Protection Legal Assistant Job Vacancy at the International Rescue Committee (IRC)
The International Rescue Committee has been in Nigeria since October 2012 and came in response to a widespread flood disaster. IRC’s Emergency Response Team, with local partner, Civil Society Coalition for Poverty Eradication (CISCOPE), implemented projects to support food security, livelihoods, nutrition and WASH in Kogi State. Beginning of January 2014, IRC shifted geographical location to the North East, in Adamawa state to provide humanitarian response to the conflict-affected populations. In the North East, IRC has three operational offices: Yola and Mubi field offices in Adamawa state and Maiduguri field office in Borno state-with the latter office opened in October 2015. In both states, IRC is providing humanitarian support to internally displaced populations hosted in IDP camps, camp like settings, host communities and returnee populations. Both Adamawa and Borno states have a combined IDP population of 1,658,030 people.
The IRC Nigeria country program is implementing multi-sectoral interventions in the sectors of: Health and Nutrition; Environmental Health; Child Protection; Education; Women’s Protection and Empowerment; Food Security and Livelihoods and Protection. Most of these programs are driven in partnership with strategic local NGOs.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Protection Legal Assistant
Scope of Work
- The IRC is implementing a protection program featuring strengthening of community based protection structures, capacity building, protection monitoring, information dissemination and referral services. The IRC will also building capacity of government authorities, local organizations and local communities around protection mainstreaming and protection monitoring. The IRC will also include legal assistance and counselling services. The protection program is currently implemented in the NE states of Adamawa and Borno.
- Under the supervision of the Legal Officer, the Legal Assist will support in identifying legal needs in the field, provide counseling and assistance including representation in relevant administrative bodies. The Legal Assistant will conduct direct case intake on site and will also receive referrals from other actors, including other IRC sectors. With guidance from the Legal Officer, the Legal Assistant will refer cases requiring representation in courts to other specialized service providers. The Legal Assistant will assist in conducting legal information sessions on protection, rights and entitlements, legal status, and other issues, as dictated by the needs at field level and will also ensure consistent follow-up with beneficiaries.
- University degree in Law.
- At least 2 years of prior professional experience in a similar post, preferably with an international organization.
- Strong communication skills including ability to gain trust and build relationships with new communities.
- Experience in providing legal counselling and assistance
- Strong understanding of International Human Rights and Nigerian law
- Familiarity with and have an understanding of the Nigerian legal community;
- Experience in regular report writing.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work as part of a team, as well as independently.
- Flexible and able to work in a dynamic and diverse environment.
- Good cultural sensitivity, flexibility, ability to improvise, team player.
- Ability to live and productively work under stress and in insecure and harsh environments while
- Knowledge of the local language will be an added value
- Computer skills require (word and excel).
- Conduct mobile field visits to target communities to meet with persons of concern (PoCs) within the community according to the weekly work plan.
- Identify legal needs in the local communities and provide on-site counseling to Persons of Concern;
- In close collaboration with the Protection Officer, conduct case intake including oversight and management of legal cases in target communities.
- Assist the Protection Officer in delivering information sessions on protection, rights and entitlements, and other legal issues as dictated by legal status, by the needs at field-level.
- Monitor and report on legal trends in the local communities on a regular basis including collating, documenting and reporting legal issues identified in the communities.
- Assist the Protection Officer in keeping records of the urgent legal needs identified and the actions taken to assist affected PoCs.
- Under the guidance of Protection Officer, facilitate one-on-one interviews and focus group discussions with returnees, host community members, state actors and service providers in the field on selected protection and legal concerns
- Support Protection Officer in developing and delivering internal and external training for IRC staff, community members and other stakeholders on human rights and legal issues.
- Conduct stakeholders’ mapping in area of operation in order to identify those offering specialized services.
- Take good quality activity pictures and submit to the Reporting/M&E officer and Protection Manager
- Assist the Protection Officer in producing weekly and monthly legal activity reports and attend regular IRC Protection sector meetings.
- Conducts other duties as assigned by supervisor.
Specific Security Situation/Housing
- The security situation in the NE continues to be volatile at level 3 (orange) security level as it’s one of the three states of emergency (SoE) in the NE of the country.
- The candidate should be prepared to implement programming in insecure environments.
Deadline: 9th September, 2018.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Cover Letter and Resume to the “HR Coordinator” via: IRCNigeria.Recruitment@rescue.org or hand delivery in our Yobe office.
Note: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.