New Vacancies at the African Development Bank Group, 3rd April, 2019
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Locations: Pretoria, Nairobi And Yaounde
Position N°: 50092484 ; 50092486 ; 50092487
- Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. The Bank’s development agenda to deliver the financial and technical support for transformative interventions that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth. In addition to providing finance, the Bank is Africa’s voice on global economic, financial and development issues, a role that has taken significant importance in light of increasing global integration and interconnected risks.
- The Bank has prioritized five major areas (High 5s), all of which will accelerate developmental impacts for Africa: Light Up and Power Africa; Feed Africa; Industrialize Africa; Integrate Africa; and Improve the Quality of Life of the People of Africa. The Bank is building a world class senior management team to lead the successful implementation of the vision.
- The Bank is adapting its operating model to ensure the effective delivery of these priorities. A critical part of this is the establishment of five regional development and business delivery offices: West, East, Central, North and Southern Africa. The Director General will report to the Vice President for Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery.
- The Director General will ensure that the Bank operates efficiently, effectively and successfully in the relevant countries, and ensure the full implementation of all aspects of the Bank’s work.
- Energetic and results driven candidates for this role will combine regional knowledge with excellence in delivery. They will have a proven track record of building effective teams and of cultivating successful partnerships with both governmental and private sector counterparts.
Duties and Responsibilities
- The African Development Bank has rolled out a new development and business delivery model in order to bring its operations closer to its clients; grow its portfolios from sovereign and private sector operations; and expand the revenue of the Bank. This model will enable the Bank to better deploy high quality knowledge and advisory services, and, most importantly, to accelerate its developmental impacts across Africa.
- The Bank has established five (5) regional development and business delivery offices, with one in each region of Africa: North, South, East, West, and Central.
- The Directors General will drive and ensure the operational efficiency, effectiveness and overall health of the Bank’s portfolio across his region to achieve significant developmental impacts. The Director General will oversee the full implementation and integration of all aspects of the Bank’s work in that region. S/he will spearhead regional business development and investment, driving resource mobilization across the countries under his/her remit and growing significantly the business of the Bank.
- S/he will work closely with Sector Vice Presidents and Directors to deliver on the Bank’s program the region to achieve transformational development impacts.
- The regional Director General will collaborate with internal and external partners to accelerate private sector investments through the development and implementation of the African Investment Forum, amongst other initiatives.
Additional objectives include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Advancing regional integration through the development and execution of major regional infrastructure and development projects and by supporting Regional Economic Communities.
- Strengthening the human and institutional capacities of countries, and deepening the capacity of the Bank to become the thought leader on knowledge products and advisory services to countries.
- Building effective collaboration with bilateral and multilateral finance and development institutions to ramp up co-financing and loan syndications.
- Developing and deploying special programs and advisory services to support fragile states.
The Director General will operationalize his/her mandate by undertaking the following:
- Building a team of highly talented and motivated technical and operational staff, drawn from all sector complexes. This will enable the Bank to improve the quality of all projects and deliver high- quality portfolios to meet the needs of regional member countries and the private sector.
- Supporting countries in the development of country strategy papers and regional integration strategies that will drive country ownership and accelerated delivery on all “high-five” priorities of the Bank.
- Developing critical resources and the technical capability necessary for sourcing and originating bankable projects. This will include collaboration with the private sector on projects with regional social impacts.
- Ensuring efficient and effective project completion by streamlining and speeding up internal processes, enhancing operational efficiencies, and driving accelerated disbursements on all approved projects.
- Driving greater value for money in all operations and ensuring country and regional offices are cost- effective through prudent management of human and financial resources.
- Fostering a culture of accountability for results across all offices in the respective regions.
- Cultivating and ensuring a culture of “ONE-Bank”, with the highest levels of ethics, fiduciary responsibility and professionalism to protect and enhance the reputation of the Bank.
- Representing the Bank in the region and building strong partnerships with countries, regional economic communities, and other development partners.
