Fresh Job Vacancies at the BBC World Service, 13th November, 2018
The BBC is an international multimedia broadcaster on radio, TV, online and social networks with a weekly global audience of 320 million. As part of an historic and exciting expansion of BBC Africa, the BBC World Service is launching a new Sports weekly TV programme and innovative digital sport content alongside existing African Sport output.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Journalist, Igbo
Job Reference: BBC/TP/7218/32723
Location: Lagos, Nigeria
Contract Type: Permanent – Full Time
Division: World Service Languages, Igbo
Reports to (title): Adline Okere
Job family: Journalism
Business Unit: News – W2020
- Africa’s media landscape is changing. It is one of the fastest developing news markets in the world with mobile technology transforming lives, internet connectivity increasing, the radio market remaining relatively strong and Television migrating from analogue to digital.
- The BBC World Service remains the leading international broadcaster in Africa, reaching a weekly audience of more than 100 million across all platforms and Social Media. Globally, the BBC reaches a weekly audience of 320 million across various platforms.
- Over the next four years, the BBC World Service will be expanding its multimedia operations in Africa by doubling the number of language services from 6 to 12. Three of the new language services, Igbo, Yoruba and Pidgin, will serve our audiences in Nigeria and West Africa. They will be based in Lagos, working alongside our operation in Abuja from where the BBC currently produces its Hausa service output. There is a strong emphasis on reaching and connecting with young audiences.
- We are now looking for excellent Broadcast Journalists with the relevant technical and language skills to join the new Igbo service.
- Shift work will be required which will include early mornings, late nights, weekends and public holidays.
- Originate and produce, as part of a team, a wide variety of news and current affairs content for relevant output.
- As a BBC Broadcast Journalist you will work creatively across all digital platforms – audio, video and text – to ensure that the Igbo Service output develops and grows a distinctive character and status in its target area. On a daily basis, you will engage actively with the audience ensuring consistency of output. You will be required occasionally to do some field reporting.
- The successful candidate will have some experience within a media environment. Fluent in Igbo and English (written and spoken), you will have experience of delivering creative output on online platforms. Knowledge of local, regional and international news and current affairs is essential. You will have knowledge of and recent experience of living in the target area, including a good understanding of the complexities of Nigeria. Ability to work under pressure and to react to breaking news is essential.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Use a range of video, audio and digital equipment and information technology to research, write, assemble, edit and deliver outputs in the appropriate medium, to the highest professional standards.
- May be required to present the content on radio, TV or on line. This might be live or recorded.
- May include the production and presentation of programmes. This might be live or recorded
- Exercise editorial judgment in developing story ideas and producing accurate and impartial journalism.
- To undertake pre and post production and studio work, live and pre-recorded. Use a range of video, audio & digital equipment and information technology to research, write, assemble, edit and deliver programmes in the appropriate medium, to the highest professional standards.
- To liaise closely with other team members and with other departments in the BBC, to ensure that output material is shared, duplication is avoided, and best practice is upheld
- Take a lead within a team setting or on delivering a specific piece of journalism or project as appropriate
- To tailor different news treatments for different audiences ensuring that the output reflects the audiences we serve
- To prioritise and plan activities taking into account all the relevant issues and factors such as deadlines staffing and resources available
- To produce engaging packages through a range of production skills
- Delivering to tight deadlines while maintaining the highest editorial standards.
- At all times to carry out duties in accordance with the BBC Health and Safety policy
The Ideal Candidate
You will have:
- Fluency and up to date knowledge of Igbo (written and spoken) and the ability to type quickly and accurately.
- Fluency in English including complete comprehension of written and spoken English and the ability to communicate effectively.
- Familiarity with video editing and writing for pictures and understanding social media.
- Familiarity with news production systems, and a willingness to learn to operate new technology and to be able to adapt to different working methods.
- Ability to write creatively in an engaging manner, produce and translate with accuracy, clarity and style appropriate to a young audience.
- Familiarity with the internet and an awareness of the potential of new technology.
- A demonstrable interest in working in a multimedia environment and in encouraging audience involvement.
- Familiarity with the region to which the Service broadcasts and an understanding of the region’s history, politics, social issues and culture as well as the changing needs of the audience.
- A good knowledge of, and interest in, international current affairs, particularly in so far as they affect the target areas.
- A good broadcasting voice and the ability to acquire the appropriate presentation style is desirable.
- A willingness to understand and adopt the editorial aims and policies of BBC and to abide by BBC Values.
- Knowledge of the aims, objectives and standards of BBC World Service and Global News.
Knowledge, skills, training and experience
- Significant recent experience as a journalist, with a good knowledge of production techniques
- Demonstrates sound editorial and policy decisions based upon a clear understanding of the BBC’s distinctive news agenda, the requirements of news and current affairs coverage, the programme departments and the audience
- Ability to use technology as required, in order to gather material for broadcast.
- Understands how a team works effectively and adopts the most appropriate role
- Able to build and maintain effective working relationships with a range of people
- Demonstrates a commitment to improving diversity in the BBC and understands how individual differences can benefit the BBC
- Effective planning and organising skills, ability to concentrate on several areas of work at one time, prioritising, delivering consistently to deadlines and reacting positively to changes and conflicting priorities
- Ability to write creatively in an engaging manner, adapt, produce and translate with accuracy, clarity and style appropriate to differing audiences and forms of media suitable for multimedia output
- The flexibility and adaptability to sustain performance, particularly under pressure to meet deadlines and changing priorities and circumstances
- An understanding of Health & Safety procedures and how it applies to broadcasting
- High level of responsibility and decision making; able to operate alone.
- No managerial responsibility. May be informally supported by Junior staff i.e. Researchers, Coordinators and Assistants.
- Covers a wide range of journalism activity, producing news content and supporting the production and presentation of programming.
There may be sub-sets of the generic job described above which require additional technical skills. This appendix to the generic job description can be developed to cover such situations.
- Contract: Continuing
- Grade: Local Terms & Conditions
- Any offer of employment with the BBC will be conditional upon you having the right to work in Nigeria.
Deadline: 10th December, 2018.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online