Job at the World Health Organization, 10th June, 2019
World Health Organization (WHO) is the directing and coordinating authority for health within the United Nations system. It is responsible for providing leadership on global health matters, shaping the health research agenda, setting norms and standards, articulating evidence-based policy options, providing technical support to countries and monitoring and assessing health trends.
We are recruiting to fill the vacant position below:
Job Title: Malaria Surveillance, Monitoring and Evaluation Officer – NOC
Job ID: 1902756
Contractual Arrangement: Special Services Agreement (SSA)
Contract duration: 12 Months
Organization: AF_NGA Nigeria
Purpose of the Position
- To provide technical support to the country in strengthening availability and use of data for malaria decisions/actions that contribute to the reduction of malaria morbidity and mortality.
Description of Duties
Under the direct supervision of the WR, the technical officer will:
- Facilitate evidence-based policy and strategic dialogue involving national policy makers and partners at national level as a process for monitoring the implementation of malaria strategies, discussing capacity gaps and planning for effective implementation of malaria control and elimination
- Strengthen national malaria surveillance systems including other systems for generation of strategic information for evidence-based targeting of malaria interventions for enhanced malaria burden reduction, through adoption, adaptation and application of relevant WHO norms and standards, guidelines, manuals and tools and appropriate technologies and e-platforms
- Build capacity on use of surveillance and other health data for malaria risk mapping at national and sub-national levels
- Guide evidence-based targeting of high risk areas with appropriate antimalarial interventions; Monitor the impact of such interventions at subnational levels with the aim of adapting strategies for enhanced impact
- Contribute to documentation and publication of best practices on use of available evidence for targeting interventions at national and subnational levels
- Undertake any other functions assigned
- Other tasks assigned
- Essential: Advanced University Degree plus Postgraduate Master’s Degree in Medical Epidemiology, Biostatistics or Public Health or other relevant health related fields
- Desirable: Master’s Degree or PHD in Malariology or Communicable Diseases Epidemiology.
- Essential: Five years of experience in the development and evaluation of national disease surveillance systems.
- Desirable: At least five years working experience in malaria control programme or malaria research at international level including experience working in WHO would be an asset
Use of Language Skills:
- Essential: Expert knowledge of English.
Specific Skills Required:
- Proven skills and knowledge in the development and evaluation of disease surveillance systems in a public health setting
- Demonstrated skills in capacity building especially training of health workers
- Presentation and communication skills
- Broad knowledge of the principles and practices of communicable disease epidemiology with specific experience in malaria surveillance and operational research
- Proven experience in the development and evaluation of systems, policies, strategies, guidelines and tools for malaria control and/or elimination
- Producing results
- Fostering integration and teamwork
- Communicating in a credible and effective way
- Creating an empowering and motivating environment
- Moving forward in a changing environment.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 24th June, 2019
Note: The deadline for receipt of applications indicated above reflects your personal device’s system settings.