Palladium is a global leader in the design, development and delivery of Positive Impact – the intentional creation of enduring social and economic value. We work with foundations, investors, governments, corporations, communities and civil society to formulate strategies and implement solutions that generate lasting social, environmental and financial benefits.
For the past 50 years, we have been making Positive Impact possible. With a team of more than 2,500 employees operating in 90 plus countries and a global network of more than 35,000 technical experts, Palladium has improved – and is committed to continuing to improve – economies, societies and most importantly, people’s lives.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Governance and Leadership Advisor – Nigeria IHP
Project Overview and Role
- Palladium seeks a Governance and Leadership Advisor for the five-year, USAID-funded Nigeria Integrated Health Program, an integrated health program with an expanded effort with the Government of Nigeria (GON) to identify and support rapid scale-up of proven interventions through improvement of service delivery and strengthening of health systems.
- It will focus its support for service delivery in six intervention areas: family planning, malaria, routine immunization, nutrition, maternal/newborn health, and treatment of childhood pneumonia/diarrhea. It has a strong emphasis on monitoring, evaluation and learning.
- This program will work closely with state-level government officials to support established state-level Health and Development Plans, build capacity, and promote ownership of interventions, systems, and results.
- Specific interventions will need to be tailored to local contexts and will be fully developed at state and Local Government Area (LGA) levels. Through agreements with individual states, its potential breadth is the entire country with an emphasis on the north.
- Promote multisectoral partnership and leadership to strengthen governance and accountability at the state level to use resources transparently, enable citizen engagement in planning and monitoring, and produce results in primary health care;
- Work with key stakeholders to identify and select priority areas for policy development related to reproductive health/family planning, maternal and newborn health, child health, nutrition and malaria services; and develops plans, concept papers, and proposals for policy initiatives that are evidence-based and gender-sensitive;
- Provide technical leadership in reviewing and formulating state policy initiatives, which includes researching and drafting policy documents, regulations, ordinances, decrees, guidelines, and circulars;
- Assist stakeholders to prepare for and implement new health policies through capacity building and organizational development.
- Liaise and works with other IHP program leads to strengthen health governance components;
- Build governance and leadership capacity of state, LGA, ward and community levels to be engaged in and accountable for improved quality and increased access to primary health care services;
- Work with the state to adapt and utilize planning, budgeting and accountability tools to harmonize health activities among all partners in the state and foster transparency in planning, budgeting and reporting of results and health finances
- Educated to university degree level or above, preferably holding a master’s degree
- At least 12 years’ experience providing others, especially government leaders and stakeholders, with guidance and technical assistance that enables them to understand policy options and strategies for improving health governance.
- Deep understanding of the BHCPF, PHCUOR and related processes and structures related to strengthening primary health care systems.
- Experience supervising a team of experts focused on strengthening health systems
- Experience carrying out project-related health governance technical assistance and promoting the integration of governance and health systems.
- Ability to develop strong, working relationships with multisectoral counterparts strongly desired.
- Strong interpersonal and collaborative skills. Experience working with diverse and multicultural teams.
- Experience working on USAID funded projects is highly desired.
- Knowledge of local culture and a deep understanding of the social, political and ethical issues surrounding the delivery of RMNCH +NM services
- Ability to speak, write and read English is required.
- Advanced ability to communicate in Hausa Language is required
- Ability to travel within Kebbi state at least 75% time
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Job Title: Senior Health Financing Advisor – Nigeria Integrated Health Program
Project Overview and Role
- Palladium is recruiting a Senior Health Finance Advisor who will support the USAID/Nigeria Integrated Health Program (IHP) to support activities related to health financing for universal health coverage.
- These responsibilities will require a person with knowledge on national and state governments as well as the private health sector participation. This is a full-time position based in Abuja, Nigeria with frequent travel to 3-5 states, and reporting to the Technical Lead for Health Systems Strengthening.
- We are recruiting a Senior Health Financing Advisor to provide content knowledge, technical assistance, and support for the development and execution of health financing and economics activities. Areas of expertise include fiscal space analysis, budget tracking, bottleneck analysis, system of health accounts, resource needs and financing gap analysis, domestic resource mobilization, risk pooling and health insurance, designing costed packages of services and strategic purchasing.
