African Development Bank (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Principal Unified Communications Engineer – CHIS3
Location: Côte d’Ivoire
Position N°: 50000589
- The Vice-Presidency, Human Resources and Corporate Services ensures the delivery of efficient, people-centered, client-oriented, corporate services to ensure overall institutional effectiveness in all aspects of the Bank’s corporate services.
- The complex leads efforts to ensure the competitiveness of the Bank as the employer of choice and is responsible for providing leadership in the formulation and implementation of Bank’s strategies on people, information technology, general services and institutional procurements, language services, business continuity and, health and safety strategies.
The Hiring Department/Division
- The Corporate Information Technology Services Department’s mission at the Bank is to align the Information Technology (IT) delivery strategy along with the Bank’s business strategy to increase the organizational effectiveness through efficient use of the Information Systems.
- Under the leadership of the African Development Bank’s Information Systems Director, the Information Technology Systems Department is mandated by the Bank to deliver best possible Information Technology (IT) services for Bank Staff, and help achieve the results that gets the Bank closer to accomplishing its poverty reduction goals in Africa.
- The Principal Unified Communication Engineer purpose is to be responsible for the strategy, global design, implementation, operation and on-going development of unified communication infrastructure and services to support the requirements and strategy of the Bank’s business.
- The incumbent other objective is to be responsible for the coordination and supervision of the Unified Communication team to provide high quality business services with a strong collaborative team ethic, both within the team and with the wider CIMM team.
Duties and Responsibilities
The key duties and responsibilities of Principal Unified Communication Engineer are to:
- Lead and manage the Unified communications Team, Engineers, Architects and technicians to provide high services quality to the Business with a strong collaborative team ethic and innovative thinking, both within the team and with the wider IT department teams.
- Performs engineering analysis and provides recommendations to improve performance, increase efficiency and optimize the unified communication infrastructure, management and cost parameters.
- Produce designs and specifications covering objectives, scope, features, facilities, reliability, resilience, constraints (such as performance, resources and cost), hardware, and software environments, main system functions and information flows, traffic volumes, data load and implementation strategies, phasing of development, requirements not met, and alternatives considered.
- Work closely with other departments/organizations and collaborate with other IT staff including the network and telecommunications, system engineers and IT’s security teams to design, implement and maintain the unified communications servers, applications, features and upgrades to meet project goals and ensure operational efficiency and reliability for Unified Communications services.
- Provide clear recommendations for solutions to the Bank’s Business and management problems regarding Unified Communication services.
- Ensure interconnectivity and interoperability of the Bank’s unified communications infrastructures and services with partners.
- Ensure that the Engineering Team analyse and resolve serious faults, taking preventative action to protect the Bank against a reoccurrence of any faults.
- Control usage of established methods, hardware and software tools and procedures used for planning, installing, configuring, commissioning, monitoring and investigating the Unified Communications, and initiates and evaluates improvements.
- Specify user/system interfaces, including reports, validation and error correction procedures, processing rules, access, security and audit controls, recovery routines and contingency procedures.
- Ensure the proactive monitoring of Unified Communications usage and performance, and ensure Unified communication environment that is operational according to service level requirements.
- Ensure the most cost-effective and efficient use of Unified Communications hardware and provision telecommunications services to the business.
- Initiate the procurement procedure, participate actively to the evaluation teams and follow-up the overall procurement process.
- Lead the coordination, control, planning, design, implementation and operation of global Unified Communication infrastructure and services including the video and audio conference, telephony, instant messaging, content sharing, and video streaming.
- Provides guidance and technical expertise in Unified Communication Solution design. Develops strategies and architectures for monitoring network consumption, capacity constraints and trending. Performs system capacity planning to ensure appropriate growth and evolution of systems.
- Prepare the annual work plan for the unified communications activities, assign tasks and projects to unified communication team members with clear objectives and deadlines. Ensure allocation Unified Communications resources and staffing, optimizing resources against clear business priorities.
- Establish proactively business priorities where none are apparent in order to marshal resources effectively in support of the most important priorities.
- Take responsibility for all stages of the life cycle for software/hardware and transmission media development of unified communication systems, including investigation, analysis, specification, design, construction, testing, maintenance, upgrade and migration.
Establish, maintain and improve operational best practices and standard operating procedures for deployment, support, and management (monitoring, maintenance, etc.).
- Prepare the annual administrative budget regarding the maintenance and support of existing unified communication infrastructure, and the three-year capital budget plan for the new unified communications projects.
- Work with vendors, Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) providers and telecommunication carriers to ensure the required service quality, resolve incidents and respect the committed Service Level Agreement (SLA) and, interface with technology vendors for equipment servicing, updating and training.
- Maintains usage statistics, issue and repair logs, or other collection/reporting systems.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
- Hold at least a Master’s degree in Computer Science, Telecommunications or similar field.
- Professional Certificate in ITIL and project management
- Cisco Certified Internetwork Expert Lab certified in Voice or Collaboration and Routing and Switching.
- Proven experience in configuration and troubleshooting VoIP and video standards, essentially SIP, SDP, H323, RTP, RTCP, TLS Experience in designing and implementing IT Services
- Dynamic and self-motivated to provide better services to the users
- Ability to build and maintain rapport with all users at different levels of the organisation, across Complexes, Divisions and Departments.
- Excellent interpersonal skills coupled with a collaborative style
- Excellent problem solving and troubleshooting skills; ability to triage effectively under pressure.
- Good organizational skills with the ability to prioritize and multi-task.
- Ability to work effectively both independently and within a team.
