor when necessary
- Sending material to be sterilized and recuperates it from sterilization
- Carrying out admission, surveillance and follow-up of patients (i.e. assessment of the evolution of their state of health and the identification of any emergency situation or deterioration
- Carrying and supervising administrative procedures and documents (fill in patient’s files, forms, consumptions, statistics, registers, health files, etc.), ensuring an appropriate written/oral handover, and reporting any problematic situations and cases that may arise. Participating in data collection and keeping doctors/supervisors informed.
- Participating in the department-related pharmacy and medical equipment control and maintenance (quality and its functioning, storage conditions, follow-up of expired drugs inventories, stock takes of medicines and material at every team changeover ensuring no material is taken out of nursing area/wards without prior authorisation, etc.)
- Perform cleaning and minor maintenance for biomedical equipment used. Following the user manual and protocols and alert supervisor in case of malfunctioning.
- Supervising and training nurse-aids, nutritional assistants, cleaners and other related staff under his/her supervision, ensuring teamwork and adherence to all appropriate protocols and procedures.
- Permit to work in Nigeria
- Essential recognized nurse degree/diploma
- Desirable Bachelor in Science of Nursing
- Desirable 2 years of previous experience and previous experience in other NGO’s
- Demonstrable experience in supervising and training others in a team setting
- Essential, knowledge of Hausa & Kanuri are an asset
- Essential computer literacy (word, excel, internet)
- Rann is a very resource-poor environment with a volatile security context and strict movement control: thus, MSF-SW looks for a candidate with the following characteristics: hands-on, high problem solving skills, adaptability, flexibility, very motivated about MSF work and principles, able to implement MSF standards in a hostile context.
- Supporting the Head of Mission in security management and coordination tasks, ensuring a smooth relation with local and national authorities, contributing to the context analysis and follow-up, providing translations and interpretations according to MSF protocols, standards and procedures in order to facilitate the mission coordination tasks
- Supporting the HoM in promoting and protecting the MSF image externally and assisting in context analysis, disseminating relevant context information to the coordination team, regularly informing them on key issues, updating general information on the context for MSF internal documents and advising on cultural appropriateness of organized activities and individual behaviors.
- Analysing the risks and the security level of the context of the mission and assisting in conducting risk assessments and in the development security plans for the mission and project. Advising the PC and HoM on aspects of security management
- Establishing and maintaining external relationships with relevant authorities and stakeholders. Keeping good knowledge of counterparts in different administrations and departments and keeping up to date records of field contacts (other NGOs, UN agencies, local authorities, etc.) verifying that they are easily accessible, in order to facilitate contacts and meetings.
- At the request of the Head of Mission, assisting the HoM or representing MSF in meetings (NGOs, official bodies and administrations, etc.). Taking minutes of meetings and preparing full report
- Ensuring the follow up of relevant administrative dossiers such as the MSF registration in the country, working permits, immigration policies, national protocols, etc.
- At the request of the HoM, preparing and conducting an information briefing, focusing on the country context for international and relocated staff
- Translating documents and acting as an interpreter when needed. Writing letters and correspondences with officials and partners and preparing reports, internal memos and formal requests. Monitoring the correspondences in the absence of the HoM.
- University degree or similar level of education
- Essential strong understanding of the workings of the different administrations of the country and particularly in Borno State. Experience in humanitarian aid is an asset.
- Experience working in political, security and humanitarian issues in the country
- Proficiency in English and Hausa. Knowledge of Kanouri is an asset.
- Computer proficiency in MS Excel and Word
- Good analytical skills, at ease with figures and economics data
- Excellent communication and diplomatic skills, including writing skills
Deadline: 20th June, 2018.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Applications (containing the below documents) Using “MD JUN 2018 RANN” as the subject to: firstname.lastname@example.org
MSF – Suisse Coordination Office,
219 KABA Street,
Off Gombole Road,
Old GRA Maiduguri,
Applications must be in English and include:
- Complete CV and Copies of all certificates and diplomas mentioned in the CV.
- Updated contact details and ID
- Contact information of the previous employer/s for reference.
- MSF is an equal opportunity employer, both men and women are encouraged to apply.
- No monetary transactions, neither demands of favours in kind, nor other types of favouritism will be tolerated in the recruitment process. MSF reserves the right to refuse hiring of a candidate having benefited from such acts. All illicit demands of these types may be pursued through the judicial system
- Additional benefits linked to the relocation from Maiduguri to Rann will be applied!
- MSF thanks all the candidates for their interest in this position. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.