The United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) – For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children’s survival, protection and development. The world’s largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments
We are looking for qualified candidates to fill the position below:
Job Title: Communication for Development Consultant
Job Number: 517044
Locations: Adamawa and Bauchi
Work Type : Consultancy
The duration of the consultancy is 11.5 months
- This position is to support the State ministry of health, state primary health care development agency and other partners in the implementation of evidence-based interventions that will result in the scale-up of and improved access to maternal and newborn health services with a particular focus on systems strengthening, local capacity building, focused mentoring in local facilities and communities in Bauchi and Adamawa States.
- The officer will support the SMOH, SPHCDA and other partners in the implementation of various strategies and interventions that will strengthen partnership for policy reforms, sector governance and stewardship at LGA level, increased transparency and accountability, capacity building, provision of sustainable and scaled-up integrated MNCH service delivery with equity and community participation.
Major Tasks to be Accomplished
- Support capacity development activities on C4D for Community-Oriented Resource Persons (CORPs), Voluntary Community Mobilizers (VCMs), Ward Development Committees (WDCs), Faith-based groups, women and youth groups for effective promotion of MNCH behaviours at community level
- Document processes, key outputs, constraints and lessons learnt in the various platforms of C4D programming
- Supervise community activities that promote health seeking behaviour among caregivers in Bauchi and Adamawa States, in line with the EU project, including social events, festivals and commemorative events
- Participate in and provide short Reports on the activities of the state Social Mobilisation Technical Committees (SOMTECs)
- Support extensive documentation of all activities under the EU Project, including development and publication of 8 Human Interest Stories per year and a Quarterly EU Programme Newsletter and frequent Social Media outputs
- Produce quarterly Newsletters to give visibility to the programme and donors
- Under the supervision of the Communication for Development Specialist (NOC) and coordination of the State EU Programme Coordinator, work with State EU project team to guide implementation and monitoring of C4D interventions, in line with the workplan and results framework
- Facilitate partnership at LGA and community levels (working with all institutions and structures) on effective implementation of the EU-MNCH programme
- Participate in, facilitate and provide reports on implementation of interpersonal communication, community dialogue sessions and engagement with various participant groups under the EU Project
- Lead processes of advocacy to key influential persons in Bauchi and Adamawa States (especially Traditional and Religious Leaders and Heads of Ward Development Committees) for support to EU-MNCH programme, especially promotion of MNCH behaviours
- Knowledge of the latest developments and technology in related fields.
- Ability to make timely and quality judgments and decisions and very good training skills.
- Computer skills, including internet navigation and various office applications.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a multi-cultural environment and establish harmonious and effective working relationships, both within and outside the organization.
- Willingness to travel to remote regions of the country
- University Degree in Social Sciences, Communication, Humanities, Public Health or related technical field.
- Five years’ experience working on Programme Communication/Communication for Development
- Fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of another UN working language an asset. Knowledge of local working language of the duty station, an asset.
Interested and qualified candidates should:Click here to apply
Job Title: National Sanitation Marketing Consultant
Job Number: 517043
Work Type : Consultancy
Consultancy Duration: 6 months.
- The main purpose of this consultancy is to continue providing technical support to UNICEF WASH program in Nigeria to strengthen the already developed sanitation supply chains consisting of sanitation marketing entrepreneurs and their network of masons.
- The sanitation entrepreneurs together with masons will help conduct promotional events and other sales activities to help households move up the sanitation ladder by offering a manageable range of options of easy-to-build and affordable yet aspirational improved toilets and delivering these toilets on receiving purchase requests.
- The Sanitation Marketing Consultant will work on various aspects of the sanitation supply chain. This will require management of the post training support activities to all the Sanitation Marketing Entrepreneurs/Toilet Business Owners (SMEs/TBOs) and continuous linkage of the TBOs/SMEs with Household and Micro Finance Institutions (MFIs). Emphasis will be placed on structured promotional activities for SanMark adaptable to specific contexts.
- The supply chain will be initiated in more LGAs under the scale-up phase. The constituents- that is, the entrepreneurs as well as their satellite system of masons will have to be trained in the technical aspects of construction of the various toilet design options on offer and emerging fit for purpose options that may be identified. A system will have to be established for technical training by co-opting technical training institutes such as the Federal/ State Polytechnics as nodal training institutes. UNICEF will enter into a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the identified training institutes.
- The supply network/system created will be provided marketing support including but not limited to tools and technical support to connect to the demand created through routine CLTS programming strategy. Â There shall be more emphasis on convergence of CLTS and the PPP strategies. The approach now will lead to convergence of all aspects.
Under the overall guidance of Chief of WASH and with supervision from the WASH Specialist, the key tasks for this consultancy include the following;
- Support to capacity development and mentoring of the partner SMEs: The Consultant working with SMEDAN and identified (hired) Enterprise development firm at national level shall continue to strengthen the capacities of the 150 SMEs that have been trained. The FOs shall be facilitated to identify and train at least 5 SMEs in each SHAWN LGA.
- Connecting pilot SMEs to the markets: Working with the respective LGAs the consultant will ensure that the 150 trained SMEs make group sales pitches to 100% of the ODF certified communities in their respective catchment areas. The consultant will facilitate the respective LGAs and TBOs to delineate their catchment areas and mark them on GIS maps for easy monitoring and follow up as well.
- In liaison with the UNICEF FOs/LGAs and RUWASAs ensure that each TBO/SME/MFI is provided with promotion material and their business promoted through a multimedia approach
- Connecting the SMEs/Clients (Market) to Finance: Working with ANMFIN, RUFIN, MFIs and other key stakeholders to facilitate access to financial services by the SMEs and Households
- Scaling up across the SHAWN States/LGAs: Working with FOs, state consultants and LGA consultants, make available the services of the SMEs to all communities in the SHAWN LGAs across the SHAWN pilot states (Bauchi, Benue, Katsina)
- Operational Guidelines: Finalize the SanMark Operational Guide for UNICEF that will be adopted nationally for sanitation marketing through public wide consultation and workshop.
- Monitoring: Ensure that the SanMark monitoring dash board is regularly updated from household level up to TBO-LGA and national level.
- Learning Reviews: Conduct or cause to be held weekly and monthly reviews at the LGA and state levels respectively within the Multi-Stakeholder Platform (MSP) and quarterly reviews at the national level.
- Facilitating the set up of SM-MSP at the Federal and state level: Facilitate the setting up of a Sanitation Marketing Multi Stakeholder Platform. This will be supported by major stakeholders at the national and state levels. Stakeholders will include other SanMark actors, SMEs, MFIs, large scale business enterprise, advocates and others.
Interested and qualified candidates should:Click here to apply
Application Deadline 30th October, 2018.
- All applicants should quote an all inclusive fee
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.