- Have the ability to effectively transfer and exchange information.
- Have the ability to develop work plan, define priorities and monitor work progress.
- Effective communication (written and oral) in French or English, preferably with a good working knowledge of the other language
- Competences in the use of standard technology packages and Bank’s standard software (word, excel, outlook, Power Point, MS Projects, etc…) and SQL database, Python, Linux Operating Systems
- Microsoft and Polycom Certified Solutions Expert – Communications
- Have a minimum of six (6) years of relevant experience in Unified Communications project implementation and operations.
- Extensive working knowledge at Voice and Video standards: SIP, H323, MGW, SBC, ISDN/ PSTN lines configuration and GSM-Gateway, Cisco Voice Gateways/Skype for Business/ VoIP/ Windows/Linux Server operating system environment, implementation and support.
- Working knowledge of network function virtualization, network automation, data center virtualization and firewalls.
- Excellent IT Service Management skills with minimum 6 years of running complex IT Service operation.
- Proven experience in Polycom Real Presence and Skype for Business project management, implementation and operation.
Job Title: Senior Statistician (Infrastructure and Poverty Analyst) – ECST1
Location: Côte d’Ivoire
Position N°: 50000881
- The Economic Governance and Knowledge Management Complex (ECVP) mission is to generate, promote, and disseminate high-quality economic policy-oriented research to strengthen AfDB policy advice, technical assistance, and lendingand to improve governance, capacity, and policymaking for improving lives in Africa.
- Its role is to encourage and support learning by all development stakeholders, ensure that the best and most up-to-date knowledge from economic and other social sciences is continually available, customized, owned, and used effectively in all AfDB operations and in the development policies of African countries.
The Hiring Department/Division
- The Statistics Directorate is responsible for the Bank’s statistical activities that focus on two main components: (i) Providing support for effective development of statistical capacity and systems in African countries for the provision of timely and reliable data to support development results measurement for the High 5s and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) agenda across Africa; and
- Mainstreaming results measurement in Bank operations to ensure their operational effectiveness as well as to support the Bank’s research, policy and financial services.
- As part of the Statistics Directorate, the Economics and Social Statistics Division ensures that regional member countries (RMCs) provide the Bank with timely, reliable, consistent and regionally comparable data on economic activities (trade, industry, agriculture, finance, infrastructure, etc.).
- Its principal activities are: to develop and manage statistical systems needed to support the operational work of the Bank Group and its development research activities; and to prepare the Bank Group’s official statistical publications and provide statistics and statistical analysis for the Bank Group’s Annual Report, the African Development Report and other important Bank’s publications.
The Senior Statistician will:
- Support RMCs in their survey programs aimed at generating poverty and inequality related statistics, standard of living indicators to inform poverty reduction policies ;
- Promote access to surveys data through the African Household’s Surveys data portal within the African Information Highway of Information (AIH) ;
- Support the AIKP team in the generation of statistics and indicators on African household’s access to infrastructure services (Electricity, Water, Sanitation, ICT and Transport); and
- Provide systematic statistical support to country programming and project cycle activities with the objective of mainstreaming results measurement in Bank operations and ensuring the effective monitoring and evaluation (M&E) of development impacts arising from these
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the supervision and guidance of the Division Manager, the Senior Statistician will:
- Provide most recent socio-economic information from surveys required for the monitoring and evaluation of Bank’s High 5s and SDGs;
- Design, implement and manage household surveys financed by the Bank in RMCs;
- Support the capacity of the National Statistical Offices (NSOs) in RMCs in designing, conducting and processing their household expenditures surveys data;
- Assist NSOs in the generation of national poverty and inequalities reports in RMCs;
- Harmonize and compile poverty and inequalities indicators at continental and sub-regional level using the most recent available data on Africa;
- Implement the Africa Infrastructure Knowledge Program (AIKP) including working with RMCs to compile infrastructure statistics, updating the AIKP database and generating infrastructure investment needs for RMCs
- Complement the Africa Infrastructure Knowledge Program (AIKP) data with Household surveys data and indicators related to the access of African households to infrastructure services (Electricity, Water, Sanitation, ICT, Transport);
- Contribute to the dissemination of data and knowledge briefs on the Bank’s AIKP web site;
- Update regularly and improve the dissemination and metadata documentation of the African Household’s Surveys available on the Bank’s Africa Information Highway (AIH) platform and in collaboration with the AIH team;
- Provide statistical support to the Bank’s operational work, including the preparation of Country Strategy Papers (CSP), the Bank’s lending program where poverty and inequality statistics are needed;
- Collaborate with Sector Departments on generating analytical work to inform sectoral work.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience:
- Hold at least a Master’s Degree or its equivalent in Statistics, Economics and/or other related fields.
- Have a strong background in quantitative methods and data analysis specifically on survey data processing and poverty assessment methodologies.
- Hold a minimum of 5 years of relevant working experience in statistics in a multinational institution, Statistical Office or similar institution.
- A working experience including coordination and supervision of household surveys and statistical program is desirable.
- Experience in managing and monitoring projects (including leadership, communication, problem solving, client orientation, team working and relationship) in a complex and multicultural environment would be advantageous.
- Broadly skilled in information and communications technology mainly in applying statistical methods, including multivariate analysis, survey analysis, economic modelling through the use of statistical computer programs (STATA, R, SPSS, etc.) is essential.
- A good knowledge of a database management system such as SQL Server is desirable.
- Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English or French, preferably with a working knowledge of the other language.
Application Deadline 19th June, 2018.
Note: This position is classified international status and attracts international terms and conditions of employment.