Current Employment at Medecins Sans Frontieres – Jigawa, Maiduguri
Médecins Sans Frontières is a private, non-profit international humanitarian organization dedicated to providing medical assistance to populations in crisis, without discrimination and regardless of race, religion, creed or political affiliation. In Jahun, Jigawa State MSF France works with the MoH to in maternal and newborn health in the Jahun Government hospital and in some primary health care facilities.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Site Study Coordinator
Location: Jahun, Jigawa
Duration: 10 months
Type of contract: Fixed term contract / 208 hours / month
Roster, flexibility required
Start date: August 2019
- The AMoCo Study (Abortion-related Morbidity and mortality in Conflict-affected settings) aims to describe and estimate the burden of abortion-related complications, particularly near-miss complications and deaths, and their associated factors among women presenting for abortion-related complications in health facilities supported by Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) in African fragile and/or conflict-affected settings. The AMoCo Study is supported through collaboration between MSF, the Guttmacher Institute and pas and the Federal and Jigawa State Ministry of Health in Nigeria.
Main Purpose of the Position
- Under the responsibility of the Epicentre Coordinating Principal Investigator of the study (based in Paris), the Nigeria site Study Coordinator will be in charge of implementing the AMoCo Study within the Ministry of Health’s gyneco/obstetrics ward of the Jahun general hospital, in Jigawa Nigeria.
- Organize and lead the implementation of the study in the field (incl. but not limited to study internal and external coordination, training, pilot, data collection, data entry, data management & monitoring, quality processes);
- Elaboration and implementation of the work plan and update it accordingly all along the study;
- Ensure that all authorizations are obtained before the start of the study (ethical and administrative);
- Train the study staff on the study protocol and procedures including (but not exhaustive), Ethics and GCP, inclusion and consenting procedures, standard operating procedures, methods of quantitative and qualitative interviews, study case report forms (CRF), quantitative questionnaires and qualitative interviews guides, data entry, data quality processes, data management and monitoring;
- Ensure a regular contact with the Epicentre Coordinating Principal Investigator, including regular written reports on the progress of the study as well as participation to international coordination meetings;
- Ensure regular communication with local stakeholders including ministry of health, local associations, local authorities and ensure necessary declarations as per the local regulation.
- Medical/clinical diploma: Medical Doctor, Midwife or Nurse specialized in Gynecology/Obstetric with research experience preferably/ Masters of Epidemiology or Public Health, or other relevant degree.
- Experience in management of field health research, in epidemiology (experience in implementing cohort studies and/or quantitative interviews and/or qualitative interviews is an asset) in low and middle income countries,
- Experience in project management and team management.
- Fluent English (speaking, reading, writing),
- Hausa will be an additional and
- French is a plus.
- Essential computer literacy (word, excel)
- Knowledge of software for data entry (ex: EpiData, Access, RedCap) is a plus,
- Excellent communication skills, including writing skills in English
- Rigorous, dynamic personality and able to work effectively within a multi-cultural team.
Job Title: Outreach Watsan Supervisor
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Type of contract: Open contract / 208 hours / month
Start Date: ASAP
Main Purpose of the Position
- Identifying and evaluating Water, Hygiene and Sanitation critical needs outside of MSF infrastructures and reporting.
- With the objective to improve health and living conditions of the target population, proposing, implementing and supervising Watsan activities, including tools and materials employed according to MSF standards and protocols.
- Assess the general situation in terms of access to water and sanitation in Maiduguri LGA and mostly in Maiduguri city focusing on IDPs settlements and camps, with the objective to identify urgent needs or gaps.
- Participate at coordination meetings with others actors in Borno State (WASH or Logistic clusters/meetings), improve the network with the other humanitarian and non-humanitarian actors with Community Leaders and key members, local authorities involved in WASH; and advocacy process with other actors to increase the efficiency of his action engages.
- Plans for field visits according to information gathered from his network or upon request from his hierarchy, and/or identifies “hot-spots” in cooperation with the medical teams depending on security context
- Conducts WATSAN assessment according to MSF standards and write compulsory reports to his manager, including technical proposals and recommendations if relevant/required.
- Make proposal and supervise operation based on orientation of MSF objective ( managing subcontractor, HR, evaluation activities)
- Put in place a monthly action plan in link with his activities (Field visit, cluster, operational supervision, training, assessment presentation and monthly report presentation).
- Education: Technical diploma, desirable specialization in water and sanitation
- Experience: Previous experience in technical works and organizing of multiple activities within MSF or similar work environment
- Language: Fluent in spoken and written English is preferred and Hausa is an advantage
- Knowledge: Essential computer literacy (word, excel)
- Competencies: Results Teamwork Flexibility Commitment Stress management
N303,781 as Monthly Gross salary of Naira (three hundred three thousand seven hundred eighty one naira only) plus 13th month allowance equivalent to 1 month of gross salary.
Deadline: 15th July, 2019.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should submit the following documents below to: firstname.lastname@example.org Using the “Job Title” as the subject of the mail.
Documents to provide:
- Cover letter
- Updated CV
- Copies of diploma(s) and work certificate(s) relevant for the position
- ID copy.