Christian Aid (CA) is a UK-based international NGO, partnering with others to end poverty in Africa. At the heart of this vision is the transformation of the lives of people who live in poverty, empowering them to have a brighter future. Christian Aid works in more than 30 countries and has been operating in Nigeria since 2003. The Nigeria Country programme focuses on Community Health and HIV, Accountable Governance including humanitarian response and Gender.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Driver/Logistics Assistant
Type of contract: Fixed Term
Contracted hours: 35
Contract length: 1 year
Expected travel per annum: Up to 75 days
- To provide logistics support within Christian Aid’s office in-country.
- To drive staff, visitors and goods to required destinations timely and safely including co-operation with officials at check points.
- To maintain Christian Aid vehicles, including safety equipment and promptly reporting faults and any observations regarding performance of Christian Aid’s vehicles. To ensure regular maintenance of Christian Aid Vehicle and where requires, ensure any complex vehicle repairs are carried out by the appropriate service provider.
- Ensure that Christian Aid’s vehicles are clean at all times. To ensure vehicle log book is updated regularly.
- To follow up with vehicle fuel top-up and make sure vehicles never go below minimum threshold.
- The role works within the Administrative role family and is key to ensuring staff, visitors and goods are taken to their required destination within Christian Aids offices in-country with significant travel within country.
- The role reports to the Human Resource Assistant but works collaboratively with the Office Administrator and members of the Business Systems Unit.
- All staff and visitors transported to and from their destinations in a safe and lawful manner, within as reasonable comfort as practicable and on time. This includes the use of seat belts for all passengers.
- Adherence to Christian Aid’s Health and Safety, transportation and Security policies; familiarity with local, State and Federal regulatory policies relating to safe driving on all Nigerian roads.
- Vehicles well maintained and free from filth always. Servicing and repairs carried out by appropriate service providers as and when due.
- Valid copy of driver’s licence appropriate for vehicle, daily vehicle check list, log book, insurance and other vehicle documentations up to date
- Positive communication and successful negotiation (in line with Christian Aid’s policies and procedures) with officials and security or police forces, particularly at check points and border crossings.
- Radio (i.e. CODAN) and other communication devices properly used and maintained were applicable
- Provide Aadministrative support for the country programme i.e. dispatch and collection of mails; purchase of items; collection of quotations; support in bank transactions etc.
- (Key relationships, frequency of contact, purpose of contact (liaison/influencing/negotiating etc.)
- This role holder will have contact with visitors and partners in-country as well as contact with officials at check points.
- The role will work collaboratively with all Christian Aid staff at the Country office and other field locations.
- The ability to make day to day decisions to assist in providing logistics support within Christian Aid’s office in country. This will include day to day decisions regarding journeys and routes.
- Ability to use judgment to determine safety of travel.
Developing self and others:
- To manage own time effectively under the supervision of the line manager.
Note: Further details of specific tasks and duties will be agreed with the line manager as part of the performance agreement. Any reasonable duty may be assigned that is consistent with the nature of the job and its level of responsibility.
Applied skills/knowledge and expertise:
- Educated to school certificate level with basic knowledge of manual work.
- Must have driving licence and any other documentation required to drive a vehicle and passengers.
- Must have a minimum of 5 years’ experience of driving a vehicle with passengers, knowledge of the area and experience of liaising with officials at check points.
- Good knowledge of road network across Nigeria especially Project locations/CA Focal states in Nigeria
- Fluency in spoken and written English Language
- Excellent planning and prioritization skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Good knowledge of major road networks in Nigeria.
- Experience with completing vehicle logs and preparing periodic (daily/weekly/monthly) vehicle usage reports
- Ability to be flexible and work outside normal working hours.
- Basic Mechanical Skills
- Ability to understand and follow specific instructions and procedures
- A clear sense of maturity/ ability to work under pressure
- A good sense of figures for basic accounting and banking transactions
- Excellent negotiation skills
IT competency required:
- FOUNDATION LEVEL: You are expected to be able to:
- Build partnerships:
- Work in a reliable, helpful and cooperative way with all colleagues
- Treat everyone with respect, accepting that people are different and have different views
- Communicate effectively
- Communicate clearly and concisely verbally in their own language
- Ask additional questions to clarify when needed.
- Take responsibility for managing your own time effectively
- Take responsibility for any Christian Aid resources they use (e.g. vehicles, equipment).
- Provide a high level of service
- Maintain relevant knowledge required for the role.
- Act on feedback on own performance
- Act and behave consistently in line with Christian Aid’s values
- Demonstrate concern for the wellbeing of others.
Strive for improvement:
- Find ways to make improvements in your work
- Use initiative when faced with problems
- Willingly share knowledge and information that may help others.
Note: This role profile is not prescriptive; it merely outlines the key behaviours the role-holder requires to be successful in the role; the key behaviours and responsibilities are subject to change. Any changes will be made in consultation with the role-holder.
Salary (Full time)
N2,571,410 per annum
Deadline: 18th March, 2019
26th March, 2019
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online