Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an independent international medical humanitarian organization that delivers emergency aid in more than 70 countries to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, natural or man-made disasters or exclusion from healthcare.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Laboratory Technician
Location: Gwoza local Government, Borno.
Working hours: 48 Hours Per week
Grade level: 5 (Five)
Job Family: Medical
- Reports to (Hierarchical): Project Medical Referent
- Reports to (Functional): Laboratory Technician Supervisor / Laboratory Activity Manager
- Perform clinical laboratory activities according to MSF protocols, security and hygiene measures in order to obtain results to determine the patient’s treatment.
- Taking care, manage and organize efficiently the laboratory material/equipment:
- Perform cleaning and minor maintenance for biomedical equipment used. Following the user manual and protocols and alert supervisor in case of malfunctioning
- Applying hygiene and safety protocols, doing daily cleaning /maintenance, sterilization, washing general glassware after procedures are done.
- Ensuring proper sample waste disposal according to MSF protocols and highest safety standards.
- Supplying orders, do stock, storage conditions follow-up, keep inventory.
- Keeping organized the data collection system of laboratory results and all information generated from the analysis done.
- Reporting all relevant information linked to the activity in the laboratory to the line manager, especially the loss/robbery/damage of laboratory equipment or medicines.
- Performing minor maintenance and cleaning of the biomedical equipment following user manual and protocols. Alerting the supervisor in case of malfunctioning of any device.List item
- According to medical prescription, preparing and performing clinical exams/tests with appropriate techniques and following MSF protocols and procedures. This function includes, among others:
- Taking blood, vaginal and urethral samples.
- Centrifuging blood and urine samples.
- Performing laboratory exams (serology, hematology, biochemistry, bacteriology or parasitological, according to context of the mission).
- Ensuring proper reporting and registration of the sample results in order to keep a written track of activity and give information to the relevant persons, ensuring confidentiality.
MSF Section/Context Specific Accountabilities
- Active participation in organized medical meetings.
- Preparing and packing samples for epidemiological or clinical investigations in referral laboratories and document all the tests in appropriate tools
- Assist the laboratory supervisor in the collection of laboratory data as needed and report any emergency findings when it occurs to the PMR.
- Carry out his job with respect to MSF principles and patient confidentiality
- Performing blood transfusion procedures (TTIs screening, donor bleeding, crossmatch and blood bank management according to MSF standards and protocols)
- Performing context specific laboratory exams with the use of following equipment: PIMA CD4, Sysmex blood analyser and spectrophotometer.
- Teaching other health professionals on how to do point of care tests including Hb, Blood glucose, urinalysis and malaria RDTs, and the bedside verification test)
- Make the rounds in the morning and evening rooms for the collection of blood in the tubes, blades in order to carry out the requested examinations.
- Ensure that the results of the laboratory exams are returned to the ward and given to the health care staff.
Note: This list of activities is not exhaustive, MSF may ask you to perform other tasks according to the needs of the context
- Education: Essential Laboratory Technician diploma /degree.
- Experience: Minimum two years working experience essential.
- Languages: Mission language (English) desirable and local language (Hausa) essential.
- Knowledge: Essential computer literacy (word, excel and internet)
- Competencies: Results, teamwork, flexibility, commitment, service
As per the MSF salary scale (National Contract).
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send a CV, Motivation Letter and copies of all necessary credentials preferably by email: email@example.com indicating in subject their full name and “lab tech” application.
Submit a CV and motivation letter and CREDENTIALS in person, in an envelope marked “Laboratory Technician – Gwoza” to MSF Spain Gwoza office, Gwoza LGA, Office.
- Only short-listed applicants will be contacted.
- MSF encourages female candidates to apply. MSF encourages people with disability status to apply.