Education Officer Vacancy at the Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC)
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, emergency food security, and water, sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters, NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours’ notice when a crisis occurs.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Education Officer
Ref. nr.: 4109101885
Location: Mubi, Adamawa
Reports to: The Area Manager
- We are looking for an Education Coordinator for our Field Office in Mubi, Adamawa State – Nigeria. The purpose of the Education Coordinator is to Implement NRC Education programme in line with NRC’s Education strategy.
- Responsible for the implementation of strategic plans and the management of day-to-day project activities including staff, budget and assets in area of responsibility (AOR).
- Promote the rights of IDPs, returnees and the host community in line with Sphere and the INEE Minimum Standards
- Contribute to the development of project proposals, logframes, workplans and budgets
- Contribute to Education strategy development, as well as advocacy an d emergency strategies and action plans; provide input on needs/gaps
- Representation and coordination in internal and external forums on behalf of NRC Education in AOR, including with the Cluster/Sector/WG and other active NGOs/UN agencies
- Liaise and collaborate with relevant local authorities and other key stakeholders
- Supervision, motivation, and support to the Education team, including recruitment, orientation, training, and performance management
- Provide technical and logistics/operational support and oversight to project staff on youth programming and alternative education activities in area of responsibility; ensure SOPs are in place and logistical and operational needs are met.
- Provide leadership and support on the design and rollout of NRC’s youth programming, including life skills, basic literacy/numeracy, and vocational training
- Coordinate delegated portfolio of activities in line with proposals, strategies and donor requirements, ensuring high technical quality
- Ensure capacity building of project staff and the transfer of key skills; support capacity building of teachers and other education personnel
- Prepare accurate monthly, quarterly and final narrative reports, logframes, and Sector 5Ws
- Any other task relevant to the position as requested by the line and/or technical manager
- At least 3 years’ experience in similar positions
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Solis computer skills, including MS Word, Outlook and excel
- Ability to work diligently both independently and in a team setting
- Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile
- Willingness to travel regularly to the field in under-resourced settings
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal required; knowledge of local language(s) an asset
- Education degree or similar field
- Minimum of 3 years of teaching experience
- Experience in Teachers’ training
- Experience in budget management
- Experience from working in an Education project implementation position in a humanitarian/recovery context
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
Context related skills, knowledge and experience (shall be adapted to the specific position):
- Knowledge of the Education context in N.E Nigeria, particularly Mubi, Gwoza and Pulka
- Knowledge of the circumstances, needs and challenges conflict-affected host community, returnee and IDP children face local
- Experience with youth/adolescent programming, particularly vocational training
- Experience with alternative/accelerated education in a humanitarian context
- Experience working with children and/or educators
- Experience liaising with multiple stakeholders at the LGA level an asset
- Experience with strategic development, including proposal and budget creation preferred
- Understanding of SPHERE and INEE Minimum Standards is required
- Candidates with university and/or advanced degree preferred; significant experience in the field of Education, PSS or Child Protection considered in lieu
- Education title: Bachelors’ degree or equivalent
- College / University, Bachelor’s degree
- Managing resources and achieving results
- Handling insecure environments
- Working with people
- Coping with change
- Ability to work under pressure, independently and with limited supervision
Communicating with impact and respect:
- All employees of the Norwegian Refugee Council should be able to adhere to our Code of Conduct and the four organizational values: Dedicated, innovative, inclusive and accountable.
- Commencement: ASAP/September 2019 (One year renewal)
- Duration: 4 months
- Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s general directions (Grade Level 7 Step 1)
- Duty stations: Mubi, Adamawa State – North East Nigeria with 50% frequent travels. Travel outside duty stations is dependent on changing security conditions, especially for certain roads in the area.
- Approved health certificate will be requested before contract start.
- Travel: Some travelling must be expected
Deadline: 29th July, 2019.
Application Procedures and CV Registration:
- Please note that you are required to enter the geographical location for all your previous positions while registering your CV. There is no specific field for this information in our CV form, but you can use the “Company name” field for both company and location
Note: Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.