Fact Checker Vacancies at the Centre for Democracy and Development (CDD)
The Centre for Democracy and Development (CDD) was established in the United Kingdom in 1997 and subsequently registered in Lagos – Nigeria in 1999 as an independent, not-for-profit, research, training, advocacy and capacity building organisation. The Centre was established to mobilise global opinion and resources for democratic development and provide an independent space to reflect critically on the challenges posed to the democratization and development processes in West Africa, and also to provide alternatives and best practices to the sustenance of democracy and development in the region.
The Centre is seeking for a suitable candidate who will be part of the team that will see to the success of its fake news, misinformation and disinformation project ahead of the 2019 general election. Thus, it is inviting applications from qualified candidates to fill position below within the organisation:
Job Title: Fact Checker
Period: 5 months
- First degree in Political Science, Development Studies and other relevant programmes
- MSc./MA in the disciplines will be an added advantage
- Experience using social media platforms in professional capacity.
Skills and Abilities:
- Critical thinking and high level of attention to details
- Interest in/knowledge of Nigerian politics (but an ability to retain high level of professional impartiality)
- Strong organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills.
- Excellent English writing and verbal skills including demonstrated writing, proofreading, and research skills.
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Attention to detail and ability to handle multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment with limited supervision
- Strong presentation skills
- Ability to work independently with minimum supervision
- Strong IT Skills in MS Office, specifically MS Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint.
- To keep continuously abreast of developments in social and traditional media spaces on issues relating to politics and election ahead of the 2019 general elections;
- To regularly identify fake news, misinformation and disinformation as they relate to the elections;
- To promptly respond to fake news, disinformation and misinformation by developing and releasing well-researched articles to counter them;
- To use the tools of infographics, short videos, illustrations, etc, to widely disseminate responses and enlighten Nigerians on the effect of the phenomena;
- To work closely with social media influencers/enthusiast to publicize rebuttals and leverage on their platforms to neutralize the effects of fake news, misinformation and disinformation.
Deadline:7th September, 2018.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Applications and CV’s to: email@example.com
- Subject line of emails must state clearly the Name of Applicant and Job Title of position applied for. For example, Subject: Ayobami Fatimah Chukwuemeka, Fact Checker.
- Only Electronically submitted applications will be entertained.
- Scanned applications will be disregarded.
- Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
- No phone calls, please.
- CDD is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- Female candidates are encouraged to apply for this job.