European Union (EU) Job Vacancy For an Administrative Assistant
The European Union (EU) is a major player in the international development community in Nigeria with an active presence in the key sectors of health, nutrition, water and sanitation and improving access to sustainable electricity. Additional cross-cutting activities include the fight against corruption, drugs and organised crime, support to the reform of the justice system, measures to increase the role democratic processes and supporting a greater role for civil society.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Administrative Assistant
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Responsibilities & Tasks
- Within delegated authority, the Administration Assistant (Group IV) will be responsible for the following tasks:
HR & Administrative Support:
- Follows-up all protocol issues (visa request, travel permits, stay permits, car registration…) in liaison with the EU Delegation
- Backs-up the administration support in case of absence with respect to basic financial and human resources tasks.
- Support in preparation of contracts including all supporting documents and maintain various records;
- Assists in managing administration and finance operational tasks, as appropriate;
- Follows-up staff planning table (staff annual leave, sickness, unjustified absences, training) and prepares monthly report;
- Maintains an overview of expatriate staff’s visa and residence permit situation, and makes necessary applications;
- Ensures efficient and effective internal and external communication;
- Provides assistance with respect to scheduling of meetings; Ref. Ares(2019)2645016 – 16/04/2019
- Maintains the stock and distribute stationery supplies and updates the stock cards, as appropriate.
- Follows and registers incoming correspondence and communications from the team members. Ensures that replies are sent in a timely manner.
- Keeps record of all mail sent and all documents given for signature and/or information to the EU Delegation;
- Drafts standard and administrative correspondence; corrects written materials prepared by other staff members as regards format and spelling. Photocopies and collates documents as requested;
- Creates and maintains the filing and reference systems in conformity with the criteria applicable under various procedures;
Specific duties for the Administration Assistant:
- Identifies complex, urgent or sensitive information for special treatment;
- Generates a variety of reports and statistical tables to support the other team members;
- Briefs and trains new staffs, give guidance to other secretaries on office procedures and coordinate the secretarial services of the office.
- Front-desk service and telephone communications services
- Monitors all visitors to the office; issues identification cards to them, and directs them to the relevant staff/meeting room as appropriate;
- Manages and operates the central switchboard, answering telephone, respond to routing requests for information;
- Transmits messages and checks the fax machine frequently;
- Receives, registers and dispatch all office communication by e-mail, fax, post, diplomatic pouch, express airmail and telephone;
- Assists in preparation for meetings. Manages the meeting/conference room bookings;
- Updates office staff contact list on regular basis and circulates amongst all staff;
- Keeps list of names, addresses and telephone numbers of government officials members of diplomatic missions, operational partners and suppliers.
- Manages and plans the front-desk coverage;
- Monitors driver’s movements.
General Administration Support:
- Organize and maintain a filing system for the secretarial related files;
- Translates and interprets, as appropriate.
- Specific duties for the Administration Assistant
- Directs and coordinates the support services in the office, including coordinating with suppliers.
- Provides administrative support with accuracy and consistency;
- Plays the focal role for the mission of all staff and leave requests
- Facilitate travel arrangements for both the national and expatriate staff of the office by assisting in preparing all travel arrangements, travel requests, and assists in the preparation of security clearances;
- Arranges hotel accommodation and other mission needs for visitors;
- Maintains field trips schedule for ECHO staff working in the country/region;
Office Specific Responsibilities/tasks: (IF/When applicable):
- Undertakes any additional tasks as assigned by the Head of Office/RSO and/or Headquarters.
Read, accepted and understood on:
- Drive for Results – Medium level
- Conduct in Service – Medium level
- Functional Competencies:
- Working with others – Medium level
- Managing & Organising information – Basic level
- Strategic thinking and planning – Basic level
- Communication – Medium level
- Organisational Awareness – Basic level
- Adaptability & Flexibility – High level
- The definition of each competency and examples of behaviours expected for each level are listed in annex.
- Secondary education or equivalent commercial school. Minimum Secretarial Diploma.
Knowledge and Experience:
- Minimum 3 years of relevant experience;
- Good drafting skills;
- Good communication skills;
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment.
- Capacity to work in a multitasking position.
- Previous experience in a Governmental or other International Organisation is an advantage;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc).
- Fluency in English (verbal & writing).
- An excellent knowledge of (indicate the required local language of the duty station)
- As an indication, the monthly basic salary corresponding to 5 years relevant experiences is NGN 355,512 (subject to Nigerian tax law).
- The salary will be adapted according to the exact duration of relevant professional experience supported by work certificates or work contracts.
- In addition to this, the employee will also receive disability/retirement allowance, 13th month salary as well as a medical coverage.
How To Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply Applications must comprise of:
- Your updated resume max 3 pages;
- Academic and employment certificates certified true copy by the applicant;
- A one-page motivational letter setting out the candidate’s motivation and suitability for the position;
- The name, position and contact number/details (telephone, e-mail) of three references, one of them being from the last employer.
- The vacancy reference must be clearly indicated in the subject line.
Application Deadline 21st May, 2019.
- The position is open to nationals and other residents of Nigeria with a valid working permit. The contract is initially for one year with the possibility of renewal depending on performance and subject to a 3 months’ probationary period.
- Applications which do not meet minimum requirements will be automatically rejected.
- Candidates who have not been contacted by 30 June 2019 should consider that they have not been pre-selected.
- Only the short-listed candidates will be contacted. Any form of canvassing, soliciting or influencing will be treated as grounds for disqualification.