- The Director General will report to the Vice President for Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery.
Desirable Experience and Qualifications:
- A minimum of a Master’s degree or its equivalent in Finance, Business Administration, Economics, Business Law, or related disciplines.
- A minimum of fifteen (15) years relevant and demonstrable experience in international development finance or with a leading private sector financial institution. The last ten (10) years should be at a senior management level.
- A record of delivering results in complex project, portfolio, country, and partner arrangements in Africa, with substantial experience in project planning, development, and management.
- Proven ability to engage effectively at the senior-most levels across the public, private, and civil society sectors, and to mobilise partners for transformative action.
- The ability to communicate orally and write effectively in English and/or French, with a working knowledge of the other language.
In terms of performance and personal competencies required for the position, we highlight the following:
- Excellent understanding of multilateral development institutions, strategies and operational issues.
- An acute appreciation and understanding of the elements essential for the effective delivery and measurement of development impacts through projects and programs in Africa.
- Ability to identify and create meaningful linkages across sectors to drive development impact at a country and regional level.
- Highly developed negotiation skills proven to yield positive outcomes with senior counterparts, both internal and external.
- Ability to innovate, communicate, and implement new strategic approaches essential to the creation and success of the Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery Complex.
- Highly developed strategic thinking skills allied to an ability to translate strategic concepts and direction into the implementation of workable and sustainable projects and programs.
- Able to define and drive effectively the Bank’s activities under uncertain and challenging circumstances.
Executing for Results:
- Excellence in project planning, development and management, with a superior ability to deliver and manage high quality portfolios.
- Demonstrated ability to take prudent business risks and make effective, timely and well determined decisions.
- Ability to work under pressure in a multicultural and distributed organisation.
- Ability to design long-term plans and programs to develop staff competences in line with the Bank’s strategic priorities.
- Proven ability to build and lead motivated and committed teams across functional and geographic boundaries, and to utilize the talent and expertise of team members in a productive way.
- Ability to inspire, generate and sustain staff commitment and professional excellence.
- Agility and resilience to drive successful change management processes.
Building Relationships and Using Influence:
- Strengthens and builds partnerships and synergies internally across functions and geographies, and externally with key institutions to drive regional integration and development.
- Develops constructive working relationships at the highest Management level within the Bank and externally so that important, sometimes contentious, issues can be dealt with effectively.
- Ability to listen and communicate effectively with stakeholders at the highest levels across sectors.
- Strong negotiating skills, ideally in both English and French.
- The roles will be based out of the African Development Bank’s regional development and business deliver offices. The DG will travel frequently to Bank headquarters, country offices, and throughout her/his region to collaborate with teams and to engage strategically with key stakeholders and partners.
- The scope of this role is dynamic and is not limited to the responsibilities as set out above; it will evolve over time and as a result of further organisational reviews.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Job Title: Principal Disbursement Officer
Location: Côte d’Ivoire
Position N°: 50000790
- The Vice Presidency for Finance (FIVP) oversees the financial management of the Bank Group. This encompasses the Bank Group’s treasury activities including borrowings from the capital markets and investment activities; controllership functions including financial reporting and loan administration; strategic resource mobilization and the strengthening of the non-statutory financial resources and instruments; the overall asset/liability management for the Bank Group.
The Hiring Department/Division
- The Financial Control Department (FIFC) of the African Development Bank (The Bank) is responsible for accounting for the financial consequences of the Bank Group’s transactions and decisions, and for the preparation, fair presentation and overall integrity of the internal financial reports and published financial statements.
- The department is also responsible for loan administration and accounting and related fiduciary responsibilities, including disbursement of funds to projects and programs financed by the Bank Group. Lastly, the department provides decision support and expertise in the development and implementation of financial control policies, operational and financial strategies and related information systems.
- The primary objective of the Disbursement Division is to ensure compliance with key fiduciary relatedarticles in the Agreement Establishing the African Development Bank and Fund. Ensure that adequate controls are maintained around the disbursement of Bank Group financed project.
