Communication & Advocacy Officer Job at Plan International, 7th June
Plan International is an independent development and humanitarian non-profit organisation that advances children’s rights and equality for girls. We support children’s rights from birth until they reach adulthood, and enable children to prepare for – and respond to – crises and adversity. We believe in the power and potential of every child, but know this is often suppressed by poverty, violence, exclusion and discrimination.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Communication & Advocacy Officer
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
- Under the general guidance of the Country Communications Advisor and with support from the Emergency Response Manager, the Communications officer will be responsible for implementing the approved Plan International Nigeria integrated communications in emergency strategy.
Dimensions of the Role:
- The position will oversee the production of key and high quality offline and online multi-media communications resources that secure coverage in support of Plan International’s emergency work in Nigeria.
- This will help raise the profile of Plan International’s work nationally and internationally, in support of advocacy and fundraising goals while positioning Plan International to interact with key audiences and to promote the respect for children’s rights and welfare.
Strategy Implementation and Enhancement:
- Oversee the management of the communications and guest relations department budget and resources.
- Ensure brand visibility, adherence to procedures, protocols and policies.
- Support High Profile/VIP visits to the organization to create, maintain and enhance the reputation and goodwill of the organization.
- Monitor and evaluate the impact of our communications work.
- Lead the development and implementation of an integrated communications strategy and operating plan aligned to organizational priorities for outreach, income and impact.
- Build and manage a high-performance communications function that is structured, focused and staffed for productive and quality work in emergency work.
- Monitor the context for challenges, risks, threats and opportunities related to the emergency context that may impact communications and public engagement approaches, messaging and operations.
- Support regular production of situation reports
- Liaise with country emergency response teams and Lake Chad communications team to create, receive and compile relevant materials for emergency response information and communication in a timely manner.
- Ensure Plan International’s rights- based programming approach and child protection policy are appropriately reflected in the emergency communication strategy, work plan and products.
Donor/Public Engagement Communications Management:
- Highlight the humanitarian situation on the ground, cover Plan International’s response and reinforce Plan International’s advocacy and policy positions in line with Global Strategy.
- Gather internal knowledge and transform it into a range of compelling human interest child-focused content such as: case studies, eyewitness accounts, blogs, first person account, images, audio, video for sharing with all publics.
- Ensure access to content in high resolution formats in the global Media Bank
- Liaise with program point persons for media outreach activities such as drafting Op-Eds, quotes, press releases, media briefs, media pitches, multimedia content and organising media engagement activities around events.
- Support efforts for timely country office reports such as sit reps, weekly updates, newsletters, annual report and donor related materials.
- Lead all Public Relations Events and creatively communicate our role in emergency responses, enabling the exploitation of all media opportunities (including, mainstream media, new media and online opportunities such as blogging and social media influencers).
- Oversee proactive in-country media engagement to generate proactive and positive news coverage as well as opportunities to raise the visibility of Plan International (North-east Nigeria Response).
- Prepare and position the Emergency Response Manager for important media opportunities and interviews that promote and protect the public image of Plan International Nigeria, while raising public awareness on key issues of children’s rights especially girls.
- Lead the process to identify, train and position other media spokespersons within Plan International (North-east Nigeria Response) from the project-level to senior leadership as a strategic and appropriate way for responding to media inquiries and achieving positive coverage.
- Host and organise media trips to North-East Nigeria impact area and act as an advisor and support to press officers in affiliates who are working to deliver media coverage within their markets
- Develop a crisis communications management plan to protect the reputation of Plan International (North-east Nigeria Response) from actual or potential media crisis.
Staff Engagement: Internal Communications Management:
- Develop and deliver a staff engagement Communications strategy to ensure staff and volunteers of Plan International (North-east Nigeria Response) and the partnership at large are informed and engaged with the organizations work.
- Establish systems and safeguards for the appropriate and effective flows of relevant information to and from Plan International (North-east Nigeria Response) staff when required.
Advocacy Communications Management:
- Work closely with the program specialists in defining key issues, messaging, and identifying appropriate communications channels for public advocacy initiatives.
- Support advocacy campaigns by engaging the media to gain exposure and credibility, managing media sensitivities and risks, and increasing public discussion and fundraising.
Communicating with Communities:
- Develop and facilitate community-level Communications for Development (C4D) programming, together with appropriate project staff and community members, for the amplification of Child and Community Voice that engages supporters and donors, and builds staff and community connections and life skills.
Technical Expertise, Skills and Knowledge
- Strong understanding of the international humanitarian community, preferably experience working with/in coalitions of other INGOs and the UN.
- Knowledge of information management in conflict situation.
- Demonstrated and considerable experience of working with international media, communications or public relations roles
- Fluency in English and Hausa languages
- A first degree/HND or Masters in Communications studies or Social Sciences
- At least 5 years’ experience working on communications or media for NGO or in journalism especially in emergency settings.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and the ability to communicate complicated and technical issues in a concise and clear way, to a wide range of target audiences
- Demonstrated experience of the key responsibilities, including working with media, delivering
- Communications strategies, managing internal communications, knowledge of digital media, and creating networks
- A track record of achieving results and strategic impact on communications and media and in building capacity for teams to deliver
- Must show demonstrable impact in using communications as a tool for social change
- Sound political judgement and risk management
- Excellent analytical and critical thinking skills, including ability to find, absorb, analyse and prioritise information from many different sources, and proven experience of strategy development
- Ability to work in a volatile and, at times, insecure environment, under pressure, to tight deadlines, with competing priorities and minimal supervision
- Ability to travel – sometimes at short notice
- Flexibility and adaptability
- Excellent inter-personal skills and ability to work in multi-national, multi-cultural teams.
- Computer literate and well versed in basic software (Word, Internet Explorer, Excel, etc).
How To Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 21st June, 2019.