Job Recruitment at ExxonMobil For General Counsel
Mobil Producing Nigeria Unlimited (MPN) is a subsidiary of Exxon Mobil Corporation with a long and established history of operations in Nigeria. The company’s oil & gas production activities constitute one of the largest sources of revenue for the Nigerian government.
As a result of organizational growth and the associated opportunities within the Controllers function, career opportunities exist for ambitious and result oriented individuals to fill the position of:
Job Title: General Counsel
Job Role Summary
- We are currently recruiting for a General Counsel, based in Lagos, Nigeria. We offer an excellent remuneration and benefits package, which includes a competitive salary, defined benefit pension scheme, share incentive plan, private health care for employees and their families and, where applicable, relocation assistance.
- First stage will involve a telephone interview or skype. However, at second stage we want to interview locally in Leatherhead for this role with a pool of candidates at this base who are willing to relocate.
Primary Job Functions
- Responsible for managing high profile litigation and arbitration docket, including case evaluation, retention and oversight of outside counsel, developing strategic plan for significant matters, reporting on case status
- Responsible for developing and delivering an effective legal compliance training program and providing ongoing advice on legal compliance issues
- Work closely with and advise MPN Senior Leadership Team on significant matters
- Interface and coordinate with ExxonMobil Law Department
- Represent MPN in the negotiation, drafting and implementation of agreements supporting a wide variety of transactions and operations in the oil and gas industry
Job Role Responsibilities
- Mobil Producing Nigeria Unlimited (“MPN”), an ExxonMobil affiliate incorporated in Nigeria, is one of the largest crude oil and natural gas producers in Nigeria. MPN is conducting a search to fill its General Counsel position.
- The General Counsel will be responsible for managing a challenging and high profile portfolio and acting as a key interface with the MPN Upstream Senior Leadership Team.
- The successful applicant will be highly motivated with a proven track record of excellence.
To be eligible for this role, you must:
- Licensed to practice in Nigeria
- Strong academic record; LLM preferred
- Minimum of 10 years of relevant legal work
- Highest ethical standards and integrity
- Strong interpersonal and communication (written and verbal) skills
- Strong analytical and research skills and ability to exercise sound business judgment
- Experience with legal compliance issues (e.g., antitrust and anti-corruption)
- Experience with strategically managing litigation and arbitration matters
- Ability and desire to work both independently and as a member of an integrated team
- Able and willing to travel internationally
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Experience in multinational corporate legal department
- Experience in effectively managing teams of lawyers and developing talent
- Successful candidates should possess a broad range of personal effectiveness and leadership skills, with the ability to facilitate and influence business decisions in a team environment.
- Experience with drafting and negotiating complex agreements
- Demonstrated record of leadership and initiative
- Oil and gas industry experience
Conditions of Employment
Successful candidates will be made a conditional offer of employment. The conditions include, but are not limited to: a satisfactory criminal records disclosure; satisfactory employment references over five years (where applicable); verification of qualifications, including any professional accreditation stated in the application; completion of a pre-employment medical, including a test for illicit or unprescribed drugs in accordance with the Company’s safety policies; and the legal right to work on the agreed commencement date.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
- ExxonMobil and its United Kingdom subsidiary companies, Esso Petroleum Company, Limited, and ExxonMobil Chemical Limited, are equal opportunity employers and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment.
- All applicants are offered equal opportunity to demonstrate their abilities during our recruitment processes, therefore, please contact the Recruitment Team if you wish to discuss any particular requirements to enable you to complete our recruitment process.