The University of Lagos was founded in 1962 to provide manpower needs for the newly independent Nigerian Nation. It is a city University located in the commercial city of Lagos. Over the years the University has grown to be the Nations pride and the University of 1st Choice, with about 48,000 students and 4,000 members of staff.
Applications are invited from suitably qualified candidates to fill the vacant position below:
Job Title: University Librarian
- The position shall be vacant by March 1, 2019. The University Librarian is a Principal Officer of the University responsible to the Vice Chancellor for the administration of the of the University Library and the coordination of all library services in the University.
- For the vacant post, the University seeks candidates with the vision, proven academic distinction, managerial ability, integrity and requisite professional skill and competence.
- The candidate must be innovative and should understand the nature and dynamics of the best practices in the provision of academic library services.
Qualifications and Experience
- A strong evidence of substantial number of scholarly publications both in quality and quantum in reputable international and national, journals is required.
- Candidate must possess a good honours degree with Master Degree in Library and Information Science or related field from a recognised University.
- A Doctorate Degree in Library and Information Science or related field will be an added advantage.
- He/she must be certified by the Librarians Registration Council of Nigeria (LRCN). In addition, the candidate must be Information and Communication Technology (IT) proficient.
- Candidate must be capable of providing academic and administrative leadership.
- The candidate should not be below the rank of Reader Librarian/Deputy University Librarian.
- The candidate should not be more than sixty-five (65) years by March 1, 2019.
- Candidate must also have at least fifteen (15) years cognate experience in an academic library.
- The successful candidate shall hold office for a period of five (5) years from the effective date of appointment with additional one (1) year subject to satisfactory performance as may be determined by appropriate University laws and the Governing Council of the University of Lagos.
Salary and Conditions of Service
The remuneration and other conditions of service are as applicable to the post of a University Librarian of all Nigerian Federal Universities in Nigeria and as may be determined from time to time by the Federal Government of Nigeria and the University Governing Council as appropriate.
How To Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should forward their Applications with twenty (20) copies of detailed Curriculum Vitae (CV) along with the vision for the position, providing information on the following:
- Full Name
- Place and Date of Birth
- Home Address
- Email Address (s)
- Marital Status
- Number and Ages of Children
- Permanent Home Address
- E-mail and Phone Numbers
- Degrees (including dates/class and institutions) and/or any other qualifications and distinctions (Photocopies of Certificates to be attached)
- Statement of Experience Including full Details of Former and Present Posts
- List of Publications
- Current Research
- Other Activities Outside Current Employment
- Extra-Curricula Activities
- Proposed Date of Availability for Duties, if Appointed
- Any Other Relevant Information.
The candidate should also state in clear terms of not more than 500 words, his/her vision statement for the University in the next five years with particular reference to administration, control and innovations in library services.
In addition to stating the names and addresses of three (3) referees, applicants should request their referees to forward references on their behalf directly to the address below.
All Applications are to be submitted under confidential cover with envelop marked “Post of University Librarian, UNILAG” addressed to:
The Registrar and Secretary to Council,
5th Floor, Senate House,
University of Lagos,
Application Deadline 27th December, 2018.