WaterAid is an international not-for-profit organisation dedicated to helping the poor and marginalised people break free from poverty and disease, and change their lives for good through improved access to clean water, decent toilets and good hygiene. Since 1995, WaterAid has dedicatedly worked with the governments and people of Nigeria to support the implementation of sustainable water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) interventions and programmes.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Learning and Development Manager, Country Programmes
Location: WaterAid Nigeria Country Programme, Abuja
Pay band: Grade F (UK Band 3)
Contract type: Full time permanent
Reports to: Head of Leadership & Engagement
Travel: Approximately 12 weeks per year to WaterAid country programmes and to the London office.
- The Leadership and Engagement team is a part of the People Team and focusses on building the capacity and engagement we need to deliver our strategic aims and to make WaterAid a great place to work.
- This global role makes an important contribution to the delivery of WaterAid’s global strategy through building capability across our country programme teams. The remit will include aspects of management development, performance management, building internal learning and development capacity (including coaching) and co-ordinating and supporting the technical and skills training based on key organisational priorities.
- This role will partner with people leads, subject matter experts and senior managers to identify learning and development priorities and develop & deliver, or source, appropriate learning solutions that support the delivery of WaterAid’s strategic priorities in country programmes.
- Whilst this role will have a global remit, it will initially focus on building capabilities in one or more of our key priority countries.
- Actively working with functional leads, and regional and country programme management teams, to assess learning and development needs and to support the development of learning strategies and plans that focus on developing priority capabilities, built on a deep understanding of the needs and context of our country programmes.
- Provide advice on how best to build capacity encompassing a wide range of learning and development solutions including seeking local providers, supporting knowledge sharing across country programmes, working in partnership with other organisations, creating bespoke blended learning solutions etc
- Working closely with the senior management team of one or more of our priority country programmes, along with subject matter experts across WaterAid, design, and manage the delivery of, learning solutions that build sustainable shifts in capability aligned to that country programme strategy. Evaluate these learning solutions and recommend if, and how, these should be used in other country programmes.
- Support the network of people (subject matter experts) within WaterAid who develop and deliver capacity building to our country programme teams to ensure high quality learning provision, sharing of best practice and best use of resources. This will include supporting the design of learning interventions and working with the Learning & Development Advisor and others to create blended learning solutions managed through our learning management system (The Learning Hub)
- Support excellence in managing performance in country programmes including the embedding and continuous improvement of our ‘Be Your Best’ programme, and supporting country programme HR people to equip managers to have engaging and courageous conversations.
- Support induction programmes in country programmes, under the umbrella of ‘Discover WaterAid’. Advising country programme HR leads and managers in the delivery of appropriate local CP inductions that align with the global programmes.
- Co – deliver the Managing@WaterAid management development programme when required, and support the embedding of excellent people management practice in country programmes.
- Manage the roll out across country programmes of development programmes in identified organisational priorities – for example safeguarding, diversity, digital capabilities etc.
- A graduate (or equivalent) with relevant post graduate qualifications, for example, CIPD, Coaching & Mentoring certification etc.
- Excellent designer with an ability to design creative and engaging face to face workshops and webinars.
- Strong facilitator, highly articulate and confident standing up and delivering to groups at all levels.
- The ability to facilitate and/or coach in other languages, particularly French would be a significant advantage
- Skilled at analysing needs, setting learning objectives and evaluating effectiveness.
- Experience of partnering with third parties to design and deliver learning interventions.
- Good awareness of the latest trends and best practice in learning and development
- A good networker – able to build effective internal and external networks to support WaterAid learning.
- Appreciation of cultural differences across WaterAid and of the difference this makes to learning styles and ways of working.
- A strong communicator, both in written and spoken communication.
- Sound judgement. Able to influence and be seen as a credible source of advice and feedback.
- Good coaching and mentoring skills with an approach that builds capacity rather than dependency.
- Good project manager with sound planning skills.
- Flexible and resourceful.
- A team player, able to work in a collaborative way.
- Commitment to WaterAid’s values and a working style that demonstrates these.
Our People Promise
- We’re looking for people who share a commitment to our vision, and a commitment to playing their part in changing normal. We’re looking for people with an appreciation and respect for different people and ideas, and the energy and expertise to help tackle the most important challenges.
- In return, you can expect to get inspiration from the change you help make happen, a sense of belonging and the feeling of being part of a global community. You will also experience stimulation and fulfillment, the chance to grow, and space to be yourself at your best.
- This is our pledge to you.
Competitive with excellent benefits.
Deadline: 7th January, 2019.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV with Letter of Motivation to: Nigeriajobs@wateraid.org
Note: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.