WaterAid is an international organisation whose mission is to transform the lives of the poorest and most marginalised people by improving access to safe water, sanitation and hygiene. Through their partners, they have reached 2 million people with safe water and 3 million people with sanitation last year.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Finance/Admin Volunteer
- The WaterAid volunteering is intended to be a learning and development opportunity for young professionals to gain exposure and build skills through work in an international development organisation and potentially, form a crop of professionals with experience relevant to the international development or other professional sectors
- The volunteer will undertake receptionist and other administrative support functions at the state office in Bauchi. The post holder will be expected to be able to maintain the office facilities and also provide accurate information to visitors and staff.
- The post holder will serve as the custodian of petty cash and be responsible for day to day operation of the petty cash box in line with constituted authority approval, this includes payment, reconciliation, record keeping/documentation, security, compliance review and retirement. The volunteer will also be responsible for other finance related functions.
Front desk service:
- Attend to all visitors in a polite, professional and courteous manner.
- Answer all incoming calls and redirect them or keep messages, demonstrate courteous, positive and a helpful attitude in all interactions, including telephone conversations. Take complete messages in a professional and legible manner.
- Ensure front desk area is tidy, clean and presentable at all times and the ambience is maintained in line with profile of WaterAid.
- Apply appropriate discretion in managing information and documents of a sensitive nature; keeping hard copy documents received out of public view and not leaving them on the front desk, counters or unattended.
General administrative duties:
- Perform basic office support and document processing services such as typing, photocopying, spiral binding and drafting correspondences as requested.
- Act as custodian of the stationery and office supplies storage.
- Support achievement of efficient office services; Take responsibility for basic maintenance of office facilities and premises and escalating complaints as necessary to colleagues.
- Oversee office cleaning to ensure cleanliness, tidiness and ambience for productive work.
- Provide logistics support for State workshop and meetings.
- Receive letters, mails and parcels and distribute them in a timely manner to recipients and processing outgoing despatch.
- Collect utility bills –water bills and process payments to service providers; monitor utilisation of electricity meters and purchase recharge /top up cards to avoid interruption of office power supply.
- Management of office equipment/ office supplies
- Regularly check the appropriate functioning of office equipment, (intercoms, photocopiers etc.) make recommendations for repair or renewal and supervise maintenance of office equipment.
- Ensure stock levels of store are adequate, accurately analyse monthly stock to state’s budgets and ensure reconciliation of store data with finance record. Also ensure the security of the store.
- Attend to staff requisitions for toiletries and other items such as tea items, papers, etc.
- Arrange prompt repairs of damaged chairs, desk and other office furniture and fixtures; Liaise with State Programme Lead to purchase replacements when necessary.
- Maintain up to date records of all petty cash transaction on petty cash excel template. Ensure that all petty cash support documents are complete and accurate.
- Maintain proper documentation and filling of all financial documents and ensure that petty cash is kept safe, secured and locked in petty cash box always.
- Ensure daily, weekly and monthly petty cash count and reconciliation. Ensure proper documentation of petty cash reconciliation and petty cash counts including surprise cash counts.
- Track petty cash disbursement for timely retirement/submission of receipts.
- Assist the Bauchi program team in the raising partner and activity fund request. Ensure timely petty cash replenishment request and retirement.
- Ensure all cash transaction are in compliance with Water Aid policy, donor and statutory requirement as well as Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Carry out other finance related task that may be assigned by the Finance team in Abuja and the Bauchi program team.
- Maintain confidentiality of financial and other job related information.
- Possession of a minimum of National Diploma. Significant years of professional experience in similar role may substitute for educational qualification
- Minimum of one year work experience in a similar role in a formal /structured work setting.
- Pleasant and good natured disposition with a ‘can do’ attitude /willingness to assist around the office.
- Excellent non verbal, oral and written communication skills
- Excellent people skills and ability to manage conflict/difficult situation
- High sense of responsibility/ Reliable
- Ability to manage information with discretion and confidentiality
- Common sense
- Good telephone etiquette
- University Degree in Accounting, Social Sciences, Humanities,
- Experience in office management and maintenance and handling petty cash.
Deadline: 5pm, 2nd May, 2019.
Method of Application
Interested canditates should send their CV and Cover letter in a single word document to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Interested candidates must be resident in Bauchi state
- Only shorlisted candidates will be contacted.