Psychosocial Support (PSS) Worker Job at Terre des hommes (Tdh)
Terre des hommes (Tdh) is a child relief Non-Governmental Organization with a presence in over 30 countries of the world and more than 90 projects. Our goal is to make a significant and lasting difference the lives of children in need. We support children in areas of Child and Maternal health, protection, Water and sanitation and Migration. Our humanitarian services sector aid children in crisis situations across the world.
Tdh in Nigeria implements projects in Health, Wash and Child Protection sectors and is recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Psychosocial Support (PSS) Worker
Location: Mafa, Borno State
- The primary function of the position is to carry out an array of age and gender appropriate psychosocial support group activities for children and adolescent whose life skill and social skills will be developed through appliance of participatory non-formal and informal educaton methodologies, creative and artistic activities, movement, games and sports.
- The activities will be well-integrated into Northeastern Nigerian protection system and humanitarian coordination practices and guidelines.
- The activities will be carried out in Borno State areas according to the evolving needs of the project.
- Therefore the post holder is required to accept workplace flexibility.
Responsibilities & Tasks
- Conduct supportive and relevant non-formal and informal education activities to promote leaners mental health and psychosocial well-being while simultaneosly promoting effective learning
- Encourage boys and girls of different ages to establish school-based child club and youth club and provide support in the process
- Engaging children and adolescent in activities and functuioning of child clubs and youth clubs
- Conduct specific child-focused activities for psychosocial well-being and building resiliency by ensuring a variety of activities that include active games, sports, expressive/creative activities, life skills, educational activities;
- Mobilize children, adolescent boys and girls from the child clubs and youth clubs to launch community service project that suit their interest, promote their psychosocial well-being and create an opportunity for their direct social engagement at community level;
- Conduct emotional group support sessions for caregivers;
- Under the supervision of the PSS team leader, support identification, training and mentoring of focal points teachers for safe identification and referral of cases of children in psychosocial distress and/or at risk.
- Establish and maintain positive and efficient relations with target beneficiaries, community members, partner’s staffers and all the other key actors;
- Make sure to have material available for the activities at all times and ensure that at the end of the day the material is securely stored;
- Seek for synergies to optimize resources and time and strengthening services for the beneficiaries whenever possible;
- Conduct awareness sessions and events on child protection issues and issues affecting the protection and well-being of children;
- Support and empower children and caregivers in accessing and benefitting from services and activities that enhance their integration within the host community;
- Provide basic counseling sessions to support children and their caregivers to better cope with difficulties, distress and enhance their resiliency;
- Identify vulnerable children and adults in a need of protection or support and conduct referral to the case management team;
- Prepare weekly activity schedule, keep record of newly registered beneficiaries, fill beneficiaries daily’s attendance lists and other reports as required by the line manager/PSS Officer and ensure accuracy and timely submission;
- Under the guidance of the PSS Team Leader, conduct participatory monitoring activities to collect beneficiaries’ feedback and opinions on the quality and satisfaction of activities;
- Provide supervision, mentorship and guidance to PSS volunteers and animator volunteers;
- Participate in surveys and data collection when required;
- Perform any other job-related duties as requested by the line manager.
- Promote inclusion and equal access for every child, paying particular attention to the most vulnerable and at-risk children;
- Identify potential cases of children victims and/or at heightened risk of violence, abuse, exploitation and neglect and any other child protection concern or threat and report to the Case Worker;
- Maintain strict confidentiality regarding information and data of beneficiaries at all times;
- Ensure Tdh Child Safeguarding Policy and Child Protection Minimum Standards are mainstreamed through all the programmatic activities;
- Report serious cases of abuse committed against children to the Child Protection Project Manager. Strict confidentiality must be respected.
Coordination & Representation:
- Coordinates with other Tdh sectors to ensure implementation of standardized activities and with other departments (programme and support) of Tdh Nigeria as necessary
- Represent Tdh project in fora and meetings held at site level in her/his field of expertise.
- Fully comply with Tdh Code of Conduct and ensure Child Safeguarding Policy is upheld at all times
- Ensure adherence to Tdh standards and quality requirements in all the project activities.
- Language Skills: Fluent in local languages and in English (speaking/reading/writing).
- Education Degree: University degree In Social Work, Social Studies, Psychology, Education or any other related discipline
- Work experience: Minimum 1 year experience in the field of child protection / protection/education/SGBV/ PSS
- Knowledge & skills: Excellent analytical and writing skills, creative thinking
- Computer skills: Good knowledge of the MS office software.
- Other: Knowledge of protection systems in Northeastern Nigeria/ Excellent knowledge of protection issues and best practices / Previous experience in drafting PSS activity plans and structured plans of recreational activities is highly desirable / Previous experience in working with youth target groups is of a benefit.
- Other knowledge: Acquaintance with NGO’ rules, procedures and regulations; Acquaintance with the Child Protection Minumim Standards
- Work in relief or development sector
- Strong motivation to help people in needs
- Transversal skills
- Honest and trustworthy
- Reliable, rigorous and well organized
- Motivated and dedicated to his/her job
- Ability to take initiative to deal with difficulties encountered in daily work
- Ability to adapt or change priorities according to the changing situation
- Autonomy, neutrality, hard worker
- Able to manage stress and pressure
- Able and willing to learn to extend his/her scope of work
- Able to manage priorities, take initiatives and work without constant supervision
Deadline: 25th October, 2018.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit copies of updated CV, Letter of Motivation and National ID card and reference contacts to:firstname.lastname@example.org
- The position must be clearly indicated on the application.
- Only candidates who meet the selection criteria will be conducted.
- This position is open to Nigerian national only.