African Development Bank Group (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Lead Adviser to the Secretary General – PSEG0
Location: Côte d’Ivoire
Position N°: 50001493
The President, plans, supervises and manages the business of the Bank Group. Under the direction of the Boards of Directors, the President conducts the business of the Bank and the African Development Fund and manages operations and activities in accordance with the Agreements establishing the African Development Bank and the African Development Fund. The President supervises several Departments and Units including Office of the President ; Independent Development Evaluation Department ; Integrity and Anti-Corruption Department; Compliance Review and Mediation Unit ; Secretariat to the Sanctions Appeals Board ; Administrative Tribunal ; Office of the Auditor General ; Group Risk Management Directorate; General Counsel and Legal Services Department ; Communication and External Relations Department ; Staff Integrity and Ethics Office and Office of the Secretary General & General Secretariat.
The Hiring Department
The role of the Banks’ Office of the Secretary General and the General Secretariat is to facilitate the delivery of the objectives of the Bank’s Ten Year Strategy, High 5s, and Development and Business Delivery Model by enhancing the decision-making process of the governance organs and forging better working relationships with the shareholders and host countries of the Bank. The Secretary General and the General Secretariat is comprised of:
- The Immediate Office of the Secretary General which has the additional responsibility of managing the Records Management and Archives Section and the Corporate Governance Policy and Shareholder Relations Section;
- Board Affairs and Proceedings Division ;
- Protocol, Privileges and Immunities Division ; and
- Conferences and Meetings Division.
- The specific mandate of the Adviser shall be to provide intellectual and program support to the work of PSEG, particularly with respect to strategic policy, programming and project documents. He/she shall also advise and assist the Secretary General (SG) in all matters pertaining to the:
- Operations of the Bank as determined by the Operations Committee (OPSCOM) among other Bank internal entities;
- Bank Operation and discharge of the duties of the PSEG;
- Proceedings of the Boards of Governors, Boards of Directors and their subsidiary bodies; and
- Statutory relations with the member countries of the African Development Bank (the Bank) as well as State participants of the African Development Fund (the Fund).
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the supervision and guidance of the Secretary General, the Lead Adviser to The Secretary General will:
- Under the guidance and supervision of the SG, prepare or coordinate the preparation of correspondence, reports and any requisite documentation from PSEG to the member countries, Boards, other organizational units of the Bank and sister institutions;
- Coordinate the preparation of the Annual Implementation Report of the DAI for the Board
- Perform any other tasks as may be assigned by the SG.
- Advise and assist the SG in the planning, programming and coordination of PSEG’s activities and ensure that they are consistent with the strategic thrust of the Institution and subsequently monitor implementation of the said activities. To this end he/she must stay abreast of the Bank’s policy issues and strategic options;
- Assist the SG in overseeing and coordinating the activities of the Immediate Office of the Secretary General (PSEG);
- Assist the SG in supervising the activities of the Records Management and Archives Section;
- Prepare the Strategic Plan and Annual Work Programme of PSEG;
- Prepare and/or coordinate the preparation of briefs, working and background documents and analyses for the SG particular in relation to policies, guidelines, CSPs, project and program documents, Economic and sector works, strategic plans, prior to Board and other internal and external meetings; and represent the SG in OPSCOM;
- As and when directed by the SG, participate with and assist her/him in internal meetings such as those of the Boards of Governors, Boards of Directors and their subsidiary bodies;
- At the request of the SG, liaise with member countries, other organizations and institutions to prepare major meetings and accompany the SG to those meetings as and when necessary;
- Assist SG in developing partnerships and launch/pursue initiatives of common interest with other institutions and bodies;
- Analyze issues to be discussed or effectively discussed by the Boards and their committees and produce reports thereon for the perusal of the SG;
- Assist the SG in monitoring PSEG’s reform and in managing PSEG’s human resources, and assets with CHHR and CHGS;
- Represent the SG as and when directed;
- Coordinate the implementation of the Bank Group Disclosure and Access to Information (DAI)
- Supervise the work of the dedicated team to ensure smooth implementation and compliance
Including desirable Skills, Knowledge and Experience:
- Hold at minimum of a Master’s degree or its equivalent in Economics, Development Studies Political Economy, Project Management and Evaluation, Law and Economics, or such other very closely related fields;
- Have a minimum of eight (8) years relevant professional experience in a Multilateral Development Bank, sound analytical skills including in operations and proven report-writing skills
- Problem Solving
- Client Orientation
- Team work and excellent human relations
- Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English or French, preferably with a working knowledge of the other;
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office Suite applications (Word, Excel, Access and Power Point);
- Excellent understanding of multilateral development institutions group policies, strategies and operational issues.
- Very good interpersonal relations, facilitation skills and ability to lead and motivate a team; proven ability to manage and deliver many products and projects within the required time.
- Ability to work under pressure, prioritize work programs, and handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to gain the confidence of senior management in delivering an efficient and effective service within agreed time and cost constraints;
- Ability to work effectively with other technical and management professionals of diverse occupational and cultural backgrounds in a cooperative team environment.
- Excellent negotiating skills and demonstrated ability to present and win support for ideas; a good listener; high level of integrity, discretion and confidentiality.
- Above-average writing skills and oral expression abilities.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 5th September, 2018.