Protection and Community Outreach Supervisor Job at Premiere Urgence Internationale (PUI)
Premiere Urgence Internationale (PUI) is a non-governmental, non-profit, non-political and non-religious international aid organization. Our teams are committed to supporting civilians’ victims of marginalization and exclusion, or hit by natural disasters, wars and economic collapses, by answering their fundamental needs. Our aim is to provide emergency relief to uprooted people in order to help them recover their dignity and regain self-sufficiency.
PUI is implementing humanitarian activities in Nigeria since April 2016, supporting population with food security, nutrition and health project in Maiduguri and Borno State. PUI is recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Protection and Community Outreach Supervisor
Location: Monguno, Borno
Slot: 2 Openings
- Under the direct supervision of the Protection and Community Outreach (PCO) Deputy Project Manager, the PCO Supervisor is responsible for the set-up and activities development of the PCO officers and Community Outreach Workers in Monguno.
- S/he will assist them in the development and implementation of protection and community outreach activities in compliance with work plans, donor regulations and PUI policies.
- S/he will provide the team with trainings and technical guidance, while closely monitoring activities.
- S/he will ensure that protection principles are mainstreamed in all sectoral programs of PUI.
- S/he will play a key role in establishing/strengthening effective linkages between PUI, partners and other stakeholders involved in the area of intervention as well as in setting up effective internal and external referral pathways.
Responsibilities and Tasks
- Lead the scale up plan for setting up the community outreach network in the areas assigned in the project intervention framework.
- Design and lead the implementation of protection and community outreach activities (including but not limited to key messages dissemination, awareness-raising initiatives, households surveys, protection case identification, referrals and follow-up)
- Develop strong and effective referral pathways, ensure a strong communication and coordination with PUI health, nutrition and food security teams and liaise with other humanitarian agencies for external referrals (e.g. CP/GBV case management, MHPSS, CFS…)
- Lead the implementation process of the tracking system for internal and external referrals
- Provide capacity-building to the PCO team, other PUI teams and partners
- Support PCO Officers in analyzing protection threats and ensure proper referrals (including protection cases, malnutrition cases and cases with urgent needs)
- Ensure protection principles are mainstreamed in all PUI sectoral programs and regularly engage in protection monitoring and reporting at field level
- Build and maintain relationships with external partners, community leaders (especially Bulamas), community committees and other stakeholders
- Closely monitor and report on displacements, new arrivals and emerging needs
- Responsible of the all protection and community outreach interventions and activities defined, s/he follows up on the master work plan together with the Deputy PCO Project Manager.
- Report immediately any difficulty or delay faced in the implementation of activities to the direct manager.
- Cooperate with MEAL Department to conduct any MEAL related activities (such as surveys, field feedbacks, and lessons learnt exercise among others)
- Uphold PUI code of conduct, and ensure that all persons of concern are treated with dignity and respect, in accordance with humanitarian principles and human rights standards.
- Represent PUI at anytime and anywhere when s/he is in duty
- Supervise PCO Officers and ensure the timely implementation of their activities
- Ensure capacity-building of the team through trainings and technical guidance (protection principles, protection mainstreaming, CP, GBV…)
- Coordinate the work of PCO Officers: work plans, progress toward targets, and frequency of submitting collected data.
- Ensure that PCO Officers & Community Workers have the necessary information on the referral system and provided services and properly understand the activities to be implemented in the framework of the project
- Ensure that PCO team properly handles confidential information and that information collected by both officers and community outreach workers is reported and properly uploaded to the database
- Ensure coordination with PUI Staff and stakeholders concerning community intervention activities.
- Support PCO Officers & Community Workers in improving their performance.
- Regularly appraise the performance of PCO Officers
- Routine field visits to monitor PCO Officers & Community Workers activities.
- Continuously collect feedback from PCO Officers and ensure the communication to the Deputy Project Manager.
Logistic & Administration:
- Define the needs in materials and tools required to conduct trainings and outreach activities.
- Organize and coordinate training sessions: venue, attendees, and support materials.
Reporting & Data Collection:
- Collect, analyze and store in a database information on identified protection cases from PCO Officers and report through proper documentation and referral system with regular follow-up
- Ensure proper completion and filling of all documentation (soft and hard as required) and ensure data protection protocols, confidentiality and do no harm principles are respected while reporting protection cases
- Review the number of assessed individuals from both PCO officers & Community Workers to see the progress towards assigned target.
- Analyze data provided by PCO officers & Community Workers and propose solutions based on available resources.
- Document and report training sessions and feedback from participants.
- Responsible of compile and report to the direct superior data on a weekly, monthly, quarter and annual basis or upon request.
- Report on PCO Officers development and performance.
- The tasks and responsibilities defined in this job description are non-exhaustive and can evolve depending on the project’s needs
Priorities of the Department:
- Set up the community outreach network in the assigned catchment area supported by pui
- Ensure a continuous grasp on the population needs and vulnerabilities and strengthen pui reactivity responding to emerging humanitarian needs
- Reinforce PUI integrated approach through the set-up of robust internal referral pathways (with nutrition, health, food security and accountability teams)
- Provide an appropriate support to identified malnutrition cases, protection cases and cases with urgent needs through internal and external referral pathways
- Good command in English (speaking, reading & writing)
- Fluent in local languages – Hausa and Kanuri
- University level in Social Science/Development Studies/Political Science or related field or certificate of secondary education with at least 2 years relevant experience in the field
- Qualification in protection field an asset
- Work experience
- Proven experience working in NGOs.
Knowledge and skills:
- Good knowledge of community outreach, community mobilization, protection and referral mechanisms
- Good knowledge of international legal instruments related to protection (IHL/IHRL), IDP guiding principles, SPHERE standards, protection mainstreaming
- Excellent experience in conducting training’s, awareness sessions and surveys/assessments
- Excellent experience in managing and mentoring teams
- Excellent communication (especially in public) and diplomacy skills to manage relationship in potentially tense situation
- Literacy in reporting
- Excellent knowledge of the MS office software including Word, Excel, Outlook, Powerpoint
- Commitment to the NGO values and principles
- Working in humanitarian relief, interest for social issues
- Strong motivation to help people in need
- Self-motivated, flexible and adaptable to the needs of the team and organization
- Great moral and ethical sense
- Conflict resolution and diplomacy skills
- Ability to adapt or change priorities according to the changing situation within a mission or the organization itself
- Strong understanding of the political situation in the area
- Ability to analyze and suggest improvements of the activities
- Well organized, hard worker and rigorous
- Able to manage stress and pressure
- Knowledge or previous experience in Health and/or Nutrition is an asset
Deadline: 21st October, 2018.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online