With over 7,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, where they need it. By implementing around 1,000 projects for our partners at any given time, UNOPS makes significant contributions to results on the ground, often in the most challenging environments.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Partnerships Specialist
Vacancy code: VA/2018/B5316/16343
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Department/Office: AFR, GHOH, Nigeria
Contract Type: International ICA
Contract Level: IICA-2
- UNOPS is looking for a Partnership Specialist to secure sufficient opportunities to further grow the Nigeria Country Office which is part of the Ghana Operational Hub (GHOH).
- He/she will contribute to develop business opportunities and partnership strategy as well as its implementation and also act as a vanguard for the office.
- He/She will also participate to build sustainable relationships with government of Nigeria and relevant donors to implement the strategy. This is a position to secure sufficient opportunities to further grow the Nigerian office.
- Partnership and programme development planning
- Development and follow up of partnership opportunities
- Inter-agency collaboration and partnership development
- Knowledge management and innovation
- Support to GHOH
Partnership and programme development planning:
- Contribute to develop a business and partnerships strategy under the guidance of the Country Manager or in his/her absence under the guidance of the GHOH Hub Director.
- Develop a comprehensive partnership and programme development plan for Nigeria in line with UNOPS Strategic Plan and Regional Strategies with support from the GHOH Hub/Africa Region Partnership Office. This includes country context, analysis of the regional and national development and humanitarian landscape, identification of main partners, strategic positioning of UNOPS in the potential operational niches identified, as well as grow pipeline opportunities for Nigeria in scope of the UNOPS Africa Region Strategy.
- Ensure plan reflects in-house capacity, typology of projects and the internal tools and knowledge resources.
- Examine risks and opportunities presented by the strategic positioning of UNOPS in Nigeria and propose appropriate responses to ensure sustainable growth.
- Coordinate and collaborate with relevant personnel at local, liaison and HQ level, as well as Project Managers and project personnel of the country offices covered by GHOH to ensure aligned and coherent interactions with partners.
- Actively participate in the identification, design, formulation and negotiation of new projects and programs
- Coordinate and lead the preparation of business and project proposals in response to specific opportunities in Nigeria and call the attention of GHOH to regional opportunities that may emerge.
- Monitor and evaluate humanitarian and development trends and needs to identify areas of collaboration within UNOPS mandate and existing capacity.
- Research events, publications and announcements, to track and screen opportunities for possible UNOPS interventions and identify trends that will drive partnership opportunities.
- Provide advice and feedback to UNOPS-GHOH and Regional Office on the development of framework partnership agreements that can increase opportunities at the regional level.
- Contribute to the identification, design, formulation and negotiation of new projects and programs and draft concept notes and project document briefs for discussion with partners.
- Create and maintain oneUNOPS opportunities and engagement functionalities in alignment with UNOPS corporate guidelines.
- Coordinate technical and financial requirements, and negotiate proposals to close new project opportunities.
- Drafts agreements and/or contractual documents required for the signature and implementation of new projects.
- Understand and clearly explain UNOPS pricing policy to partners.
- Contribute to the diversification of GHOH in line with UNOPS strategic and Regional objectives.
- In coordination with the Communications and Reporting personnel, when available, gather content for communications and outreach materials for any countries managed within the scope of the UNOPS office or by the Partnerships Group.
- Establish and further develop partnerships with UN agencies, international organisations, governments, foundations, international NGOs and private sector organisations to diversify project opportunities within the GHOH or Partnership Group.
- Undertake advocacy, public information and communication activities in collaboration with the Communications Officer, when required.
- On behalf of the GHOH and/or Head of Programme, participate in and report on the relevant inter-agency, donor and government coordination meetings including addressing project development issues in consultation with UNOPS project managers and technical experts when required. Take part in UN common planning and programming processes, including strategic country analysis, UNDAF, response plans, etc.
- Build a network of key partners, keeping abreast of evolving trends (social, economic, and political), including the application of innovation to project and partnership development.
Knowledge Management and Innovation:
- Implement standards, tools and templates provided by HQ to effectively manage partnership and project development within the team to enhance/maintain UNOPS effectiveness as a provider of project services for sustainable results.
- Contribute to the ongoing research, development and implementation of best practice and innovative approaches to maximize performance and sustain achievements in project and partnership development.
- Help build partnerships capacity and negotiation skills among project managers
- Contribute to the dissemination and sharing of best practices and lessons learned for planning and knowledge building within project and partnership development.
- Provide regular feedback on existing systems, tools and resources to ensure its relevance to day-to-day operations.
Support to GHOH:
- Lead the preparation for the Regional Office/GHOH Directors’ mission to Nigeria by including scheduling meetings, preparation of meeting briefs, background notes preparation and ensure follow up.
Impact of Results:
- The effective and successful achievement of results by the Partnerships Specialist impacts on the performance of the GHOH Director or the Partnership Group by maintaining a robust and diverse pipeline of project opportunities, which leads to sustainable growth of the UNOPS’ presence and strengthens the achievements of UNOPS management results and the fulfillment of its mandate.
- Master’s Degree in Business Administration, Public Administration, International Development, Law, Political Science, Communications or International Relations or directly related field is required.
- A combination of Bachelor’s Degree with additional two (2) years of relevant work experience or a combination of Technical/Professional Certificate with an additional four (4) years of relevant work experience, may be accepted in lieu of the educational requirements outlined above..
- A minimum of five (5) years of experience in International development areas including demonstrated experience such as developing and executing partnership/programme plans, project development and proposal writing/ /acquisition of projects is required.
- At least four (4) experience working in an international organisations/environment, international development, post-disaster and/or emergency contexts with emphasis in sub-Saharan region of West Africa especially in-depth knowledge in the Nigeria context is highly desirable.
- Establishing partnerships with UN agencies, international development organisations, governments, foundations, donors, international NGOs or private sector organisations is highly desirable.
- Project and programme management experience is an asset.
- Fluency in English is required.
- Knowledge of second UN official language desirable
- Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.
- Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
- Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.
- Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
- Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
- Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
- Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
- Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
Knowledge Management and Learning:
- Shares knowledge and experience
- Provides helpful feedback and advice to others in the office
Development and Operational Effectiveness:
- High sense of responsibility
- Excellent knowledge of protocol
Leadership and Self-Management:
- Ability to adhere to work assignments and meet designated deadlines.
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure
- Responds positively to critical feedback and differing points of views
Deadline: 30th November, 2018.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Work life harmonization – UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.