Under the Supervision of the Division Manager, The Disbursement Officer will:
- Ensure compliance with key fiduciary related articles in the Agreement Establishing the African Development Bank and Fund.
- Verify, process and approve disbursement requests of up to UA 2 million for loans/grants given by the institutions of the Bank Group or administered by the Bank on behalf of certain co-operative institutions, such as IFAD, OPEC Fund, JBIC, RWSSI, AWF etc. in accordance with the rules and procedures of the Bank Group. Manage the financial aspects of contracts approved by the country departments in connection with loans/grants authorized by the Bank Group institutions.
- Provide input into disbursement projections as needed with a view ensuring accurate income, cash flow plan and lending program projections.
- Assist and advise borrowers, executing agencies and various third parties on aspects of administration of loans and grants approved by the Bank Group institutions.
- Assist and advise Regional departments and other departments on issues relating to loan administration.
Duties and responsibilities
The Principal Disbursement Officer will carry out the following functions:
Operational Advice and Support:
- Monitor effectiveness, disbursement ratio, special account ratio, counter- part funding issues and loan closing for the assigned portfolio of countries
- Provide technical support to sector departments, lead review and provide input to country and project teams of project documents such as Appraisal Report, Country Strategy and Program, Project Completion Reports etc.
- Participate in country strategy preparation and midterm reviews including assessing capacity development requirements for financial management at the country level; and assist in completing country financing parameters, where necessary.
- Provide disbursement-related assistance to Operations during project launching, project supervision, and portfolio review missions;
- Assist project teams in the assessment of the financial management capacity of borrowers or executing agencies and in the design of financial, accounting and control systems for project execution;
- Interact with Fiduciary services to improve the quality of procurement arrangements, financial management systems and procedures of executing agencies in managing project funds, maintaining project accounts and submitting timely and reliable financial reports.
- Contribute to the review and update of ADB’s fiduciary policies and guidelines and participate in the Fiduciary Community of Practice.
- Participate in resolving audit qualifications to ensure that disbursement activities proceed on an uninterrupted basis.
- Review disbursement applications to ensure that all conditions and requirements precedent to disbursement are satisfied and that internal rules and procedures are complied with, prior to approval and payment;
- Manage reimbursement guarantees issued to commercial banks, including examining requests of issuing reimbursement guarantees and preparing them for the commercial banks;
- Manage funds flow, ensure appropriate allocation of resources to the principal expenditure categories of goods, works and services and manage the use of t Special Accounts;
- Provide training on disbursements policies and procedures in borrowing member countries and to staff in the Bank;
- Verify effectiveness of loans in the case of the first disbursement, and the last disbursement deadline;
- Ensure that the amounts disbursed by the Bank Group will finance only eligible expenditures.
- Coordinate effectively with the relevant country offices on disbursement matters;
- Reply to correspondence from and provide information on disbursement related issues to borrowers and other departments;
- Provide input into disbursement projections for the portfolio of Regional Member Countries (RMCs);
- Provide input as needed to internal and external reports on Disbursement related activities;
- Participate in/lead Task Forces on policy and other matters;
- Participate in technical discussions and loan negotiations to ensure that financial management and disbursement arrangements for proposed projects are appropriate and compliant with AfDB disbursement policies
- Ensure the timely resolution of disbursement issues in coordination with concerned departments and stakeholders
- Conduct loan disbursement missions to verify statements of expenditures, resolve disbursement issues, verify expenditure control measures and general compliance with relevant agreements and policies;
- Ensure the proper liquidation of overdue advances, reconciliation of suspense and special accounts, and the ensure the timely closure of completed loans and grants;
- Prepare disbursement training material
- Serve as a training resource person for Disbursements
- Provide training to executing agencies and Bank Staff to ensure familiarity with and the proper implementation of applicable policies and procedures
- Assist with capacity building of projects/EAs, specifically in the area of disbursement and financial management
- Represent FIFC on AfDB-wide activities, working groups and committees as assigned
- Review and recommend changes to disbursement systems, policies and procedures to promote timeliness, accuracy and efficiency in processing while maintaining appropriate internal controls
- Undertake or contribute to the implementation of special projects for process and systems improvements
- Provide leadership and support to Disbursement Assistants
- Provide clear direction to and monitor the work done by Disbursement Assistants
- Provide input into the evaluation of Disbursement Assistants
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience:
- At least a Master’s Degree in Finance, Accounting, Business Administration or other related disciplines. Membership of an internationally recognized professional association of accountants would be an advantage
- A minimum of 6 years of relevant and progressive professional experience
- Proficient understanding of accounting policies, practices and general policies, procedures, guidelines and reporting requirements prevalent in a multilateral institution
- Knowledge of Project Cycle Management
- Analytic thinking — ability to interpret and explain patterns in information
- Ability to apply updated advancements in own knowledge area to relevant task.