- Methodologies that may be applied include systematic literature reviews, qualitative and quantitative surveys, governance/regulatory assessments, innovative financing and financial feasibility of proposals for expansion of health programs and risk-pooling schemes.
- The Senior Health Finance Advisor will provide technical assistance to and build capacity of country policymakers, state program managers and decision-makers; design and or conduct studies; and write position papers, reports, and technical briefs to inform relevant audiences. The candidate will be required to determine methods and procedures on new assignments, and both implement and manage other staff or consultants in carrying them out.
- Provides health financing expertise/technical assistance to National and State activities of the project, working with other technical staff and host country government institutions.
- Designs and executes the overall health financing strategy for the project and support the MEL team to track the achievement of project results for health financing under the USAID contract.
- Provides remote and on-the-ground technical, managerial, and operational oversight, capacity building and mentoring to specific projects and activities in States settings related to areas of core expertise.
- Works with the national and state level actors to establish and or strengthen multi sectoral health financing technical working groups (TWGs) to institutionalize ongoing health financing reforms.
- Provides technical advisory support to the state’s contributory health agencies, state health trust fund agencies, and other relevant stakeholder platforms.
- Analyzes the economic and financing implications of implementing enhanced health systems, increasing access to and improving quality of primary healthcare services, including integrated reproductive/family planning, maternal and newborn health, child health, nutrition and malaria.
- Provides expert technical guidance towards the design and effective implementation of state contributory health schemes for improved revenue generation, increased risk pooling and shift to strategic purchasing.
- Provides technical support to the National Steering Committee of the Basic Health Care Provision Fund (BHCPF) to ensure funds flow through the NHIS and NPHCDA gateways to the states.
- Provides guidance to NPHCDA, FMOH and state governments regarding budgeting and for service delivery activities and HRH, and innovative financing.
- Uses various quantitative and qualitative techniques to perform financing and policy analysis tasks. Conducts health financing core analytics, expenditure analyses, economic evaluations and develop resource mobilization plans for sustainable health financing systems.
- Participates in and prepares necessary technical and program-related reports, including presentations and white papers.
- Organizes and facilitates as needed project/program trainings, conferences, workshops, and meetings. Is responsible for the development of health financing activity-specific work plans and budgets.
- Ensures quality of services and compliance per project/program requirements.
- Provide functional guidance to outside vendors/grantees working on health finance related tasks to ensure deliverables are met within timelines and budgets.
- Represent IHP at health financing meetings/events and actively participate in the national health financing Technical Working Group and other relevant technical committees.
- Document health financing success stories/lessons learned and produce publishable health financing materials including policy briefs and peer-reviewed articles.
- Performs other related duties and responsibilities as assigned
The following may be acquired through a combination of formal or self-education, prior experience or on-the-job training:
- Advanced degree (MA, MSc, PhD) in Economics, Health Economics, relevant Social Sciences or Public Health with academic specialization in Health Financing or commensurate work experience in health finance
- At least 5 years of health finance experience and broad knowledge in Nigeria’s governance and health finance landscape
- Sound knowledge of methodologies used in health finance research, economic analysis, cost-effectiveness analysis, quantitative analysis, and statistical/econometric analysis
- Knowledge of relevant literature and state of the art interventions related to topic area
- Demonstrated problem solving, analytic, financial, and evaluative skills
- Attention to detail and ability to effectively and efficiently perform multiple tasks and balance competing priorities often within a required timeframe
- Professional and mature demeanor and conduct
- Ability to respond and adapt quickly to changing requirements and competing demands
- Ability to take initiative and/or respond independently to situations
- Appropriate software skills necessary to conduct research, and to conduct analysis of study data, such as STATA, SPSS, or equivalent
- Strong written and oral communication skills for high-level policy audiences (writing examples may be required)
- Fluency in English required, and local languages (Hausa) preferred
- Ability and willingness to travel up to 50% of the time within Nigeria, including to states in the north
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Applications Deadline: 14th March, 2019.