The International Committee of the Red Cross – ICRC- (www.icrc.org) is an independent humanitarian organisation, neutral and impartial. Abuja Delegation is looking for a suitable candidate to fill the vacancy below:
Job Title: Health Care in Detention Field Officer
- As Field Officer in Healthcare in Detention, within the Protection Department, she/he participates in the planning and implementation of the objectives and activities of the delegation related to persons deprived of freedom, particularly in the field of health/public health in Nigeria. T
- o this end, he/she will particularly be tasked to initiate, develop and establish a strong network within the National Prison Service and the Ministry of Health; under the direct supervision of the Detention Doctor and guidance from the Detention CO, in order to facilitate implementation of the delegation’s strategy and objectives.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Support the Detention Doctor in the development/upgrade and the implementation, monitoring and evaluation of general health care strategies and programs in places of detention and within their wider systems, including the development of operational standards and protocols.
- Assists with the organization and facilitation of relevant meetings, trainings or capacity building in line with strengthening health care in detention/protection activities. Responsible for ordering and follow up with the logistics department in relation to items needed for health care in detention activities
- In coordination with the Detention Doctor and relevant colleagues in Protection, liaises and establishes a strong network with prison and health authorities (NPH and MoH) and other actors involved in healthcare provision (e.g. the Nigerian Centre for Disease Control). To this end, he/she will be expected to be an active member of the Healthcare in Detention Technical Working Group (HCDTWG), representing the ICRC and contributing actively to all of its plan of activities in the short and long term
- Assess health-related conditions of detention in PoDs (housing, hygiene/sanitation, food/nutrition, treatment and psychological factors), their effect on the health of people deprived of liberty (health pyramid concept) and propose actions and interventions to improve them; in collaboration with the Detention Doctor;
- In case of emergency/outbreaks, she/he has the capacity to intervene to facilitate and coordinate an appropriate health response (for example a cholera/acute watery diarrhea (AWD), shigellosis, or scabies, measles outbreak where the ICRC may run a one off intervention if the local capacity is not adequate), in coordination with the Detention Doctor;
- Ensures proper management of information collected with appropriate documentation for contributions to internal reporting and external reports (including indicators and baseline) on healthcare in detention; write reports according to activities performed (MoMs, FTR, prison assessment reports as appropriate); contribute to institutional and technical reports (e.g.: QHTR) and relevant databases (MAD-DET, Prot 6); manage individual medical files relating to detention as appropriate
- She/he ensures a close coordination and strong team work with Detention delegates, generalists and specialists, and with other relevant departments in the delegation (Ecosec, Health, Wathab)
Education and experience required
- University degree in Medicine (qualified medical doctor)
- At least 5 years general medical work experience
- Knowledge and experience of working in Public Health as a qualified Public Health Doctor with at least one year of experience
- Knowledge and experience of working within the Nigerian Ministry of Health (MoH)
- Strong reporting, analysis and summarizing skills
- An individual who works responsibly and autonomously
- Excellent team spirit
- Strong communication skills
- Negotiation skills
How to apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Curriculum Vitae and contact details of three referees to: ABJ_Recruitment_Services@icrc.org Clearly indicate “HCD FO ABJ” as the subject of your application (Applications intended for this role without this subject will not be treated).
In the body of the mail, please indicate the following in the format as seen:
- Current location
- Languages you speak
- Years of relevant experience
- NYSC tatus
- Late application will not be considered
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
- However, ICRC will not request for any monetary payments from applicants at any stage of the recruitment process.
- The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) is an impartial, neutral and independent organisation whose exclusively humanitarian mission is to protect the lives and dignity of victims of armed conflict and other situations of violence and to provide them with assistance.
Application Deadline: 18th March, 2019.