Security Officer Job Vacancy at Terre des hommes (Tdh)
Terre des hommes (Tdh) is a child relief Non-Governmental Organization with a presence in over 30 countries of the world and more than 90 projects. Our goal is to make a significant and lasting difference the lives of children in need.
Tdh in Nigeria implements projects in Health, Wash and Child Protection sectors and, is recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Security Officer
Location: Monguno, Borno
Starting date: 01/11/2018
Reports to: Security Coordinator
Duration: From Six month
Activity rate: 100% (full time)
- Under the direct supervision of Security Coordinator
- Under the indirect supervision of N/A
- Under the technical supervision of Security Coordinator
- Under the overall supervision of Country Representative
- Supervision of: N/A
- Functional relations: Security and Safety of the goods and the persons
- The Security Officer, under the supervision of the Security Coordinator, is responsible to monitor, on a daily basis, the security situation of a specific geographical area of intervention of TdH.
- Moreover, He is also responsible of ensuring the application of the Tdh’ security procedures in this geographical area.
- Lastly, he manages the safety and security of the TdH’s persons and property intervening in his geographical area of assignment.
- This will include threat assessment and advising on risks management.
TdH Country Delegation in Nigeria
Structure of the TdH Country Office:
- The Country Delegation is composed of 2 main offices.
- A field office located in Maiduguri, which for the moment is hosting the field teams, as well as most of the country management team members. A part of the team is established in a field office located in Monguno.
- A liaison office located in Abuja, which is hosting for the moment the Deputy Country Representative.
Security set-up within the Country Delegation:
- The Access and Security matters are, for the moment, directly supervised by the Country Director, who is supported by a Security Coordinator, recruited mid-2018.
- The goal is to extend the dispositive by having Security Officers in some specific remote locations (as Monguno or Rann) who will act as security focal points, but also to increase the security team based in Maiduguri in charge of the security management from Maiduguri and the liaison with the external security stakeholders.
Responsibilities and Tasks
- Ensure that security procedures are followed as per the Country Security Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs)
- Conduct security assessments and threat analysis as required, and where necessary provide feedback on proposed mitigation strategies for local specific threats;
- Liaise with Head of Sub-Office, and report to the Security Coordinator to ensure that all relevant security information is disseminated in a timely manner to the appropriate field teams and other stakeholders as required;
- Work closely with the Head of Sub-Office to propose effectives updates/amendments in the security documents/procedures applied;
- Assist in the security matters for the deployment of projects/operation or even for the conveying of persons or/and properties in his geographical area of assignment;
- Provide a support in the on-the-job training of security focal points within the field team;
- Provide information to field staff on security issues as needed, including travel briefings and risk analysis.
Security incidents management:
- Support the Head of Office in managing and coordinating all security/safety emergency/crisis situation in his area of assignment;
- Preventing, identifying and addressing all acts of corruption, fraud, harassment, severe misconduct against TdH’s image and reputation, whether committed by TdH’ staff members or other personnel or by third parties;
- Conducting/assisting in investigations related to cases of corruption, fraud, harassment or misconduct as and when required by the Security Coordinator;
- Providing to Security Coordinator confidential reports of investigation with adequate recommendations to securely manage proven cases of corruption, fraud, harassment and severe misconduct.
- Liaise and Coordinate with any other humanitarian actors and/or existing coordination mechanism related to Security and Safety management
- Follow up on security incidents and ensuring reports are drafted.
- Conduct/assist in security investigations as and when required by the Security Coordinator.
- Corruption/Fraud/harassment/severe misconduct risks management: mitigation and investigation plan
- Screening all risks of corruption, fraud, harassment and severe misconduct, related to the implementation of the program including (but not limited to) any act or omission that intentionally misleads, or attempts to mislead, a party to obtain a financial or other benefit or to avoid an obligation, as well as the offering, giving, receiving, or soliciting, directly or indirectly, anything of value to influence improperly the actions of another party such as theft, embezzlement, forgery and corrupt practices.
- Liaise with UN agencies, NGOs and other external actors to gain security information and analysis in the region
Any Other Business:
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Security Coordinator for all issues related to staff Safety and Security.
The employee will be expected to:
- Be flexible and adaptable with regards to the implementation of the daily work
- Conduct all duties in a professional manner following TdH staff regulation.
- To complete any other task requested by his supervisor.
- To ensure that the highly confidential information that is dealt with in the course of his work (regarding human resource, finance, legal or political issues) remain within the Administration department only and are not shared within or outside TdH.
- University Degree, in related field Social Sciences
- Minimum 3 year of experience in same role with INGOs
- Extensive working knowledge of Security and safety ground
- Demonstrated understanding of North-East security Context
- Computer proficiency in MS Office suite and Outlook is mandatory
- Required: Proactive, autonomy, rigorous, organized, planning, analytical, clear communication, work under pressure, ability to facilitate change, persuade and negotiate to reach acceptable compromise/solutions among all levels in the organization
- Desirable: willingness and motivation to work in an international and intercultural context
- Fluent in English and Hausa, Kanuri (written and spoken)
- Alignment with the values, vision and mission of Tdh
Application Closing Date
5.00pm; 31st October, 2018.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit copies of updated CV, Letter of Motivation and National ID Card and Reference Contacts to: email@example.com
- The position must be clearly indicated on the application.
- Only candidates who meet the selection criteria will be contacted.
- The recruitment may start even before the stated date and time.
- This position is open to Nigerian national only.