Latest Vacancy for Procurement Intern at Mercy Corps Nigeria
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Mercy Corps has been working in Nigeria since 2012 in the most marginalized regions of the country to deliver urgent, lifesaving assistance and promote development. We partner with communities to help them recover and rebuild while addressing root causes of conflict, insecurity, and inequality. Every month we help ensure that more than 100,000 people have enough food to eat, and our work impacts the lives of over 600,000 people across the country.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Procurement Intern
Reference Number: ABV/OPS/2019/0018
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Position Status: Internship
Supervisory Responsibility: None
Reports Directly to: Senior Procurement Officer
Program / Department Summary
- Mercy Corps has been present in Nigeria since 2012, focusing its interventions on humanitarian assistance, economic development, and conflict mitigation
- With the ongoing insurgency in Northeast Nigeria causing the displacement of millions of individuals, Mercy Corps started its humanitarian response in 2014 to address the rising humanitarian needs
- As the crisis has persisted, Mercy Corps’ strategy has also expanded to address the root causes of the conflict and seek to build the long term resilience of communities with integrated programs focusing on governance, the recovery of markets and livelihoods, social cohesion and social protection, youth empowerment, and local conflict management.
General Position Summary
- The Procurement Department is committed to implementing and maintaining the highest standards of efficiency and integrity in the purchase of goods and services
- The overriding objective for all Mercy Corps procurement activity is the prompt and effective provision of materials and services to Mercy Corps’ beneficiary populations in compliance with donor specifications.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Learn all MC Field procurement policies and procedure FP3
- Update contract tracking sheet daily
- Update On-going PR Master list with all assigned purchase requests on daily basis
- Scan and achieve all completed transactions as on regularly
- Collects quotations and bids from the market for PR-s as assigned by manager – as per Mercy Corps standards and formats;
- Interact with vendors during collection of quotations – explain Mercy Corps formats and ensure that vendors will use the provided forms.
- Ensure fair competition and strictly adhere to MC procurement rules regarding vendor relations as described below:
- Interact with vendors, in coordination with your supervisor; coordinating with Finance department to ensure payments are facilitated in a timely manner
- Ensure goods are received in accordance with Mercy Corps standards.
- Prepare the required documentation of supplies and transactions are completed to MC standards.
- Update Completed PR Master list with all assigned PRs
- Preparing payments for all assigned procurements where applicable
- Identify assets during the course of procurement and notify the Asset Controller on receipts of assets.
- The Procurement intern will conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission.
- Other duties as assigned
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
- Work closely with Mercy Corps Nigeria country team’s security focal point to develop and maintain systems that ensure the safety and security of the team in all aspects of its implementation process.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work.
- Accountable for following Mercy Corps Field Procurement Manual, the MC Code of conduct regarding procurement activities and MC Conflict of Interest policy.
Knowledge and Experience
- Conscientious with an excellent sense of judgment.
- Ability to work simultaneously on multiple tasks.
- Willingness and ability to work effectively with a wide variety of people.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work as part of a team and coordinate with project personnel.
- Good spoken and written English.
- Computer literate and strong organizational skills.
- Excellent oral and written English skills.
- The ability to interact effectively with international and national personnel is required. A demonstrated ability to multi-task, meet deadlines and process information in support of changing program activities is necessary. The most successful Mercy Corps staff members have a strong commitment to teamwork and accountability, thrive in evolving and changing environments and make effective written and verbal communication a priority in all situations.
- Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Living Conditions / Environmental Conditions
- The position is based in Abuja and will require travel to field offices in and around Mercy Corps Nigeria as and when required.
- The intern will be expected to work 40 hours a week
- The intern will be paid a monthly allowance of N57,000
- Enabling working environment
- Mercy Corps interns and volunteers represent the agency both during and outside of work hours and are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Deadline: 7th June, 2019.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV and Cover Letters in one document, addressing the position requirements, reference number and location to:email@example.com using the Job title as the subject of the mail.
- All applications must include the position title and reference number in the subject line
- Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview
- We are an equal opportunity organization so women are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.