Current Vacancies at Malaria Consortium (Jigawa, Katsina, Yobe)
Malaria Consortium is one of the world’s leading non-profit organisations specialising in the comprehensive prevention, control and treatment of malaria and other communicable diseases among vulnerable and under privileged populations. We increasingly find our work on malaria can be effectively integrated with other similar public health interventions for greater impact and therefore expanded our remit to include child health and neglected tropical disease interventions.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job title: State Malaria Service Delivery Expert
Locations: Jigawa, Katsina, Yobe
Role Type: National
Job Type: Fixed Term
Length of Contract: 5 years
Reporting to: State Team Manager
Country and Project Background
Malaria is highly endemic in Nigeria and it remains one of the leading causes of childhood and maternal morbidity and mortality in the country. Nigeria is deeply committed to making progress towards the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals and it recognizes the fact that, without firm efforts to control malaria, achievement of the targets related to child mortality, maternal mortality, and reducing the burden of communicable disease will not be possible. Malaria therefore constitutes a significant development challenge for Nigeria. Interventions for reducing malaria burden in the country are documented in the national malaria strategic plan with Government taking the lead in its implementation with the support of all the RBM partners. The DFID funded and Malaria Consortium led malaria programme, SUNMAP, provided technical assistance and other support to the Nigeria National Malaria Elimination Programme (NMEP) covering the period 2008 to 2016.
The anticipated follow on project, SUNMAP2 has been designed to strengthen the management and technical capacity of NMEP, State Malaria Elimination Programme (SMEP) and their stakeholders to drive the implementation of the National Malaria Strategic Plan, 2014 to 2020 and achieve its ambitious targets. This will include short term technical assistance and technical assistance embedded in NMEP in key areas of programme management, evidence generation and use, and capacity building across all project outputs and ultimately reducing Nigeria’s malaria burden and strengthening the Government of Nigeria’s health systems capacity to ensure long term programme and impact sustainability.
- The State Malaria Service Delivery Expert would take the lead in the implementation of malaria interventions and ensure delivery of technical content of the programme activities at the state level in line with the programme strategies and supported by the State Government.
Scope of Work
- Specifically, the job holder will work with the State Team Manager and team members in providing technical support to the development of programme technical strategies for the implementation of malaria prevention and case management in various communities within the state.
- S/he will provide technical support and contribute to the development of technical strategies at the state level in addition to continuously expanding to the value add of the programme as part of the joint leadership of programme VFM at the state level.
- The job holder will provide capacity building support to the SMoH and the SMEP to support the health systems to coordinate, integrate and expand health reforms especially its ability to cope with donor support and changing epidemiology.
Key Working Relationships
- The State Malaria Service Delivery Expert working under the line-management of the State Team Manager and in close collaboration with the state, LGA, community actors, stakeholders and partners would deliver aspects of the programme as per the specified job tasks and expected deliverables.
Technical contributions (70%):
- Coordinate the implementation of malaria prevention and case management service delivery in the state.
- Provide technical oversight to the supply chain officer on logistics of commodities of malaria commodities from the central medical stores to the health-facilities;
- Provide support to the SBCC, gender and equity officer to ensure harmony and synergy in programme roll out and implementation.
- Coordinate the planning and roll-out of training of health workers in the state.
- Work with the project MEAL Officer to ensure that high quality project data is collected, analysed and disseminated to relevant stakeholders at all levels
- Contribute to the review of supervision model and roll-out plan for the state
- Provide technical support to the implementation of supervisory activities to health facilities based on finalized supervisory plan
- Provide technical support in assessing the logistics and supply chain for SuNMaP2 commodities in the relevant states
- Contribute to adaptation of SuNMaP 2 training manuals to State context
- Develop training plans for service delivery components of SuNMaP2
- Work with other technical officers to contribute to the finalization of criteria for selection of communities, health facilities and volunteers for project implementation based on continuum of care approach
- Prepare and submit project malaria technical activity reports to State team leads
- Coordinate the project specific support to State Ministry of Health on procurement, supply chain and logistics activities
- Contribute to the finalisation of the project performance and M&E frameworks and take the lead in the operationalization of the frameworks.
