The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to people affected by war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Safety and Security Assistant (Nationals Only)
Requisition ID: req5478
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Sector: Safety & Security
Employment Category: Regular
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
- This is an exciting position for a highly motivated and dedicated candidate to grow and develop a career in IRC security management structures.
- The successful candidate will be under the direct supervision of the Safety and Security Manager(SSM), with technical backing of the Safety and Security Coordinator(SSC) and will assist in building up the awareness and preparedness of staff, visitors, and volunteers to deal with dynamic security-related risks, threats and incidents within the area of responsibility.
- The SSA will maintain a high level of contextual awareness of his/her operating area and strong coordination with IRC Program and Operations support teams at the field level. He/she will form a wide web of network to proactively source, collate and disseminate relevant security information.
- The SSA will participate in conducting collaborative security risk assessments with all field staff in line with the standard IRC security management structures.
- The SSA will ensure that staff within in his or her area of jurisdiction comply with existing SOPs and other risk mitigation plans guided by the acceptance, protection and deterrence strategies.
- The SSA will be based in Maiduguri with frequent travels to IRC Program locations in Magumeri, Gajigana, Auno, Kaga and Bama and will on need basis support any other IRC Base location as may be assigned from time to time.
- As part of IRC Safety and Security Team (SST), the SSA will support with continuous monitoring of the security context in the operational areas for which he/she is responsible and give timely information to the supervisor which will feed into the review of existing FSMPs, CIMP and SOPs.
- Accompany program staff to field missions withy the AoR in order to better develop an awareness of the challenges faced by IRC staff in the field
- Ensure that any incident occurring in IRC program site is timey and properly reported and documented using the existing incident reporting templates.
- Work closely with program staff to ensure that security clearance request forms and properly prepared and submitted on time to supervisor for signing.
- She/He will ensure that Program staff traveling to different location depart office in recommended time and they carry functional communication equipment (VHF, Satellite Phone), and that the vehicles are well equipped.
- Work closely with SSO to conduct daily tracking of staff who are visiting program locations and report the details to supervisor.
- Maintain contacts with government security forces, Local community Heads and other key external stakeholders during travel to Program sites to ensure that IRC staff can maintain regular and safe access to program areas, and report any access challenges to the supervisor.
- Assist the SSM to supervise and liaise on daily basis with the contracted guards to ensure the guard force is aware of IRC SOPs and are effectively enforcing the required regulations.
- Assist the SSM to conduct regular training with contracted security guards and ensure that a duty rota/roster is developed and followed.
- During a critical incident at the program sites he/she will support the staff to respond appropriately and report to supervisor.
Key Working Relationships:
- Position Reports to: The Safety & Security Manager
- Position directly supervises: nil
- Indirect Reporting: Base Managers/ Safety & Security Coordinator
Required Qualifications and skill:
- A Higher National Diploma or Advanced Diploma in Security Operations and Management/ Criminology/ Disaster Management/Public administration/ International relations/Business Administration/ Education – Languages or a field related to humanitarian work. A bachelors’ degree in similar field will be added advantage.
- Mandatory Computer use skills (including MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and internet)
- Fluency in English (written, spoken, comprehension). Knowledge of local north east language is highly desired.
- Must have completed NYSC service or submit exception certificate
- Training in First Aid and Fire Safety.
- Relevant security management certifications will be addede adavataget
- Competent report writing skills.
- Basic Mapping or GIS skills
- Disaster management and response training/ certification
- At least 1 year security-related experience with UN/INGOs/CBOs operating in the North East Nigeria either in safety and security, logistics or administration. Relevant experience form any other institution will also be considered.
- Ability to comprehend security related subjects such as threat/risk assessment, security management, and personal and organizational physical security awareness.
- Previous services with any of the Nigerian Disciplined forces (Police, Army, NSCDC, etc) will be a desired advantage. Certificate of discharge or recommendation from immediate supervisor will be required as proof.
- Proven experience or ability of working effectively in complex security environments and situations with an articulate understanding of the conflict in northeast.
- Ability to work closely, professionally and constructively with all others regardless of nationality, ethnicity, gender, religion, race, tribe, or cultural background.
- Sound judgment/ open minded and the ability to work under minimal supervision
- Strong assessment, evaluation, analysis and planning skills
- Interpersonal communication and proven written / presentation skills
- Demonstrated ability to work under stressful conditions
- Demonstrated knowledge of the historical and socio-political context of Nigeria.
- Flexibility and ability to work long hours and to be deployed on short notice.
- The position is based in Maiduguri covering Magumeri, Gajigana, Auno, Kaga and Bama with frequent travels to IRC Base Offices situated in northeast Nigeria.
- Successful candidate will be provided with a comprehensive on job inductions, trainings and mentoring to develop his/her capacity and career in INGO Security Management systems.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Note: Qualified Female Candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.