The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to people affected by war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Research Monitoring & Evaluation Officer
- Under the supervision of the M&E Manager, the M&E Officer ensures that suitable monitoring and evaluation systems are in place to conduct sound research .This role will oversee the data collection and management of a research grant comparing different package of interventions to improve access to adolescent sexual and reproductive health services. This will include leading baseline and end-line evaluations, training enumerators, managing routine data as well as supporting the Senior RH Officer in implementing the different packages of interventions.
- University degree (statistics, social science, development economics, or a related discipline)
- Minimum two (2) years of experience within the development / humanitarian sector, preferably within the Public Health sector.
Demonstrated Technical Skills:
- Proven technical skills in monitoring and evaluation, including experience with qualitative and quantitative data collection and analysis;
- Proven experience with previous research projects/programs, including research ethics.
- Experience in Health sector, preferably Reproductive Health.
- Demonstrates an open attitude towards offering Reproductive Health services to adolescents (including family planning, maternal health etc.)
- Proactive and effective planning and organizing skills; flexible work attitude
- Proven abilities in developing monitoring plans, data collection, information management, use of databases, and analysis and performance monitoring;
- Demonstrated ability to train and build capacity of others;
- Comprehensive knowledge of humanitarian accountability principles and their translation into practice;
- Strong planning, organizational and interpersonal skills;
- Excellent analytical, presentation, and reporting skills;
- Strong commitment to IRC’s mission, purpose and values.
- Fluent in written and oral English
- Ability to facilitate and communicate in local languages such as Hausa, Fulfulde and Kanuri.
Computer/Other Tech Requirements:
- Excellent database, data management and data analysis skills, with experience using at least 2 software applications such as Microsoft Excel, Access, outlook, power point, SPSS, STATA, Epi-data, Epi-Info; and electronic data collection software
- Standards of Professional Conduct: The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in the IRC Way – Code of Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Harassment-Free Workplace, Fiscal Integrity, Anti-Retaliation, Combating Trafficking in Persons and several others.
- Gender Equality: IRC is committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including parental leave, gender-sensitive security protocols and other supportive benefits and allowances.
Program/project design and learning:
- Participate in research/ project design and review
- Support the Senior RH Officer in implementing research package across three research locations, following ethically sound research approaches, a research protocol and a set workplan.
- Ensure that detailed and feasible project monitoring plans are developed that: i) consider ethical and safe collection and storage of data, ii) consider data quality audits, iii) consider storing, protecting and sharing project documents;
- Closely work with Senior RH officer to make sure all projects have tested standard monitoring tools that capture research activities;
- Make sure all research locations have accountability mechanisms up and running;
- In consultation with the M&E Manager, organize lesson sharing events like lesson bazars to fertilize learning among different input across the centers;
- Assist in identifying, documenting, storing and sharing lessons learned that have implications for refinement of best programmatic practice;
- Lead diagnostic studies, evaluations and surveys.
Research, monitoring and evaluation:
- Lead on baseline and end-line evaluation (including development of data collection tools, training of enumerators and data collection, compilation and analysis)
- Manage routine data collection from health facilities and communities.
- Support the Senior RH Officer and HQ technical Unit to analyze and publish results of research and compile reports and final technical review paper.
- Develop and follow monthly/annual research activity plans including M&E plans;
- Work with Senior RH officer to determine which monitoring activities will take place and which data collection methods to use;
- Design survey data collection tools and methodologies;
- Ensure that data is collected and entered into databases and/or tracking sheets, and/or the data platform on a regular basis;
- Work with Senior RH officer to track progress on action points related to implementation and M&E activities;
- Work with Senior RH officer to provide M&E inputs for reports written during research;
- Closely follow up the field data collection and flag the data collection issues to the M&EManager / Senior RH Manager and Senior RH officer
- Conduct data quality audits of research data to identify and resolve systemic problems affecting data quality;
- Document findings from data quality audits and store in project files to ensure collective and sustainable access;
- Collect service statistics from health facility registers and client cards on the quality of services received by adolescents
- Document schedule of activities related to sharing reports with the research team, donors and other stakeholders;
Information management and reporting:
- Provide M&E inputs for regular analysis and action planning meetings to (1) compare data against research milestones, targets, and quality expectations across project sites; (2) identify issues requiring concerned staff attention;
- Extract lessons learned from research, systematically document and make data easily accessible to staff and Technical Unit;
- Train and support enumerators to ensure that data is collected and entered into databases and/or tracking sheets, and/or the data platform on a regular basis;
Staff capacity building:
- Train staff/enumerators in data collection methodsAssist in selection of enumerators.
Perform other duties assigned by the supervisor:
- Perform other task related assignment proposed by his/her supervisor/s
Key Working Relationships:
- Position Reports to: M&E Manager
- Indirect/Technical Reporting: Senior RH Manager / Senior RH Officer
- Position directly Supervises: N/A
- IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
- Monthly salary, 13Month Salary Inclusive, Health Insurance Coverage for Family, Pension, Creche Facilities available for Women with babies under 24 Months.
Deadline: 13th June, 2018.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their Applications addressed to the “HR Coordinator” via: IRCNigeria.Recruitment@rescue.org Subject of the application should read: Finance Intern, Maiduguri.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Considering the gender sensitivity of this role. High preference will be given to female candidates.