- Represent MC on malaria Technical Working Groups (TWGs) and other relevant health coordinating committees at state level with approval of the State Team Managers
- Liaise with the State SMoH and other partners for successful implementation of all SUNMAP2 activities related to service delivery.
- Provide support during mass distribution of LLINs in the States
Project management (20%):
- Contribute and work with the relevant personnel to prepare all relevant project start up and planning tools on time
- Contribute to project exit strategy as part of project design and ensure inclusion of relevant activities to promote sustainability within the work-plan and smooth transition of the project to government
- Prepare and submit project service delivery activity reports to State Team Managers
- Contribute to quarterly programme reporting of achievement against MC’s strategic objectives and milestones
- Manage risks to Malaria Consortium including financial, reputation and security in a challenging environment
- Work with the State and national finance teams to prepare quarterly financial reports
Technical performance management and quality assurance (10%):
- Contribute to the roll-out of project service delivery activities which meet international quality standards.
- Document evidence and best practices that are related to the project
- Work with the relevant state and country level personnel to prepare an exit strategy and to implement it, to see to the smooth end of the programme
- Contribute to quarterly lessons identification and learning documentation and dissemination
- Participate in quarterly country office cross-learning forum
Qualifications and experience
- Degree in Medical, Public Health, Health Policy, Epidemiology or another relevant specialty is a minimum requirement
- A minimum of 5-years’ experience in a related position
- Previous experience in Malaria focused project
- Significant experience of working in developing countries
- Excellent project planning, management and monitoring & evaluation skills
- Good knowledge of PSM systems and LMIS in Nigeria
- Familiar with monitoring and evaluation of community based health programmes
Work-based Skills and Competencies:
- Technical knowledge and skills in control of malaria, pneumonia and diarrhoea
- Knowledge of medical supplies procurement and supply chain management
- Familiar with public health principles
- Excellent report writing and presentation skills are also needed
LEVEL C – Supports others to achieve results:
- Displays a positive and enthusiastic approach and is not deterred by setbacks, finding alternative ways to reach goals or targets
- Supports others to plan and deliver results
- Supports others to manage and cope with setbacks
Analysis and use of information:
LEVEL B – Uses evidence to support work
- Identifies and uses various sources of evidence and feedback to support outputs
- Uses evidence to evaluate policies, projects and programmes
- Identifies links between events and information identifying trends, issues and risks
- Ensures systems are in place to address organisation needs
Interpersonal and communications:
LEVEL C – Adapts communications effectively:
- Tailors communication (content, style and medium) to diverse audiences
- Communicates equally effectively at all organisational levels
- Understands others’ underlying needs, concerns and motivations and communicates effectively in sensitive situations
- Resolves intra-team and inter-team conflicts effectively
Collaboration and partnering:
LEVEL B – Collaborates effectively across teams:
- Proactive in providing and seeking support from expert colleagues
- Raises difficult issues with teams/ partners and stakeholders with a view to positive resolution
- Proactive in building a rapport with a diverse range of people
Leading and motivating people:
LEVEL C – Effectively leads and motivates others or direct reports:
- Gives regular, timely and appropriate feedback
- Acknowledges good performance and deals with issues concerning poor performance
- Carries out staff assessment and development activities conscientiously and effectively
- Develops the skills and competences of others through the development and application of skills
- Coaches and supports team members when they have difficulties
LEVEL C – Supports others to cope with pressure:
- Responds positively to change, embracing and using new practices or values to accomplish goals and solve problems and supports others to do the same
- Adapts team approach, goals and methods to achieve solutions and results in dynamic situations
- Sets realistic deadlines and goals for self or team
Living the values
LEVEL C – Supports others to live Malaria Consortium’s values
- Demonstrates personal integrity by using role position responsibly and fairly
- Cultivates an open culture within the wider team, promoting accountability, responsibility and respect for individual differences
Strategic planning and thinking and sector awareness:
LEVEL B – Is aware of others’ activities and vice versa in planning activities:
- Takes account of team members’ and others’ workload when planning
- Maintains awareness of impact on other parts of the organisation, keeping abreast of others’ activities, objectives, commitments and needs
- Has a good understanding of the sector in which Malaria Consortium works
Deadline: 6th May, 2019.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online