- Client Orientation- delivering contributions across a variety of products and services to meet clients’ needs
- Achieving Results and Problem Solving-using appropriate methods for addressing the causes of issues and monitoring achievement of results according to work plans
- Working Together-Maintaining collaborative relationships and working with diverse colleagues in and outside the Bank
- Communication, Knowledge Sharing and Innovation and Change
- Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English or French with a good working knowledge of the other language.
- Proficient in the use of standard MS Office software applications, particularly Word, PowerPoint, and Excel as well as SAP. Knowledge of SAP would be an advantage
- Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English is a requirement for this position.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Location: Côte d’Ivoire
Position N°: 50078326
- The Senior Vice-Presidency (SNVP) is responsible for supporting the President in the day-to-day management of the Bank Group to achieve its strategic objective and drive performance culture that will align all processes and systems to deliver high impact results.
- The SNVP will provide effective leadership and exceptional coordination to ensure implementation and monitoring of key corporate decisions as well as the identification of necessary corrective measures and actions.
- The SNVP will lead senior management discussions, decision-making processes and the implementation of key Board and Management decisions.
The Hiring Department
- Located within the SVNP Complex, the Safeguards and Compliance Department (SNSC) is responsible for mainstreaming environmental and social development considerations into Bank-financed operations in the public and private sectors through the implementation of the Integrated Safeguard System (ISS).
- The Department’s main tasks is to improve the quality-at-entry (QAE) of Bank operations, including Country Strategy Papers and project-specific interventions (projects, ESW, etc.) as well as during implementation, with a particular emphasis on enhancing developmental effectiveness through application of environmental and social safeguards procedures and tools at various stages of the project cycle.
- The Safeguards and Compliance Department’s mission is to ensure proper application of the Integrated Safeguards System (ISS) and its associated procedures, guidelines and tools, in order to enhance environmental and social sustainability into the Bank’s operations.
- The Senior Environmental and Social Officer will work under the general supervision and guidance of the Director Safeguards and Compliance Department, and in close collaboration with the Safeguards and Compliance Officers in the Department.
- The main objective of the job position is to assist the Department in: assessing the environmental and social risks during identification phase, ensure that the required environment and social reports are prepared in compliance with the ISS during the preparation and appraisal phases, prior to Board approval, performing environmental and social quality control as per the Environment and Social Assessment Procedures (ESAP) for all documents, Identifying gaps in compliance, and proposing actions to enhance compliance ensuring effective and efficient engagement of the Bank in key social policy frameworks and convention, ensure loan conditions include social consideration as needed, Supervising the application of environmental and social mitigation measures and ensure compliance of projects with the ISS thereby minimizing reputation risks during implementation phases of the project and ensures that projects effectively recognize and address environmental and social risks.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Senior Environment Officer’s’ core duties/responsibilities will include the following:
Mainstreaming of environmental concerns:
- Prepare quarterly reports on progress of departmental work and due diligence statistics from the ISTS and coordinate preparation of the annual safeguards and sustainability performance report to Management and Boards;
- Provide E&S support to the Bank’s projects and programmes for both private and public sectors
- Address environmental and social issues in various Bank operations during the identification, preparation, appraisal, supervision and project completion stages;
- Design and/or improve the design of features/ components within Bank operations in order to ensure the effective implementation of environmental and social measures throughout the duration of the operations;
- Assign E&S Categorization for projects (public and private).
