The BBC is an international multimedia broadcaster on radio, TV, online and social networks with a weekly global audience of 320 million. As part of an historic multi-million pound expansion of BBC Africa, the BBC World Service is introducing a wide range of new and exciting language and regional content to serve African and global audiences.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Video Journalist (BBC News Igbo service)
Job Reference: BBC/TP/654815/39915
Location: Lagos, Nigeria
Job Category: Journalism
Business Unit: News – WSG World Service
Contract Type: Permanent – Full Time
- The purpose of the role is primarily to initiate, gather and produce material for news, current affairs and general programming.
- Routinely self-shooting and editing complete packages for use across multiple platforms (TV, Radio and Digital/Online/Social Media)
Key responsibilities and accountabilities
- The main focus of the Video Journalist role is to routinely self-shoot and edit complete news packages, or equivalent. However, the Video Journalist will also be expected to undertake any of the key responsibilities included below:
- Use a range of video, audio and digital equipment and information technology to research, write, shoot, assemble, edit and deliver outputs in the appropriate medium, to the highest professional standards – recognizing the distinct requirements of different types of output
- Routinely self-shoots and edits complete packages.
- Routinely fulfills duties unsupervised.
- May be required to present the content on radio, TV or online. This might be live or recorded.
- May include the production and presentation of programmes. This might be live or recorded
- Exercise editorial judgment in developing story ideas and producing accurate and impartial journalism.
- To undertake pre and post production and studio work, live and pre-recorded. Use a range of video, audio & digital equipment and information technology to research, write, assemble, edit and deliver programmes in the appropriate medium, to the highest professional standards.
- To liaise closely with other team members and with other departments in the BBC, to ensure that output material is shared, duplication is avoided, and best practice is upheld
- Take a lead within a team setting or on delivering a specific piece of journalism or project as appropriate
- To tailor different news treatments for different audiences ensuring that the output reflects the audiences we serve
- To prioritize and plan activities taking into account all the relevant issues and factors such as deadlines staffing and resources available
- To produce engaging packages through a range of production skills
- Delivering to tight deadlines while maintaining the highest editorial standards.
- Willing and adept at passing on skills through training and mentoring.
- At all times to carry out duties in accordance with the BBC Health and Safety policy
Knowledge, skills, training and Experience
- Ability to gather and prepare audio and video material for use on any service, recognising the distinct requirements of different types of output, self-shooting and editing routinely as the main focus of the role
- Significant recent experience as a journalist, with a good knowledge of production techniques – especially self-shooting and editing
- Demonstrates sound editorial and policy decisions based upon a clear understanding of the BBC’s distinctive news agenda, the requirements of news and current affairs coverage, the programme departments and the audience
- Strong track record of originating and developing stories for news programmes.
- Ability to use technology as required, in order to gather material for broadcast.
- Understands how a team works effectively and adopts the most appropriate role
- Able to build and maintain effective working relationships with a range of people
- Demonstrates a commitment to improving diversity in the BBC and understands how individual differences can benefit the BBC
- Effective planning and organising skills, ability to concentrate on several areas of work at one time, prioritising, delivering consistently to deadlines and reacting positively to changes and conflicting priorities
- Ability to write creatively in an engaging manner, adapt, produce and translate with accuracy, clarity and style appropriate to differing audiences and forms of media suitable for multimedia output
- The flexibility and adaptability to sustain performance, particularly under pressure to meet deadlines and changing priorities and circumstances
- An understanding of Health & Safety procedures and how it applies to broadcasting
- High level of responsibility and decision making; able to operate alone.
- No managerial responsibility. May be informally supported by Junior staff i.e. Researchers, Coordinators and Assistants.
- Covers a wide range of journalism activity, producing news content and supporting the production and presentation of programming.
Deadline; 9th June, 2019.
Note: The above job description is a written statement of the essential characteristics of the job, with its principal accountabilities, incorporating a note of the skills, knowledge and experience required for a satisfactory level of performance. This is not intended to be a complete, detailed account of all aspects of t he duties involved.