General Service Officer Recruitment at the British High Commission (BHC)
The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
We are recruiting to fill the vacant position below:
Job Title: General Service Officer (Internal Only)
Ref No: 14/18 ABJ
Grade: A1 (L)
Type of Position: Permanent
Start Date: 3rd September, 2018
Job Category: Foreign and Commonwealth Office (Operations and Corporate Services)
Job Subcategory: Corporate Services Support
Main Purpose of Job
- To provide administrative and logistical support to the General Service and Protocol Unit of the British High Commission Abuja tasked with delivering an effective protocol service to the Mission and its officers in Nigeria.
Essential Qualifications, Skills and Experience
- A positive approach to undertaking routine work with a high degree of accuracy as well as a willingness to take on new task
- Good keyboard skills and familiarity with Microsoft windows (notably MS word and MS excel)
- A very strong command of written and spoken English is essential. resilience
- Level of language required: Proficient
- Inter-personal skills are also important as the successful candidate will be liaising with a large number of business organisations on a daily basis.
Desirable qualifications, skills and experience:
- Candidates must have a valid Nigerian Driving Licence as the candidate may be expected to self drive to the various government ministries.
- Collaborating and Partnering, Managing a Quality Service, Delivering at Pace, Demonstrating Resilience
Other benefits and conditions of employment:
- Occasional late working may be required.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Inductions for UK based staff at post (new arrivals)
- Facilitate clearance of small Unaccompanied Airfreight shipments for officers
- Processing of Nigerian residence visas for diplomatic staff
- Issuing Diplomatic notes to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- Arranging local third party insurance cover for official and private vehicles.
- Processing of Diplomatic plate numbers.
- Regular Interface with Government Ministries/parastatals on various protocol related matters.
- Day to day interaction with other Diplomatic Missions arranging third country visas for British Diplomats and Locally engaged Staff travelling on official business.
- Processing of import and export permits for pets.
- Ensuring that invoices from various stakeholders are scrutinized, vetted and processed for payment.
- Liaise with British Deputy High Commission Lagos colleagues on various protocol related matters and providing feedback.
- Providing general administrative support to the General Services Unit including filing, word processing, photocopying and any other tasks as assigned by the Head of Unit.
Deadline: 22nd August, 2018.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Please complete the application form in full as the information provided is used during screening. Please check your application carefully before you submit, as no changes can be made once submitted.
- The British High Commission will never request any payment or fees to apply for a position.
- Employees recruited locally by the British High Commission in Abuja are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local employment law in Nigeria.
- All candidates must be legally able to work and reside in the country of the vacancy with the correct visa/work permit status or demonstrate eligibility to obtain the relevant permit.
- The responsibility lies on the successful candidate to:
- Obtain the relevant permit
- Pay fees for the permit
- Make arrangements to relocate
- Meet the costs to relocation