WaterAid is an international not-for-profit organisation dedicated to helping the poor and marginalised people break free from poverty and disease, and change their lives for good through improved access to clean water, decent toilets and good hygiene. Since 1995, WaterAid has dedicatedly worked with the governments and people of Nigeria to support the implementation of sustainable water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) interventions and programmes.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Consultant (Supervision of WaterAid Nigeria Water Facilities and Institutional Latrine Construction)
Location: Kirfi LGA, Bauchi
WaterAid aims at achieving sustainable access to clean water and sanitation in specific states in Nigeria. In line with this, WaterAid works in partnership the Local Government Authorities (LGAs) and the state Rural Water Supply and Sanitation Agencies (RUWASSA).
To achieve its objective, WaterAid Nigeria is implementing the Strengthening WASH Delivery System project in Bauchi State. Part of the project deliverables is the provision of access to clean water and improved sanitation facilities in selected communities and Primary Healthcare Centres in Kirfi Local Government Area of Bauchi State.
The project seeks to identify and engage a competent consulting firm with expertise in Water and Civil work construction to supervise the process of borehole and latrine construction and provide technical oversight and quality assurance to ensure the contractors are delivering to industry standard and in compliance with WaterAid specifications and designs
Over the years, our monitoring and evaluation has revealed several issues with the quality of latrines and water schemes constructed in the past. With respect to latrines, the dimensions and specifications were sometimes not followed by contractors, resulting in the latrines being poorly finished. Water schemes constructed sometimes failed resulting in further hardship for the intended beneficiaries. This situation, apart from leading to massive waste of resources also poses a great reputational risk for WaterAid Nigeria. As a key player in the WASH sector, the quality of WaterAid’s work in Nigeria is critical in achieving its influencing objectives. It is, therefore, important that the quality of our models is of the highest standards and can stand the test of time in providing benefits to the people.
To address this gap WaterAid Nigeria is seeking to engage the services of an engineering firm that is a certified member of the Council of Registered Engineers of Nigeria (COREN), has a track record of quality delivery and has high work ethical standards to supervise the construction of institutional latrines and water points in the Bauchi State.
This consultancy aims to address the following objectives:
- Ensure materials used for the construction of latrines and water facilities meet with minimum industry standard and best practices while ensuring adherence to WaterAid’s child safe guarding policies.
- Ensure contractors have a good understanding of the designs before commencement of construction
- Ensure effective supervision of construction at critical periods during the construction as agreed with WaterAid Nigeria and support contractors to correct identified errors timely
- Ensure contractors provide the highest quality of output as stipulated in the design and terms of contractMethodology includes:
- Onsite periodic supervision of construction work
- Technical support to contractors to ensure quality output
- Periodic progress report as agreed
- Detailed report of supervision activities including completion of contract report indicating satisfactory quality of output
- During field inspections, identify and catalogue all specific contractor deviations from design, quality of materials, or norms of finishing quality in the observed latrines, boreholes, hand pump wells, or reticulated water schemes.
- To document issue, advice and instructions to contractor on any change deviations and ensure that all such deviations from design, material quality, or finishing quality are rectified (corrected) as quickly as possible.
- Record observations and actions taken at each facility (water points and latrines), augmented by photographs and/or videos.
Scope of Work
- The consultancy will be carried out in Kirfi LGA Bauchi State.
- The Consulting firm is expected to work with WaterAid Nigeria, Bauchi State RUWASSA, FaCePam, the LGA and community people. The consultant is expected to supervise all construction work contracted through WaterAid and report directly to WaterAid Bauchi State office.
- WaterAid Bauchi State Office Staff will be responsible for the management of the consultancy. The support of Bauchi State RUWASSA will be needed and requested.
- The construction will take place in Gandugi, Gagiro, Jamtari, Mbaada, Kuyuntu, Wuro Dishi, Wuro Malle, Gula, Gada Gassol, Golo, Hardo Bawa, Wudil, Dewu, Riban Garmo, Ungwan Waziri, Kafin Iya and Kafin Turaki communities in Kirfi LGA of Bauchi State.
Logistics and Timing:
- The consultancy period would be between end of November and end of January
Terms and conditions for pre-qualification
The consulting firm should have the following qualifications:
- Must be a duly registered company in Nigeria with verifiable office address, phone numbers and email addresses
- Must be a member of the Council of Registered Engineers of Nigeria (COREN)
- For companies outside Bauchi, preference will be given to those with the closet proximity to Bauchi to manage possible cost associated with logistics – i.e. Gombe, Plateau, Kano and Jigawa
- Must have highly qualified staff with demonstrable experience in supervision of water and civil construction work
- Verifiable evidence of experience and reputation in the civil and or water engineering sector with evidence of previous works and services
- Must be willing to work in hard to reach areas
- Must have a minimum of three reputable organizations as referees
- VAT registration certificate where applicable and valid income tax clearance certificate for two years
Deadline: 13th November, 2018.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their submissions with evidence of the requirements for prequalifications to: email@example.com This must also include a narrative, budget and Resumes of the key personnel delivering the work.