Director of Finance and Administration Job at Mercy Corps Nigeria
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action – helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Director of Finance and Administration
Reference Number: ABV/OPS/2019/0022
Location: Abuja, Nigeria with regular travel
Position Status Full-time, Regular
Program / Department Summary
- Nigeria is the most populous country in Africa, and its influence spreads across the continent. Yet, inequality and insecurity have consistently undermined Nigeria’s development. Mercy Corps Nigeria was established in 2012 to respond to these challenges.
- The Nigeria team is headquartered in Abuja, in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), with offices throughout Nigeria. With a strong and growing team of over 200 staff, Mercy Corps is currently serving over 600,000 beneficiaries across the country with programming in Lagos in the South; Kaduna, Benue, Nasarawa and Plateau in the Middle Belt; Kano in the North; and Gombe and Borno in the Northeast. Programs include girls’ education and financial inclusion, community peace-building, market-based livelihoods and a multi-sector humanitarian response.
- With the vision of a Nigeria in which all people are empowered, engaged, resilient and secure, Mercy Corps Nigeria focuses on the root causes of conflict, governance, humanitarian needs, and market systems development.
General Position Summary
- Mercy Corps is seeking candidates for a Director of Finance and Administration who will manage and lead the finance and administration components of an expected five-year USAID-supported Community Initiatives to Promote Peace (CIPP) Program in Nigeria.
- The Director of Finance and Administration oversees program operations, including but not limited to human resources, logistics, procurement, sub-contracts or sub-awards, and accounting/finance. This individual also develops internal control measures, conducts internal financial audits, and coordinates external financial audits.
- The Director prepares budgets for annual work plans and financial reports for USAID. This individual also develops the financial management capacity of all relevant staff and sub-awardees.
Essential Job Responsibilities
Financial And Administration Management:
- Ensure effective, transparent use of financial resources in compliance with Mercy Corps and donor policies and procedures.
- Maintain banking relations and plan and monitor country cash flow requirements to ensure the smooth implementation of the program.
- Maintain appropriate local insurance coverage in coordination with the Admin. Department.
- Provide monthly standard accounting submissions to Mercy Corps Headquarters, including general ledger files, account reconciliations, expenditures by cost center/project, required subgrantee reporting, as well as other financial information in a timely and accurate manner.
- Provide monthly management reports to the Country Director and Program Managers, including expenditures by cost center/project, subgrantee reporting and other financial information, in a timely and accurate manner.
- Develop annual fiscal year budgets with the COP and Country Director and develop and implement grant budgeting and forecasting systems with Program Managers.
- Oversee subaward and service contracts budgets.
- Manage and oversee staff in and functions of human resources, logistics, and procurement ensuring they provide timely, effective, compliant, and cost effective support to program implementation.
- Provide leadership, training and mentoring in the development of financial plans and management tools
- Ensures programs use the necessary financial and administrative systems and tools, to inform and improve the program, as well as feed into the broader country-level financial system and country strategy.
- Participates in the facilitation of country and sector-level strategic planning sessions, assisting program managers and senior management in the development of their annual plans.
Capacity Building And Mentoring:
- Develops and oversees implementation of the finance staff and partner capacity building strategy that promotes a culture of learning through systematic analysis and reflection of financial data.
- Build the capacity of all relevant team members to develop and maintain an excellent financial system, including regular reflection and analysis of program monitoring data.
- Work closely with Program Managers, Human Resources and Finance to ensure that financial management skills are incorporated into all program position descriptions and positions are budgeted for.
- Contributes to the knowledge management repository with best practices in financial management and ensure that it is accessible to all staff and partners.
- Create and sustain a work environment of mutual respect where team members strive to achieve excellence.
Internal And External Coordination:
- Active contributor and collaborator with regional and global counterparts to promote the use of financial management and administration best practices.
- Strengthen linkages with other internal resources, including the LMS, Digital Library, Hub, and Connect, to enhance organizational learning where relevant to financial management and administration.
- Maintain close working relationships with financial management counterparts in other relevant actors and counterparts in Nigeria.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve – we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability To Beneficiaries:
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
- Finance team members
- Reports Directly To: Chief of Party
- Works Directly With: Program Sector Managers, Program Managers, Reporting & Communications Officers, Country Director, Finance, and Operations teams. Coordinates with HQ Program Performance team and the Technical Support Unit.
Knowledge and Experience
- Master’s degree in business administration, finance or a related field.
- An ACA/ACCA/CPA or other recognized professional accounting qualification.
- At least seven (7) years of progressively responsible experience in accounting, auditing,finance, or business management, including at least three (3) years of post-qualification experience as an auditor with a recognized public or private firm or as a finance manager with a reputable civil society organization or donor agency.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and manage large budgets, and in-depth knowledge of
- USG Cost Accounting Standards.
- Progressively responsible experience supervising project operations, including human resources, procurement, and sub-contracts or sub-awards.
- Excellent organizational, analytical, and English oral and written communication skills;demonstrated supervisory skills; and ability to work well on a team.
- Previous experience in building or enhancing civil society organization financial management capacity.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs, i.e., Excel, Word, PowerPoint, etc., and the ability to use various commercially available accounting software programs.
- Experience of working on USAID programs preferred
- Previous experience living and working in challenging or insecure environments.
- Nigeria/West Africa experience preferred.
- Fluency in spoken and written English required.
- Knowledge of local dialects is preferred.
- A successful candidate will have a demonstrated ability to lead and communicate effectively with team members of varied work styles and cultures, follow procedures, and meet deadlines with flexibility and creativity in planning and problem solving.
- S/he will have a proven ability to learn quickly, multi-task, prioritize, take initiative, and be accountable for results, understand the larger picture while remaining focused on the details, problem solving, work within a complex and sensitive setting and to follow laws and security protocols
- The most successful Mercy Corps team members have a strong commitment to teamwork and accountability, thrive in evolving and changing environments and make effective written and verbal communication a priority in all situations.
Living /Environmental Conditions:
- The position is based in the capital city Abuja with regular travel to other parts of Nigeria. The location is accompanied and generally secure. Housing, health care, water, electricity and consumer goods are all reasonably accessible and there are good international and domestic travel options from Abuja Airport. Air travel is necessary to get to some field locations. Mobile phones services are widely available. Internet is available in all Mercy Corps offices with some inconsistencies in the most remote sites. There is a wide variety of schools with different education philosophies and curriculum (British, American, French, and German to name the few). This position requires 40% travel by road and air to field offices that are located in highly insecure locations.
- Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours when deployed in a field posting or on a short term assignments. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and Mercy Corps’ policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
- Fostering a diverse and open workplace is an important part of Mercy Corps’ vision. Mercy Corps is an Equal Opportunity Employer regardless of background. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment.
Deadline: 29th June, 2019.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV and Cover Letters in one document, addressing the position requirements, reference number and location to:email@example.com using the “Job Title” as subject of the email.
- All applications must include the position title and reference number in the subject line
- Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview
- We are an equal opportunity organization so women are strongly encouraged to apply for this position