- Mainstream environmental and social safeguards mitigation measures into Bank’s operations as required;
- Review TORs for feasibility studies (ESIA, SESA and RAP) to ensure adequate coverage of all pertinent issues required by the Bank’s environmental and social assessment procedures (ESAP);
- Review Environmental and Social Impact Assessments (ESIAs), Strategic Environmental and Social Assessments (SESAs), Environmental and Social Management Plans (ESMPs), Resettlement Action Plans (RAPs), Environmental and Social Management Frameworks (ESMFs) and Environmental and Social Management Systems (ESMS) and prepare where applicable summaries for disclosure on the Bank’s website;
- Prepare the environmental and social technical sections required in the Project Concept Notes (PCNs) and the Project Appraisal Reports (PAR) and any other project related report as required.
- Develop recommendations to enhance environmental and social benefits and corrective action plans to mitigate environmental and social risks in Bank operations.
- Mainstream relevant and cross-cutting issues into Bank operations, particularly issues related to natural resource management,;
- Liaise with other lenders to ensure consistency in the mainstreaming of the E&S modalities, documentation, and other aspects of projects and programmes and the harmonization of E&S standards for all lenders.
Policy and Compliance with environmental and social requirements:
- Provide policy and operational guidance to Task Managers on environmental issues as a means of strengthening the environmental and social performance of Bank operations.
- Monitor compliance of operations with the Bank’s environmental and social safeguards, policies, and guidelines consistent with the Bank’s Integrated Safeguards System (ISS);
- Ensure the quality of safeguard documents, such as Strategic Environmental and Social Assessments, Environmental and Social Impact Assessments, Environmental and Social Management Plans, Resettlement Action Plans;
- Prepare, where applicable, action plans to bring projects and programmes to compliance with the Bank’s environmental and social requirements such as Resettlement Action Plans.
Capacity building and Knowledge Management:
- Identify, assess, and monitor overall training needs of clients and task managers;
- Develop and deliver training sessions for Bank staff and their counterparts in RMCs,
- Participate in, and contribute to internal and external training and conferences on environment and social safeguards as well as to other activities pertaining to advocacy, dissemination and knowledge development.
- Develop and/or contribute to the development of innovative knowledge products on environmental sustainability and/or E&S performance of Bank financed projects and programmes.
- Undertake any other task as assigned by the Director of the Environment and Social Safeguards Department.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience:
- Hold at least a Master’s degree or its equivalent in Environment, Economics, Business Management, Information Technology or in a related discipline;
- Have a minimum of five (5) years of relevant professional experience, and demonstrated ability to manage and perform multiple tasks efficiently;
- Have a good working knowledge of operations, especially information required for project cycle activities and portfolio management, planning, work programs, budget preparation and financial management;
- Knowledge and experience in operationalizing and coordinating the implementation of environmental and social policies through the review and supervision of Environmental and Social Impact Assessments
- Extensive experience conducting environmental assessments and development of effective tools; ability to coach others in the application of the tools
- Proven skills in integrating environmental and social measures into loan and non-loan operations
- Innovation and creativity.
- Client orientation.
- Problem solving.
- Team working and relationships.
- Operational effectiveness.
- Be able to communicate effectively (written and oral) in French or English, preferably with a good working knowledge of the other language.
- Competence in the use of standard MS office applications (Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint) and preferably SAP.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Note: This position is classified international status and attracts international terms and conditions of employment.