WASH Assistant Vacancy at Save the Children Nigeria
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: WASH Assistant
Job ref.: 190001AW
Location: Ogoja, Cross River
Employee Status: Fixed Term
- The WASH assistant will focus on assisting the WASH Officer in designing, construction, and maintenance of sanitation and hygiene infrastructures while working in close cooperation with other WASH field staff to ensure that related hygiene and sanitation issues are coordinated.
- S/he will be responsible for ensuring the implementation of the WASH components of the Cameroon refugee response.
- Daily supervision of Hygiene, water supply and sanitation activities, including construction, preparing technical design and bills of quantities
Tasks & responsibilities:
- Facilitate technical assessments of WASH facilities and hygiene practices in communities/IDP settlements.
- Assist the WASH Officer in the selection, design and construction of water systems, using ground water or surface water, including abstraction, storage, treatment and distribution for new systems or rehabilitation of existing systems.
- Provide technical assistance to the WASH Officer in the assessment of sanitation needs, design and implement the most appropriate form of sanitation system, in consultation with male and female beneficiaries, which includes excreta disposal, refuse disposal, vector control and drainage
- Identify and engage skilled and unskilled labour workers for borehole rehabilitation and emergency latrines construction.
- Raised material request for borehole and latrine construction materials.
- Keep track of construction materials used daily in the material consumption sheet.
- Prepare request for daily skilled and unskilled labour for construction and rehabilitation work.
- Prepare and submit weekly timesheets of daily skilled and unskilled workers for validation.
- Consider different maintenance mechanisms, ensuring that they are appropriate to the local context and cultural norms and that facilities are sustainable.
- Prepare a Written Work Instruction for use on-site to bring clarity to the contractor’s roles and responsibilities in each stage of the execution of construction activities.
- Continually assess emergency needs, as requested, especially taking in the broader perspective of public health.
- Ensure that work meets with SPHERE minimum standards.
- Ensure that all technical work reflects the needs and preferences of different target groups.
- Train and build the capacity of Stakeholders, beneficiaries and partners
Tasks & Responsibilities:
- Work closely with community leaders to Identify community capacity needs.
- Prepare training tools on relevant technical topics and conduct trainings for both internal staff and external stakeholders.
- Assist the WASH Officer in the development of technical guidelines and tools.
- Assess areas for improvement and recording lessons learnt for future activities.
- Facilitate Hygiene Promotion sessions and promote behavior change
Tasks & Responsibilities:
- Assess hygiene practices and identify risky behaviours within the community and identify best hygiene promotion approach.
- Facilitate the selection and training of community hygiene promoters.
- Identify and train volunteers in preparedness for emergency cholera response.
- Liaise closely with the WASH Officer throughout the planning, design and implementation stages of the WASH technical activities.
- Identify and train water vendors to improve access to safe drinking water.
- Work closely with community structures in building sustainability and ensuring the effective utilization of WASH facilities.
- Coordinate with internal staff and local stakeholders to ensure smooth project implementation
Tasks & Responsibilities:
- Coordinating with other disciplinary teams or the on-site construction supervision personnel on technical matters.
- Liaise closely with other sectors in the implementation of WASH activities.
- Ensure that effective communication and networking is developed and maintained through partnership and collaboration.
- Team with local Government and sectoral stakeholders/counterparts to exchange information on WASH technical implementation status.
- Assist and participate in community mobilization.
Internal & External Relationship
- WASH Technical Assistant: Collaborate with the hygiene promotion and social mobilization team members to ensure exchange of information and promote effective use of WASH facilities in the community.
- Minimum of Bachelor Degree in Water Engineering, Civil Engineering and other related fields.
- Additional experience in troubleshooting, borehole rehabilitation, solar installation and latrine construction.
Skills & Experience
- Previous experience in supervising drilling and construction activities.
- Professional, good organizational capacity, motivated, open, creative, mature, responsible, flexible and, culturally sensitive.
- 1-year relevant work experience.
- Microsoft Office and designing software Skills (AutoCAD, Outlook, Excel, Power Point, Word)
- The candidate should be willing and able to be based and travel regularly within remote areas, where services are limited.
- Fluency in English
- Commitment to SCI mission, values and policy.
- Familiarity with mapping field equipment and software
- Experience with emergency water supply systems
- Familiarity with population fluxes and water supply management in the context of emergencies
- Experience working in emergencies in Cross River and Benue is desirable
- Familiarity with disaster-affected population
Behaviours (our Values in Practice)
- Holds self accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, members and external partners and supporters
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity
Deadline: 27th May, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online