Tomato Jos is a Nigerian agribusiness that intends to be the first fully integrated tomato paste company in the country. We started operations in 2014, and hold the following four values at the core of our business:
- We care about the company
- We care about each other
- We are problem solvers
- We are humble
In line with these core values, we have developed a fully mechanized and sustainable farming strategy that enabled our company to produce some of the highest tomato yields in the country last year. We also work with a network of outgrower farmers, which both empowers rural smallholders in northern Nigeria and enables our processing facility to source raw material from a wider area of land. Our processing facility runs with the highest quality standards to produce fresh, tasty tomato paste made from Nigerian tomatoes that were grown on Nigerian farms. We sell our tomato paste to domestic consumers, promoting our product as all natural and proudly Nigerian. We are continuously evolving as implementers, and we are looking for like-minded problem solvers to join our team. We are always looking for fresh ideas about how to grow, transport, and process tomatoes in Nigeria.
Job Title: Extension Officer
CRS Organization Background
Catholic Relief Services (CRS) is an International non-governmental organization supporting relief and development work in over 99 countries around the world. CRS programs assist people on the basis of need, regardless of creed, ethnicity or nationality works through local church and non-church partners to implement its programs, therefore, strengthening and building the capacity of these partner organizations is fundamental to programs in every country in which CRS operates. CRS re-established presence in Nigeria in 2000 and currently focuses on agriculture, health and emergency programming.
To maximize smallholder production through rigorous trainings, professional resources and knowledge, and leading by example.
The Position and Responsibilities
The Extension Officer will work under Tomato Jos and its partner CRS, to support their tomato smallholder program. The employee will also work closely with smallholder farmers, and their respective local leaders, to maximize tomato production within the area. When working with Tomato Jos, the employee will report directly to the Vice President of Farm Production. When working with CRS, the employee will report directly to the Head of Unit, Agriculture and Economic Growth. Responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
Acquire Skills and Provide Training
- Work closely with Tomato Jos staff members to learn optimal farming methods.
- Employee is expected to learn farming methods well enough to teach others.
- Work closely with CRS to build entrepreneurial, M&E, and training skills.
- Employee is expected to learn CRS methods of group formation and management and step these down to farmer level.
- Employee will manage a trial plot that will serve as demonstration for smallholder farmers in the community.
- Employee will keep accurate records and be responsible for managing their inventory and finances.
- Adhere to trial plot protocol suggest improvements thereof
- Employee is expected to work on the farm and perform all cultural methods.
- Employee is expected to manage their own time and staffing on the demonstration plot.
Smallholder Operations and Production
- Learn tomato farming agronomy management and processing best practices.
- Learn the training and philosophies needed for smallholders to form successful farming groups.
- Reach out to every farmer within the farmer group, at least once a week.
- Manage the inventory of inputs and disbursement to smallholders.
- Plan each outgrower’s weekly activities.
- Determine plant dates, irrigation schedules, spray dates, harvest dates, etc.
- Monitor and evaluate smallholder activities.
- Store data in M&E tool provided by CRS.
- Coordinate field days.
- Work with local leaders.
- Liaison between government and private sector to create a better working relationship.
- Track financial records, spending, and payouts for smallholder program.
- Regular update reports on progress and report any deviations from the project design
- Coordinate field days.
- Work with local leaders.
- Liaison between government and private sector to create a better working relationship when needed.
· Perform any other related duties as required or assigned.
Seasonal Evaluation Period (August 1st, 2017 to August 31st, 2017).
After August 31st, 2017, Tomato Jos and CRS will evaluate employee performance for consideration of full-time employment.
- Be honest and truthful in all relationships with Tomato Jos/CRS and their employees.
- Be willing to complete any task at the request of your superiors for the betterment of the company.
- Have and use strong communication and interpersonal skills (fluency in Hausa is necessary for this role)
Employee is expected to work Monday through Friday from 7:00am to 5:00pm and Saturdays from 7:00am to 12:00pm.
Farming operations are located in Igabi LGA, Kaduna State, near the Kangimi Dam. Employee must be willing to relocate to the Kaduna area. Certain projects activities may involve travel, which the Companies will accommodate.
Depends on experience.
Method of Application
- Interested and qualified applicants should send their Covering Letter and detailed Curriculum Vitae to email@example.com .
- The email should be titled Application for the position of Extension Officer.
Deadline: 11:59 Pm on Monday 8th October, 2018.
Emails sent without the proper title or after the deadline above or applications sent in multiples will be disqualified. If you are not contacted within two weeks of application, you have not been considered for the position.